Has Gearbox said anything about a higher focus on online security?

#1dragoonsoulPosted 8/23/2011 1:59:42 PM
The option of being able to play co-op without having friends online would be great.
---
"Funny thing about being a game designer, there's 5 million people who think they know my job better than I do." ~Demize99
#2VampLordAdamaruPosted 8/23/2011 2:45:56 PM
I'm trying to figure out what you're asking, but it really doesn't make sense whatsoever...

Are you asking if you can play private online matches that are invite-only? You always could in BL1.

Are you asking if you can play open online matches that anyone can join? You always could in BL1.

Are you asking if you can play split-screen? You always could in BL1.

Are you asking if you can play solo off-line? You always could in BL1.

Are you asking if you can play solo online when no one is on, but invite someone if they get online without exiting the game? You always could... Yes, that's right... In BL1.

Now, if you're asking if you can play split-screen AND play online, and have other people join online, no, you can't... At least, they've yet to say you can, and I doubt it will happen..

Also, no word on system link yet.
---
There are no stupid questions... There are, however, a LOT of stupid people...
(Founder - IRDC AND Fluffy the Friendly Deathclaw Fanclub) FEAR MY SPORK!!
#3dragoonsoul(Topic Creator)Posted 8/23/2011 2:56:39 PM
No, I'm asking if Gearbox has said anything about better online security to prevent hacks/mods with randoms in co-op.

The part about friends was implying that you can't find a good hack free game in Borderlands unless you play with people you know.
---
"Funny thing about being a game designer, there's 5 million people who think they know my job better than I do." ~Demize99
#4GujinKamiPosted 8/23/2011 3:01:12 PM

Are you asking if you can play open online matches that anyone can join? You always could in BL1.

Problem there was everyone was running around with Eridian Orions, Shredder Shredders and Double Anarchys with 900x12 DAM and 40.9 RoF, which then all they want to do is dual, show off their e-peen, and never even play Borderlands.

Can't hide the fact that blind co-op was never fun in BL1
---
http://i52.tinypic.com/1548s40.jpg
R.I.P. Crapcom 1983-2011
#5MonoxideHektikPosted 8/24/2011 12:15:14 AM
You could always decline duels???
---
How is making money be illegal. - JDM_Jev
I am topic killer. GT: Chrizwald---Halo Reach, MW2, Rock Band 2
#6Breaker BladePosted 8/24/2011 7:45:25 AM
They did make a statement which suggested they were looking at online data storage (probably cloud), but I'm not sure how this would work for offline play.
---
Currently playing: WoW, SC II, LoL, L.A. Noire
Currently watching: Twin Peaks, Louie, Breaking Bad
#7VampLordAdamaruPosted 8/24/2011 8:04:27 AM
What you're asking isn't really about security, then.

It's simply about preventing anyone from making modded equipment, which is difficult when you have a system that has items using (essentially) interchangeable parts.

That would be like saying, "Hey! Let's make it so no one can make mods for PC games, especially BethSoft's TES and Fallout games!"

It's extremely difficult to stop, especially now that more people are learning how to hex-edit or modify files using a USB drive.

The simple solution is, just don't play with randoms. Play with people you know, or make a topic on the boards asking for players for legit games (I.E., no modded stuff, no exploits, etc.).

I know that's not the answer you want to hear, and I'm sure someone will say, "Well they just need to try harder to keep it from happening!" Keep in mind, though, that people will always find a way. There is no such thing as a fool-proof/hack-proof program. There can be penalties for doing so, and some may take longer or be more difficult than others, but every program can be hacked. You just have to know how to do it.
---
There are no stupid questions... There are, however, a LOT of stupid people...
(Founder - IRDC AND Fluffy the Friendly Deathclaw Fanclub) FEAR MY SPORK!!
#8Mason_CainPosted 8/24/2011 8:33:38 AM
They could simply have some kind of inventory screening that detected weapons outside of the fixed parameters of the game, and then go right on ahead and ban those with modded guns, simple.

Also, implementing a better save system that saves on dropping of guns et voila, duping gone. Dashboard, and you corrupt your save.
---
[GT: Tevinter Archon]
Formerly known as Mason Cain
#9MattheauPosted 8/25/2011 8:36:58 AM
They did make a statement which suggested they were looking at online data storage (probably cloud), but I'm not sure how this would work for offline play.

It's been done before by other games for years in various forms. There is an option to play using the cloud server, which is effectively secure multiplayer. Any character that is used for secure multiplayer can only be used when you are connected online. If you don't use this option the save files are stored on the hard drive. Some of the games even leave the option for non-secured multiplayer using save data stored on the hard drive.

It's extremely difficult to stop, especially now that more people are learning how to hex-edit or modify files using a USB drive.

These aren't new things or that difficult to stop or at least hinder. If the item system is set up to prevent weapons and shields more powerful than what should drop normally, there is far less incentive for modders. At most, they save time getting those items, but that isn't what a lot of modders actually want. If they can't be invincible gods capable of killing anything in a single shot, they are mostly going to lose interest and go to other games. In a lot of cases, these aren't people that are very skilled or patient with games. If you hinder them, they lose interest.
#10GujinKamiPosted 8/25/2011 11:47:30 AM

You could always decline duels???

Then your kicked and you receive 37 messages about how you're "TOO SCURRD" to fight.
---
http://i52.tinypic.com/1548s40.jpg
R.I.P. Crapcom 1983-2011