What are "modders," and how do they affect me?

#1THMBZDownGNZUpPosted 9/8/2012 2:35:22 PM
I'm fairly new to Borderlands. I've only ever played the first Borderlands in co-op with my bro but have never actually bought the game and played it fully through story and online. Although, I've pre-ordered my copy of Borderlands 2 and wanting to play online because it's looking to be a great game.

Now, I suppose "modders" are only online but being new to Borderlands, I simply don't know. Therefore, I'm wondering -- what are "modders," and how do they affect me and my online/offline and game play?
#2DarquePosted 9/8/2012 2:43:48 PM
Modders are people who mod.

Mods may or may not DESTROY YOUR FUN - depending on POV.

I don't know all the details.

I tend to play solo.
---
Jill Valentine > You
#3Seto_RyuPosted 9/8/2012 2:45:06 PM
Mods are just a test placed here by an evil being to test if you are a moral person.
#4CrayonmuffinPosted 9/8/2012 2:47:11 PM
If a modder enters your game and you KNOW they are a modder, kick them. They take the fun out of playing the game legitimately. And don't ever take modded weapons or shields from someone because that takes the fun out of the game for you...

...unless you want to do that kind of thing.
---
360 only ATM. I need a new PC.
Currently awaiting: Borderlands 2, Dishonored, XCOM:Enemy Unknown, Halo 4, Black Ops 2.
#5korruptid239Posted 9/8/2012 2:51:19 PM
THMBZDownGNZUp posted...
I'm fairly new to Borderlands. I've only ever played the first Borderlands in co-op with my bro but have never actually bought the game and played it fully through story and online. Although, I've pre-ordered my copy of Borderlands 2 and wanting to play online because it's looking to be a great game.

Now, I suppose "modders" are only online but being new to Borderlands, I simply don't know. Therefore, I'm wondering -- what are "modders," and how do they affect me and my online/offline and game play?

They create "modded" guns, like 9999999999999999 damage, modded shield for invincibility, etc.

That is the typical "modder" on Borderlands.

Problem was these guns/shield could be duped via the widely known dupe glitch and passed around, many people only would go invincible and challenge people to duels knowing they couldn't lose, and beating the hardest boss in the game Crawmerax.

Though its pretty easy to just not use a modded shield/gun you happen to find if someone drops it, so it only really ruins the games of the people who mod, or if they join your game and destroy everything in 0.1 seconds with a modded gun.

But host is free to boot people so its not that big of a deal.

They have noted wanted to crack down and prevent as much cheating/modding as possible, but hackers/modders always find a way.