How fun is borderlands 1 REALLY

#1pyrokinesis666Posted 8/5/2012 11:24:43 AM
The way the game looks has always thrown me off from playing that game.

The cartoony pixels don't appeal to me,

Is borderlands fun enough to where i would get used to and tolerate the cartoonish look to it.
#2bluehat94Posted 8/5/2012 11:31:10 AM
It's cel shaded, not cartoonish, it's an art style and it fits the game perfectly. It's incredibly fun, but you're going to be seeing those graphics the entire time, no matter how fun it is, you're going to have to put up with them.
---
"So my lunch today involved both a noodle packet and a sauce packet....so yeah, things are going pretty well for me."
#3LOLSUP_IMSGOODPosted 8/5/2012 11:34:52 AM
I didn't play Borderlands 1 for over a year. Picked it up the other day while I was reformatting the PC, and now I'm addicted to it again. Level'd to 30 in 2 or 3 days and now I'm debating finishing the grind and picking up the DLC to pass time before Borderlands 2 is released.

It's fun.
#4legendX66Posted 8/5/2012 11:40:24 AM
probably the best I've evr played.
---
legendX66-Ten Tails H4X and Troll H4X Sexy secretary of Haxem Rangers
Thinking is the hardest kind of work, which is probably why so few engage in it.
#5CaoSlayerPosted 8/5/2012 11:46:28 AM
bluehat94 posted...
It's cel shaded, not cartoonish, it's an art style and it fits the game perfectly. It's incredibly fun, but you're going to be seeing those graphics the entire time, no matter how fun it is, you're going to have to put up with them.

That is a common fallacy, there is not cell shading in borderlands.

http://kotaku.com/5206042/gearbox-borderlands-is-not-cel+shaded
---
Caoslayer, butchering english language since 6/9/2001
#6xgruvdogxPosted 8/5/2012 11:50:49 AM
I felt the same way about the graphics TC. I scoffed at it. I picked up GOTY edition for like 20 dollars because it had couch co op, and completely fell in love before they were even off the bus.
#7bluehat94Posted 8/5/2012 11:52:06 AM
CaoSlayer posted...
bluehat94 posted...

Then what is it exactly? Because it looks totally like cel shading.
---
"So my lunch today involved both a noodle packet and a sauce packet....so yeah, things are going pretty well for me."
#8DasBatmobilPosted 8/5/2012 12:17:38 PM
bluehat94 posted...
CaoSlayer posted...
bluehat94 posted...

I must admit it looks a hell of a lot like cell shading. The article only mentions a mysterious email in which some CEO said that it ain't cell shade. But the entire article does not mention what else it should be.

So the proof that this may or may not be cell shading via that article is is neer to nothing.

It all rather sounds like a marketing scheme to boost sales from the game since cell shade FPS isn't the most popular game genre.

This said I strongly believe its a cell shade game. Proove me otherwise by linking some useful info as to what graphic engine they are using and not an ominous email from 2009 pre release to the game.
---
In an insane world, a sane man must appear insane.
#9bluehat94Posted 8/5/2012 12:23:24 PM
DasBatmobil posted...
bluehat94 posted...
CaoSlayer posted...
bluehat94 posted...

I must admit it looks a hell of a lot like cell shading. The article only mentions a mysterious email in which some CEO said that it ain't cell shade. But the entire article does not mention what else it should be.

So the proof that this may or may not be cell shading via that article is is neer to nothing.

It all rather sounds like a marketing scheme to boost sales from the game since cell shade FPS isn't the most popular game genre.

This said I strongly believe its a cell shade game. Proove me otherwise by linking some useful info as to what graphic engine they are using and not an ominous email from 2009 pre release to the game.

I feel the same, so i'm just going to continue calling it cel shaded, but whatever it is, I think it fits the game perfectly.
---
#10Tru_NavaronePosted 8/5/2012 1:03:06 PM(edited)
Cel-shading is a technique. Gearbox do not use it. They use another technique that has a result that is similar to cel-shading. To me it looks like they just use bright colors and hard lines

there is early gameplay footage of BL1 with out the hard lines and it doesn't look too different from any other shooter in the market
---
I can tell you why there aint black folk in anime.
*random anime scenario commences* Black folk: **** that!! -dmainev3