Attention players; how's the melee?

#1Ki_cat_Posted 9/16/2012 11:47:11 PM
I know it's been tweaked but to what extent? Is Zero actually very good with the huge melee bonus? Thank you.
---
People are afraid of what they don't understand.
#2theweezrPosted 9/17/2012 12:00:07 AM
some characters(from what i know zero and maya) can gain changed to their melee attacks in their skill tree and gain special bonuses and unique melee attacks
---
Quod Sum Eris
#3CrayonmuffinPosted 9/17/2012 12:01:09 AM
Melee will be fine for first playthrough. Only question is if it will scale well enough at level 50 end game. I'm guessing it's not but no one will know until someone with a melee build gets that far.
---
360 only ATM. I need a new PC.
Currently awaiting: Borderlands 2, Dishonored, Halo 4, Black Ops 2.
#4Ki_cat_(Topic Creator)Posted 9/17/2012 12:06:04 AM
No, it'll be noticeable if you try it on a few enemies. Lilith wasn't too great but a lot of people thought the melee would be op.
---
People are afraid of what they don't understand.
#5WHLTE_RLDERPosted 9/17/2012 12:11:50 AM
From vids I have seen (livestreams etc) it looks fine.

I live in the uk though so I won't get it till friday...
But I'll be using a melee Zero build so I will find out I guess.

I know for a fact that against crowds and larger enemies that a sniper/cunning zero will be MORE viable... But it will be fun as all hell playing with a melee build.
---
GT: WHLTE RLDER
#6Big_Ed_MustaphaPosted 9/17/2012 12:37:19 AM
I think end game you'll be fine with a melee build, by that point you'll have 'Many Must Fall' so every time you kill deception will be reset.

Combine that with the cunning skill 'Unforseen' so every spent hologram explodes with shock damage, and you'll be running round backstabbing the crap of a lot of confused mobs of enemies that will potentially never see you.

Depending on skill management I think Zer0's melee will be very viable at higher levels
---
King of the evil/normal monkeys who are now mostly normal but flesh eating while frowned upon is not entirely rare
#7CrayonmuffinPosted 9/17/2012 12:41:08 AM
Deception doesn't fully reset^ You only get an extra 3 seconds max I think which makes it a little harder to jump around the field. End game first playthrough will be good but by mid-end of second playthrough enemies won't go down so easily so most melee skills won't be as good as sniping
---
360 only ATM. I need a new PC.
Currently awaiting: Borderlands 2, Dishonored, Halo 4, Black Ops 2.
#8ACCEL360Posted 9/17/2012 12:47:14 AM
You'll be doing ridiculous damage, so I don't think you'll have that much trouble in that department.

If a Zer0 player focuses on reducing recharge time and increasing deception time, I think they'll be very good by the end.
---
~The Ghost Rider of the C&GN Board
NUFF SAID!!
#9MalzelPosted 9/17/2012 12:50:24 AM
Even with that +800% melee damage, and on a crit with crit bonuses, Lilith's melee was pretty bad in the end.
So we'll see!
#10F_WolfPosted 9/17/2012 1:32:31 AM
Ki_cat_ posted...
I know it's been tweaked but to what extent? Is Zero actually very good with the huge melee bonus? Thank you.

Actually, after some screwing around with this...it doesn't appear that melee can crit.

This is a huge deal breaker for Melee builds for Zero. Why? Well, put it this way. At level 5, my regular old white sniper rifle does 67 damage, or 344 on a crit, which is a little more then 500% If you played BL1, you know that if your not criting, your barely doing damage.

A regular old Melee attack only does 46 damage.

Already this is looking terrible. That 650% extra damage you get with Melee for deception? It makes the Melee attack to 345...which is, unsurprisingly, almost the same exact amount a regular crit with the sniper rifle is doing. The difference is, the sniper rifle crit isn't on a 15 second cool down.

Now, I could be wrong, and melee does crit, but after 30 mins of screwing around with it, I CAN NOT get it to crit. In or out of deception. Even if it does crit, if you are using Ambush/Backstab, you wouldn't be criting anyway due to the way the character models typically hold them selves unless the enemy has crit locations on their back.