Anything I can do to make siren build do more damage

#21GreenMage7Posted 9/13/2012 7:50:46 PM
legend253 posted...
I don't really consider melee damage as Maya to be effective. Let's be honest, people who want to play melee-centric characters should play Zer0. He has a whole skill tree built around melee.

Maya is a magic class for God's sake. I mean, if we get technical with it, she's the most ranged character of the bunch (minus Sniper Zer0). Besides, the only skills that benefit Maya for melee are Backdraft (which is nearly useless) and Mind's Eye. Unless there are other melee skills that I overlooked. I refuse to count Scorn, as even that turns melee into a ranged thing (not quite an attack).

You don't consider something to be effective when the game isn't out yet? Only Zero can be melee? Maya has multiple skills that are effective at close range. I could easily argue that Harmony is most effective at close range, constantly life stealing and such.

Here's my Harmony melee build:

http://talent.87bazillion.com/2/siren.php?000000000055205105515500015000

Which ability of hers is about being at long range? I can't find any...
#22legend253Posted 9/13/2012 8:13:59 PM
^ Oh, I don't know, the main selling point of the game being 180 bazillion guns might reference long range stuff.

Also, any of the skills that affect bullet damage, bullet speed, gun damage, elemental effect chance (which arguably affects melee, assuming Flicker boosts the chance of Backdraft melee attacks lighting enemies on fire), a skill that causes your shots to ricochet off enemies, a skill that causes a cloud of acid to pop up and corrode enemies when you shoot enemies, a skill that boosts fire rate and, yet again, gun damage when you have an enemy phaselocked, which is essentially an ability which pulls an enemy up into the air where they are more easily shot at.

Hell, even the melee override skill encourages you to be at range (it'll hit more enemies the longer its traveling, so if you're right next to a group of enemies, the slag ball will go past them after you fire it [there is gameplay of it, though it's only five or so seconds, it moves pretty quickly, I'll find the video if you need me to]).

The game doesn't have to be out to use pure and simple logic:

There are two skills that affect melee.

There are a multitude of skills which affect gun damage, bullet damage, speed, ricochetting bullets, elemental bullets, bullets that create clouds of acid, and so on.
---
GT: Lord Avon (if you wanna play Borderlands, message me)
"I'll stop it from moving!"
#23GreenMage7Posted 9/13/2012 8:15:10 PM
Shotguns are guns.
#24legend253Posted 9/13/2012 8:21:42 PM
And they aren't melee weapons.

I have no idea what you're implying with that statement. That because shotguns are generally used up close (in video games) that they are more effective within melee range? There's a Tediore legendary that, when reloaded, homes in on an enemy while shooting, then it explodes. The further away you are, the more shots hit. You're acting as if you've never seen a shotgun that has an accuracy rating of longer than 0.0.

I mained Roland in BL1, used a Hunter's Shotgun that was 343x7 and had 72.9 accuracy. Solo'd Craw with it a few times, legitimately. Not only that, but Torgue shotguns seem to have smaller spread with far-flying gyrojet ammunition. I don't think that, in all of the gameplay I've seen (which is a lot) that someone using a shotgun was within melee range (except maybe the IGN live 2-hour stream, the guy playing there kinda blew ass though).
---
#25mysteriousdudePosted 9/13/2012 8:42:59 PM
http://talent.87bazillion.com/2/siren.php?055001000005030000005505010451
i went for the same thing and i think getting wreck and sweet release would be good for a little side healing its the best dps build i could come up with
#26GreenMage7Posted 9/13/2012 8:52:07 PM
legend253 posted...
And they aren't melee weapons.

I have no idea what you're implying with that statement. That because shotguns are generally used up close (in video games) that they are more effective within melee range? There's a Tediore legendary that, when reloaded, homes in on an enemy while shooting, then it explodes. The further away you are, the more shots hit. You're acting as if you've never seen a shotgun that has an accuracy rating of longer than 0.0.

I mained Roland in BL1, used a Hunter's Shotgun that was 343x7 and had 72.9 accuracy. Solo'd Craw with it a few times, legitimately. Not only that, but Torgue shotguns seem to have smaller spread with far-flying gyrojet ammunition. I don't think that, in all of the gameplay I've seen (which is a lot) that someone using a shotgun was within melee range (except maybe the IGN live 2-hour stream, the guy playing there kinda blew ass though).

They are more effective in melee range because this IS a video game. You cherry-picked two examples. I don't have to cherry pick everything, look at EVERY OTHER SHOTGUN. Shotguns have a high probability of having a large spread in this game, and many have incredibly strong melee attatchments.

When you look at the talents I selected, they obviously have synergy with being up close and personal with the enemy. That's a fact. I don't even know what you're arguing with me about. I made a high dps build that revolves around being up close and personal and I think it's better than Zero because it hits multiple enemies and does strong melee damage to the focus fire. There.
#27legend253Posted 9/13/2012 8:56:18 PM(edited)
I'm not denying the fact that melee or close range can be effective.
I'm arguing that long range or last the least, medium range, is more effective.

EDIT: Zer0's shotgun ninja build would still be better.
---
#28GreenMage7Posted 9/13/2012 8:58:06 PM
legend253 posted...
I'm not denying the fact that melee or close range can be effective.
I'm arguing that long range or last the least, medium range, is more effective.

http://talent.87bazillion.com/2/siren.php?055001450050050000005005410000#none

That's your build. Which part of that build works better at long range than short range. The only thing I see is you lose out on over half of seven talent points (the melee ones) by not being in close range.
#29GreenMage7Posted 9/13/2012 8:58:55 PM
legend253 posted...
EDIT: Zer0's shotgun ninja build would still be better.

If you're fighting one enemy. Most gameplay I've seen is not fighting one enemy.