Question about the naming of the guns.

#1legend253Posted 8/4/2012 4:50:12 AM
One thing I've noticed about the guns in the gameplay videos is that the names are totally different every time. And no, not just for guns with flavor text. I've seen green guns and blue guns with wildly different names, no flavor text, and it got me wondering, "What is the naming process for the guns now?" I mean, how is it done and are there truly going to be 87 gajillion unique guns now?
---
GT: Lord Avon (if you wanna play Borderlands, message me)
Waiting on: Borderlands 2, Soul Sacrifice, etc...
#2xgruvdogxPosted 8/4/2012 7:58:35 AM
They say there are more this time. I'm not sure how it works out but they added more parts or something. There will only be millions of guns not gajillions. I won't notice a difference.
#3Assassin_X_GethPosted 8/4/2012 8:06:23 AM
Well really when you noticed the guns from the first game. Most were the same basic models, just with varied features like colors. The unique ones that has special things tended to have special names. Really most of the guns are the same, just with higher stats as you play.

I reccomend everyone gets the guide for the game. I never bought a guide before except for the first game, not for the walkthrough. But for the gun section. It explained EVERYTHING about how the guns work. From what the colors mean, what model it is, what varied "names" mean in terms of what it does. It was agreat guide!
---
GFAQS - Land where your opinion is what everyone else says it is.
#4Tbon110Posted 8/4/2012 8:09:42 AM
They've probably added more titles for guns to vary the stats. For anyone unfamiliar, guns in Borderlands received titles like Matador or Death for shotguns, depending on their stats. If it was a Death shotgun, it had high accuracy where as Matador increased the number of projectiles in the spread.
---
The greatest evil is the indifference of good men.
#5legend253(Topic Creator)Posted 8/4/2012 8:38:33 AM
Thanks for the insight. Really though, even though it's as trivial as it is, the unique naming of the weapons really excites me. One quote from an article I read was about how one of the developers (or director or some other game person, I lost the link) was standing behind people playing the demo at PAX and looking to see a gun that he hadn't seen someone play with before. Turns out he didn't. So we can assume that the looks are also massively different. I guess the bigger budget really had an effect on development.

I like big budgets and I cannot lie.
---
#6duskbroodPosted 8/4/2012 1:07:19 PM
legend253 posted...
Thanks for the insight. Really though, even though it's as trivial as it is, the unique naming of the weapons really excites me. One quote from an article I read was about how one of the developers (or director or some other game person, I lost the link) was standing behind people playing the demo at PAX and looking to see a gun that he hadn't seen someone play with before. Turns out he didn't. So we can assume that the looks are also massively different. I guess the bigger budget really had an effect on development.

I like big budgets and I cannot lie.

I am puzzled by your quote. I believe you have misspelled something as your quote states that every gun he saw at the demo he had already seen played.

I am however just going to assume that you meant to say "Turns out he did." In which case you will probably never ever have the same exact gun as someone else.
#7legend253(Topic Creator)Posted 8/4/2012 3:58:01 PM
Ahhh, you're right, I didn't think it would translate the way it did through the alteration of the context. It made sense when he wrote it because I wasn't confirming it.

In short: He did not, through the entire demo session, with all of the people that played, see the same gun twice.
---