We may be getting a color blind option!

#1Ninja_GaignunPosted 7/25/2012 6:36:01 PM
A year ago I pitched an idea on the Gearbox boards for a color blind option for identifying loot, it got some positive buzz but eventually died.

So about 2 days ago I made a new topic and got close to 70 supporters, turns out one of them was Botman, a programmer working for Gearbox who had the same issues as me and my fellow color blind gamers.

So what's he do? He relays our plight to the Art and Design team! He said they will see if it can be put into the game and possibly in future Gearbox titles.

If your colorblind or simply support the issue, get to the Gearbox forums and cast your vote on the Color Blind Support Thread poll!
---
Fun Fact: I can play games with normal, inverted, and South Paw controls.
#2GigabomberPosted 7/25/2012 7:11:32 PM(edited)
You know, I've been lurking over there for about two weeks. Just read your post and was actually shocked that they didn't have an option considering how friendly they are to their base. I'm going to create an account and vote on it, and it would be great if other's did too.

http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=141929
#3Ninja_Gaignun(Topic Creator)Posted 7/25/2012 7:27:16 PM
Gigabomber posted...
You know, I've been lurking over there for about two weeks. Just read your post and was actually shocked that they didn't have an option considering how friendly they are to their base. I'm going to create an account and vote on it, and it would be great if other's did too.

http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=141929

According to Botman the reason they didn't have the option was because no one realized just how large the percentage of color blind gamers really was. No one ever spoke up till now.

7% of all males have some sort of color blindness. That's...a LOT.
---
#4Assassin_X_GethPosted 7/25/2012 7:35:10 PM
I see alot more games with coloblind options. People forget people with disabilities play games to.
---
GFAQS - Land where your opinion is what everyone else says it is.
#5viewmaster_piPosted 7/25/2012 7:57:16 PM
I support this. I sometimes use colorblind-formats just for the hell of it anyway.
---
This is my super "secret" board. Keep out.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/gentopic.php?board=565572
#6GigabomberPosted 7/25/2012 10:38:30 PM
viewmaster_pi posted...
I support this. I sometimes use colorblind-formats just for the hell of it anyway.

Same here. Should also note that, surprisingly, Call of Duty has colorblind options, so at least they felt it was worth their minimal effort to change green and red into green and orange to give one simple option.
#7FoeticidePosted 7/25/2012 11:32:23 PM
Definitely glad to see this kind of support. Can't tell you how many times i've missed "obvious" platforms, items, etc. just from being colorblind. Differentiating loot in games like this can tend to be tedious... but if Gearbox comes through on this, i'll be a very happy camper. I honestly would be surprised if they didn't, Gearbox is one of few developers, in my opinion, that has a serious penchant for involvement with the community and responding to feedback.
#8kiwimyweeweePosted 7/26/2012 12:20:25 AM
While I do understand that this would be a good option for this game, especially if it helps people, but hasn't it already been finalized?

Maybe in a later patch?
---
They're not going to say no because of the implication.
#9Ninja_Gaignun(Topic Creator)Posted 7/26/2012 1:53:40 AM
kiwimyweewee posted...
While I do understand that this would be a good option for this game, especially if it helps people, but hasn't it already been finalized?

Maybe in a later patch?

While the game is finished, they have not gone into production, they are still weeding out issues. Botman said he didn't know if they had enough time, if they did, great. If not, it could possibly end up in a future patch and will be considered for future titles.
---
#10VampLordAdamaruPosted 7/26/2012 2:44:38 AM
Simple system would be stars, 1 being the most basic and 10 (maybe higher) being the most rare.
---
If you accept Shepard as your Commander and Savior, add this to your sig. WWSD: What Would Shepard Do?
Founder - IRDC AND Fluffy the Friendly Deathclaw Fanclub