Borderlands just oozes "Sega" to me, the Dreamcast era

#1PhaseBlackPosted 8/26/2012 10:18:13 PM
The cell-shaded visuals like Jet Grind Radio, the innovative gameplay mechanics, the humor and charm, it just makes me think of Sega and the Dreamcast every time I play it
---
PSVita & 3DS
#2StaticPenguinPosted 8/26/2012 10:20:29 PM
I love the Jet Set games. I would love to see a third. That'll never happen though like half life ep. 3.
---
I named him Waggleton P. Tallylicker. I never got the chance to tell him. He will be remembered. ~ Grayson Hunt
#3xMachRiderxPosted 8/26/2012 10:56:08 PM
Funny, i never thought of it but I see it now. Good eye.
---
Go outside.
#4ChibiraziPosted 8/26/2012 10:57:36 PM
*scratches head*
since when is the Dreamcast associated with cell-shading?
Sprite-based fighters sure,because it close resemblance to arcade machines but cell-shading?
Thats a first.

But yeah,Jet Set Radio was great =D
#5VioletZer0Posted 8/26/2012 11:10:22 PM
xMachRiderx posted...
Funny, i never thought of it but I see it now. Good eye.

I agree.

Borderlands 1 not so much but definitely Borderlands 2.

I loved the Dreamcast game aesthetic of games like Sonic adventure and Phantasy Star Online and now that you mention it, this game has like an HD version of that.
#6IncineratorPosted 8/27/2012 7:05:31 AM
Chibirazi posted...
*scratches head*

Since 2000? Dreamcast put cel-shaded graphics on the map. Wacky Races was arguably the first cel-shaded game, followed by Jet Set Radio and others such as Sonic Shuffle, Looney Tunes Space Race and Bomberman Online. The success of cel shading on Dreamcast inspired many cel shaded games on its competitor, the Playstation 2, where cel shading reached its peak popularity.
#7AethonWarriorPosted 8/27/2012 7:35:06 AM
Incinerator posted...
Chibirazi posted...
*scratches head*

Since 2000? Dreamcast put cel-shaded graphics on the map. Wacky Races was arguably the first cel-shaded game, followed by Jet Set Radio and others such as Sonic Shuffle, Looney Tunes Space Race and Bomberman Online. The success of cel shading on Dreamcast inspired many cel shaded games on its competitor, the Playstation 2, where cel shading reached its peak popularity.

PS2>Dreamcast

Okami.

That is all.
---
GT-Zenic Allfather
#8TwilightEchoesPosted 8/27/2012 7:37:26 AM
An interesting observation.
---
[Insert an "[Insert witty saying or joke]" sig here]
#9PanopictonguyPosted 8/27/2012 2:00:00 PM
AethonWarrior posted...
Incinerator posted...
Chibirazi posted...
*scratches head*

PS2>Dreamcast

Okami.

That is all.

So apparently you missed the point.

To state the obvious, without the innovative strides Sega took with the Dreamcast's titles there probably wouldn't have been an Okami.

Sega had a great machine and a lot of great games, the timing just sucked. Maybe if they waited another few years and had something equal to the Ps2 they might still be in the console war today. Hell they jump started the online gaming front too.
---
Castlevania Lords Of Lycans And Trolls