Is this game fun single player? Does it get boring on your own?

#1The_RemembrancePosted 9/19/2012 5:18:55 AM
I didn't own Borderlands but played it a number of times at a relatives house. Very fun game to play Co-op.

Is this game fun single player though? I can see it getting really repetitive and all the fun moments won't seem as great without friends. I don't have LIVE for the moment so was wondering whether to get it and play single player or wait for Dishonoured.

Thanks for any advice!
#2bcon1208Posted 9/19/2012 5:22:53 AM
I played through the entire Borderlands 1 campaign solo, and then some after before ever hooking up with a single friend in coop.

I think it comes down to two different play throughs. In coop, you're just there to have fun and kill stuff with your friends. The main goal is the loot. Yea the story and humor is there, but with 4 people running around you're not going to be able to focus and read everything, so you'll miss a lot of the little moments. Also, exploring everywhere for all of the little secrets Gearbox likes to hide is next to impossible with coop because you're bound to have at least one party member who just wants to shoot stuff and doesn't stop for anything.

Solo is the opposite. You're there for everything. You can go at your own pace and enjoy the story and humor, as well as not worry about having to share the loot.

Arguably the game is more fun with friends, but it's still awesome solo.
---
GT: lIl Nemesis lIl
"You can run, but you'll just die tired"
#3RennarPosted 9/19/2012 5:24:22 AM
I honestly prefer it single player for the first playthrough; you can go you own place, explore the world on your own time, and, most importantly, you can listen to what the characters have to say without other people's chatter getting in the way (very much worth it in this game; you won't want to miss any dialouge. Not for story reasons, but because this game is friggin' hilarious xD).
But there's also the fact that I never played the first one online or single player, and I myself definitely prefer single player games (or atleast ofline ones). It all depends on your playstyle.
#4RennarPosted 9/19/2012 5:26:33 AM
*never played the first one multiplayer xD
#5bcon1208Posted 9/19/2012 5:27:38 AM
Rennar posted...
I honestly prefer it single player for the first playthrough; you can go you own place, explore the world on your own time, and, most importantly, you can listen to what the characters have to say without other people's chatter getting in the way (very much worth it in this game; you won't want to miss any dialouge. Not for story reasons, but because this game is friggin' hilarious xD).
But there's also the fact that I never played the first one online or single player, and I myself definitely prefer single player games (or atleast ofline ones). It all depends on your playstyle.

I got highly annoyed with the two friends I was playing with last night...I couldn't hear a freakin' thing even after turning them down. Every time audio would start, someone would start talking...definitely can't wait to start my solo playthrough.
---
GT: lIl Nemesis lIl
"You can run, but you'll just die tired"
#6MosebysRangersPosted 9/19/2012 5:28:39 AM
This game to me never really gets boring solo for several reasons.

When soloing it tends to be be pretty challenging for a long time til you get you class built til it runs like an expensive sports car. You see a great deal more easter eggs including side story content and different sights etc because you are not constantly moving with friends. Old expression of time to "stop and smell the roses".

Throw in all the different ways to build each class than the multiple classes lends endless hours of gameplay before it ever gets redundant playing solo IMO.
#7xGenocidestPosted 9/19/2012 5:29:57 AM
Yep. There's a lot of stuff you can miss if you just rush through (Like most randoms do).

Chests/Easter Eggs/Eridium in some crappy locker.
---
Oh I know I lived this life before. Somehow I know now truths I must be sure.
#8TheOssuaryPosted 9/19/2012 5:30:09 AM
The Co-op is extremely fun if you have competent friends. The game is also great solo.
---
---
Country-fried Gyroscope Jockstrap
#9MahuriPosted 9/19/2012 5:42:50 AM
It depends on how u enjoy playing with friends in general, it has its upsides and downsides, shared loot, cant play at your own pace...etc

Personally im a solo guy, i only played multiplayer on the first game for a few hours in total,
on Dead island i played 400 hours solo, had a blast, others said the game was garbage solo

But anyways, thats just me :) if its friends you can talk fun things with while playing it sure is a better experience :)

Enemies do become harder and more with additional players but loot becomes better aswell.
#10taolen3Posted 9/19/2012 11:39:33 AM
bcon1208 posted...
Rennar posted...

I got highly annoyed with the two friends I was playing with last night...I couldn't hear a freakin' thing even after turning them down. Every time audio would start, someone would start talking...definitely can't wait to start my solo playthrough.

for future reference to mute players, push start then go to their names and press X then u have the option to mute the player and, if ur the host ,kick them out the session