It seems the obvious choice is to use the Golden Key before max level.

#1UNHappyfeetPosted 9/12/2012 5:53:33 PM
Big reason being that you'll probably have something just as good by then anyway.

Not to mention the fact that you may not even get the weapon type that would suit your character best.

For instance, I'll be playing an elemental based Maya, and at max level I'd preferably need a good elemental SMG. The Golden Chest might decide to just give me a great sniper instead.

Sure I can (*supposedly) stash it and use it on Zero but that's just more effort.

I think a good level to use it at is around 30-35. At that point you should have one skill tree maxed out and you can really know what types weapons fit your character best.

This is all just my opinion but maybe it'll help some people who can't decide when to use the key.

*Side note: Can we share any itembetween characters? Or is it just guns? And how does the sharing system even work?

Sorry for derailing the point of the topic but I've been wondering this as I never fully played through BL1.

Thanks.
---
GT: OMG ITS BryLoW
Add me if you want to play some Borderlands 2.
#2darkdragongirlPosted 9/12/2012 5:56:33 PM
Why do you use supposedly like it is a rumor? When it is in fact confirmed.

I'll use mine mid 30's or maybe at 40.
---
GT: Embrace Regret
Nerf all the classes 2012
#3ssj5kingPosted 9/12/2012 5:58:13 PM
If I need a good weapon any time in playthrough 1 then I'll use it, if not I'll just wait til the 2nd and use it once i reach Sanctuary. It's only a purple item anyways might not even be a gun for all we know.
---
Xbox Live GT: Nnnking
#4UNHappyfeet(Topic Creator)Posted 9/12/2012 7:03:29 PM
Why do you use supposedly like it is a rumor? When it is in fact confirmed.

I'll use mine mid 30's or maybe at 40.

I don't even know how the sharing system works so I just figured that other people were assuming it would be in because it was in the first game or something.
---
Add me if you want to play some Borderlands 2! Just leave a message saying you're from GFaqs!
#5MrImpatient35Posted 9/12/2012 7:09:43 PM
For the people who plan on playing twice with the same character, wouldn't they wanna wait until around level 40? 30 seems to soon.
---
I have Dysarthria. It's a Speech problem. Your question is answered now.
#6IronSasquatchPosted 9/12/2012 7:21:01 PM
I don't even know how the sharing system works so I just figured that other people were assuming it would be in because it was in the first game or something.

No, no, no. It WASN'T in the first game. It has been confirmed to be in the second.
---
Your body may be gone, I'm gonna carry you in in my head and in my heart, in my soul.
#7UNHappyfeet(Topic Creator)Posted 9/15/2012 8:06:24 AM(edited)

No, no, no. It WASN'T in the first game. It has been confirmed to be in the second.

Oh ok then! So I guess that means that no one knows how it works lol
---
Add me if you want to play some Borderlands 2! Just leave a message saying you're from GFaqs!
#8jmyoda10Posted 9/15/2012 8:07:39 AM
Just Alt+F4 if you get crappy loot, whatever level.
---
Why are so many people in personal ads looking for D&D free? What's wrong with a little tabletop roleplaying?
#9Ryan2002Posted 9/15/2012 8:10:34 AM
UNHappyfeet posted...

Oh ok then! So I guess that means that no one knows how it works lol

Watch the gameplay vids with Randy Pitchford commenting(The Maya/Axton and unveiling of Mecromancer). He has stated that there is a storage box that is shared between all characters. You put in an item, any of your cahracters can use it. It's pretty straightforward "how" it will work.
---
A Jose Canseco bat? Tell me...you didn't pay money for this.
http://tinyurl.com/45pdkzf http://oi45.tinypic.com/ofa44p.jpg http://oi40.tinypic.com/8x7i8o.jpg
#10booyakasha128Posted 9/15/2012 8:11:28 AM
It's obvious because it'll only drop purples, not legendaries. While this is great at most levels, by 50 you should be seeking top tier weapons and purples probably won't be it.

I'll open mine at the end of PT1, so I can (hopefully) have some nice loot to carry into PT2. And if it's really good I can keep it in the shared stash for future characters.
---
My name is Booya, and tacos rule (b^_^)b
http://www.last.fm/user/booyakasha128