Why is this called Sniper Elite?

#1Buddy_DacotePosted 5/4/2012 6:07:21 AM
So since this guy is a sniper, he infiltrates bunkers, blows stuff up and slaughters Germans with a submachine gun? It would make more sense if he was a sniper placed in a sabotage unit, acting as that unit's sharpshooter. Then they could give us more fitting equipment, like the De Lisle or the SDK rifle (we already got the welrod). It wouldn't change the game much, but it would make more sense, since a true sniping game would perhaps be a little boring.
#2Mister MassielPosted 5/4/2012 6:13:53 AM
Buddy_Dacote posted...
So since this guy is a sniper, he infiltrates bunkers, blows stuff up and slaughters Germans with a submachine gun? It would make more sense if he was a sniper placed in a sabotage unit, acting as that unit's sharpshooter. Then they could give us more fitting equipment, like the De Lisle or the SDK rifle (we already got the welrod). It wouldn't change the game much, but it would make more sense, since a true sniping game would perhaps be a little boring.

If you think about it, if the game restricted you to just laying entrenched, and just being limited to taking the long shot, the game would play out more like a lousy iPhone sniper game. Scan for enemies, take the shot, rinse & repeat.

I'll take this game, thanks.

Now that it's officially here, I'm pleased to report that it is KICK-ASS.
---
If other people are going to talk, conversation becomes impossible
James Mcneill Whistler
#3Buddy_Dacote(Topic Creator)Posted 5/4/2012 6:51:35 AM
Yeah, that's what I said. It's just that the title doesn't really fit the game. It was the same with Ghost Warrior.
#4The LiberatorPosted 5/4/2012 6:56:25 AM
The blowing up bunker complaint I sort of get but why are you angry about the submachine gun. Think about it, if you a covert single man infiltrator wouldn't you want an emergency weapon just in case?

The gun is slow to aim and has very limited ammo, it's obvious you're not supposed to be running around and gunning with it. It's an emergency weapon.
---
http://deathbymeko.deviantart.com/
Just to let you know, I hate each and every one of you.
#5Buddy_Dacote(Topic Creator)Posted 5/4/2012 7:50:39 AM
I'm not complaining about anything related to the gameplay, just that this is called Sniper Elite when most of the game isn't really about what snipers actually do. It just feels like the devs have no clue, kind of when hollywood makes movies about hackers and doctors.
#6Mvsevm_of_SkinPosted 5/4/2012 8:09:32 AM
Buddy_Dacote posted...
I'm not complaining about anything related to the gameplay, just that this is called Sniper Elite when most of the game isn't really about what snipers actually do. It just feels like the devs have no clue, kind of when hollywood makes movies about hackers and doctors.

True. In real life, snipers inch their way for hours to a single waypoint. They then spend minutes, even hours calculating and sizing up their shot. Then after all that, the shot may not even occur. Is that the game you want?

Also, WWII snipers would keep an SMG and side-arm on their person for the very reason why the video game character has them; because sometimes, you need the tool that fits the job. If you're a sniper, and your position has been compromised, wouldn't you want an SMG as back-up? It's not the devs fault that players want to bum-rush the enemy. In my playstyle, the SMG is a last resort because, well, I'm too busy sniping!

Lastly, it's funny that the term "sniper" has been miscontrued in the gaming community. The devs seem to have an understanding of the various "snipers" in history, and gave us the perfect balance. The devs understand IMO... the gamers... not so much.
#7Buddy_Dacote(Topic Creator)Posted 5/4/2012 8:48:54 AM
Mvsevm_of_Skin posted...

True. In real life, snipers inch their way for hours to a single waypoint. They then spend minutes, even hours calculating and sizing up their shot. Then after all that, the shot may not even occur. Is that the game you want?.

Nope, as I said it would be boring. What I want is the setting and plot to better reflect reality, since the game obviously tries to come across as authentic. It just annoys me that the game is called "Sniper Elite" and is about a sniper, when the game we got is more like a sabotage themed shooter with a really fleshed out sniping component.

It's not a huge problem, and I know it's very nitpicky. it's just that it feels so needlessly cheesy. Like they just wanted to cash in on the word "sniper", since apparently it'll turn a bad game into a commercial success (looking at you, Ghost Warrior).
#8Mvsevm_of_SkinPosted 5/4/2012 9:12:55 AM
Yeah, at this point, we would be knit-picking semantics or creating new games.

Maybe if they called it "Kill Master Deathocalypse V2: Pew Pew Blam Blam SPLODE!" it'd be a little more reasonable.
#9k1lo19Posted 5/4/2012 9:40:55 AM
Mvsevm_of_Skin posted...
Buddy_Dacote posted...

True. In real life, snipers inch their way for hours to a single waypoint. They then spend minutes, even hours calculating and sizing up their shot. Then after all that, the shot may not even occur. Is that the game you want?

Also, WWII snipers would keep an SMG and side-arm on their person for the very reason why the video game character has them; because sometimes, you need the tool that fits the job. If you're a sniper, and your position has been compromised, wouldn't you want an SMG as back-up? It's not the devs fault that players want to bum-rush the enemy. In my playstyle, the SMG is a last resort because, well, I'm too busy sniping!

Lastly, it's funny that the term "sniper" has been miscontrued in the gaming community. The devs seem to have an understanding of the various "snipers" in history, and gave us the perfect balance. The devs understand IMO... the gamers... not so much.

Damn son you got pwned
---
honestly no one cares what games your currently playing
#10Face_LostPosted 5/4/2012 9:43:38 AM
It's impossible to get an actual sniping title to be published, so the closest thing you can make that isn't indie is something like this.
---
Trolling: The act of expressing an opinion.