Official Golden Key Info.

#1Slambo70Posted 9/12/2012 2:07:12 PM
http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=147008

So, you’ve got a Golden Key. Maybe you pre-ordered Borderlands 2 from a Premiere Club retailer or maybe you were lucky enough to snag a code from a Gearbox event or giveaway -- there are a variety of ways to get a Golden Key, and somehow you nabbed one.

“But how, O handsome Gearbox developers,” you ask, “does the Golden Key work? Exactly? Also you are very handsome.”

Firstly, thank you for the compliment. Secondly, the Golden Key is a rare item that unlocks a special Golden Chest in the friendly city of Sanctuary. Here’s what that Golden Chest looks like:

So, you’ve got a Golden Key in your profile and you start up the game. What happens next?

Firstly, you’ll have to get to the city of Sanctuary. This should take you about three hours (two hours to play through the missions leading up to Sanctuary, and one hour for physical recovery after you injure yourself laughing at the impeccably written dialog).

Then, you’ve got a decision to make. See, the loot inside the Golden Chest is always of “very rare” (purple) quality and scaled to your character’s level at the moment you open the chest. If you’ve only got one Key, you need to consider: do I want some high-quality loot right now, or do I want to wait until I’m closer to the (considerably more difficult) end of the game? Do I want my Level 21 Maya to open the chest, or should I switch to my Level 33 Axton?

Keep in mind that you cannot trade or sell Golden Keys, and once you’ve used a Key to open the Golden Chest, that Key is gone for good. So, you know. Choose carefully.

Whatever your decision, the loot you get from the Golden Chest is like any other piece of loot in the game – you can trade it, stash it, or sell it at your own discretion!
---
"I'm a love machine and I'm ready to plow the fields of exstasy. oh yeah!"-Fable-TLC
#2korruptid239Posted 9/12/2012 2:11:19 PM
Thanks for the info man, cleared up a lot of the frequently asked questions.

Doesn't matter which character you open it with because you can just stash them and trade to your other chars.

1 key per profile not character. Glad we have a trade option now, if people don't get something they want from the chest they can trade it for something they do.
#3Red01MustangGTPosted 9/12/2012 2:12:33 PM
I'll wait until I'm lvl 60 then lol.
---
Thermaltake Mozart TX | Corsair 1200W | AMD FX 8150 | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX | 16GB DDR3 | VisionTek 4870 | WD 640GB HDD X3 | Win 7
#4ThatArabGuyPosted 9/12/2012 2:15:15 PM
Hmmm I kinda have a dumb question, but what if you're with a group and someone opens the chest? Does it only get rid of their key? Or does it get rid of everyone's key as well?
---
Sometimes you gotta tape the bacon to the cat. - P.J.
#5Slambo70(Topic Creator)Posted 9/12/2012 2:16:11 PM
Np. Ya, I was hoping for maybe 1 per new character, and that they couldn't be traded, to make them a little easier to acquire but not too easy.
---
"I'm a love machine and I'm ready to plow the fields of exstasy. oh yeah!"-Fable-TLC
#6gunsndrosesPosted 9/12/2012 2:17:11 PM
God damn. I was hoping i'd be able to open it off of impulse, now I actually have to wait and exercise patience in order to get the best I can....

:/
---
Heimskr for High King
#7Slambo70(Topic Creator)Posted 9/12/2012 2:18:18 PM
ThatArabGuy posted...
Hmmm I kinda have a dumb question, but what if you're with a group and someone opens the chest? Does it only get rid of their key? Or does it get rid of everyone's key as well?

I would think just the person who opens it gets their key used, but in a mp game someone could probably take the loot if quick enough and the guy who opened the chest is screwed.
---
#8HughJorgennPosted 9/12/2012 2:22:05 PM
Slambo70 posted...
ThatArabGuy posted...

I would think just the person who opens it gets their key used, but in a mp game someone could probably take the loot if quick enough and the guy who opened the chest is screwed.

Shhhhhh, if you keep typing stuff like that you are going to f*** up my program.
#9R4NDOMGUYPosted 9/12/2012 2:27:33 PM(edited)
The one-key-per-character thing sucks. Now I won't open it until end game and then find that the weapons I have at that point far surpass the ones in the chest.

Help me GameFAQS, I cannot unto decision making. Please choose which level I should use my golden key at for me.
---
GT: ExplosiveCrate
#10ThatArabGuyPosted 9/12/2012 2:28:35 PM
Slambo70 posted...
ThatArabGuy posted...

Oh well that's good then, thanks for the info man.
---
Sometimes you gotta tape the bacon to the cat. - P.J.