Just saw a modder.....

#21Hellbringner1Posted 9/20/2012 12:34:15 PM
I havent sent anyone to jail. My job is to arrest people, the locking up part comes after trial.
And hackers, modders, disrupters, whatever you want to call them? We got files FULL of those. It`s fine if you do it, with the company`s blessing, or if they allow you to. The problems arise if they don`t.
I dunno if you know how the judicial system works, but in order to send someone in a jail cell, you have to have someone who presses charges. Who accuses someone. Usually that`s left to governement, hence "the people VS". There is no clear legislation regulating modding or hacking in videogames. There IS however a clear Copyright violation agreement. Someone cracking open a videogame, movie, whatever, without licensing from the party holding said license to said product is, in effect, violating the copyright.
If said modder or hacker does nothing to PROFIT from it, it isnt illegal per say. If the parent company is a b****, sayd it Lucasarts decided that all of a sudden, the people proceeding with restauration of KOTOR 2 (I didnt know that, really?) are doing it without their permission, they could easily press charges, have the whole lot either sent to jail or sued for cash. That`s the way it works.
IN theory, there is nothing illegal about hacking or modding PER SAY. As long as the company doesnt press charges. HOWEVER, as soon as you have a hacker or modder doing it in exchange for financial compensation, there IS a crime. Your violating a legislation on copyright laws. Because its illegal to distribute material that doesnt belong to you in exchange for money. Even if you moddified it. Which is what MOST modders and hackers do for starters.
If those KOTOR2 restauration dudes decide to sell the product for example, once its finished, and decide to cut off Lucasarts...they`re screwed. They`d have to release it as freeware or else they could get sued, and are definately breaking the law.
The problem with most modders is that A LOT of the ones who mod, offer it to someone else in exchange for cash. That;s illegal. And if you knowingly accept said trade, your guilty too. It`s called accessory to fraud...

The number of GOOD people who get fined or go to jail for stupid reasons piss me off all the time. Hence, I hate hackers and modders. Period. Save a few exceptions (online projects such as your KOTOR restauration).

People modding guns for BDL2 or other shooters almost always ask for money. This year, in Montreal alone, we`ve had 4 major cases of videogame devellopers suing particulars for violating copyright agreements. You can pull it up on the news. It happens. And some people are innocent, they`re just stupid enough to say yes.
---
Old School beats New Age
---Wanna know how to fix lag compensation in MW3? Go back to MW2, don't worry, there's no decline in graphics and the maps are better
#22Hellbringner1Posted 9/20/2012 12:35:38 PM
Besides which...why am I even bothering?

Happy hacking and modding.
Whoever ends up with a fine or a banned for life account, GOOD for you. Don`t say you didn`t know.
---
Old School beats New Age
---Wanna know how to fix lag compensation in MW3? Go back to MW2, don't worry, there's no decline in graphics and the maps are better
#23bigg_pPosted 9/20/2012 12:40:18 PM
Hellbringner1 posted...
I havent sent anyone to jail. My job is to arrest people, the locking up part comes after trial...

How many people have you "arrested" for modding a game?
#24DocWookieChrisPosted 9/20/2012 12:41:57 PM
Hellbringner1 posted...
I havent sent anyone to jail. My job is to arrest people, the locking up part comes after trial.
And hackers, modders, disrupters, whatever you want to call them? We got files FULL of those. It`s fine if you do it, with the company`s blessing, or if they allow you to. The problems arise if they don`t.
I dunno if you know how the judicial system works, but in order to send someone in a jail cell, you have to have someone who presses charges. Who accuses someone. Usually that`s left to governement, hence "the people VS". There is no clear legislation regulating modding or hacking in videogames. There IS however a clear Copyright violation agreement. Someone cracking open a videogame, movie, whatever, without licensing from the party holding said license to said product is, in effect, violating the copyright.
If said modder or hacker does nothing to PROFIT from it, it isnt illegal per say. If the parent company is a b****, sayd it Lucasarts decided that all of a sudden, the people proceeding with restauration of KOTOR 2 (I didnt know that, really?) are doing it without their permission, they could easily press charges, have the whole lot either sent to jail or sued for cash. That`s the way it works.
IN theory, there is nothing illegal about hacking or modding PER SAY. As long as the company doesnt press charges. HOWEVER, as soon as you have a hacker or modder doing it in exchange for financial compensation, there IS a crime. Your violating a legislation on copyright laws. Because its illegal to distribute material that doesnt belong to you in exchange for money. Even if you moddified it. Which is what MOST modders and hackers do for starters.
If those KOTOR2 restauration dudes decide to sell the product for example, once its finished, and decide to cut off Lucasarts...they`re screwed. They`d have to release it as freeware or else they could get sued, and are definately breaking the law.
The problem with most modders is that A LOT of the ones who mod, offer it to someone else in exchange for cash. That;s illegal. And if you knowingly accept said trade, your guilty too. It`s called accessory to fraud...

The number of GOOD people who get fined or go to jail for stupid reasons piss me off all the time. Hence, I hate hackers and modders. Period. Save a few exceptions (online projects such as your KOTOR restauration).

People modding guns for BDL2 or other shooters almost always ask for money. This year, in Montreal alone, we`ve had 4 major cases of videogame devellopers suing particulars for violating copyright agreements. You can pull it up on the news. It happens. And some people are innocent, they`re just stupid enough to say yes.

99% of mods/hacks that are sold for profit are for competitive games, to give an unfair advantage. Their is a clear risk/reward for the hackers since if the caught, their system can be banned, and can face legal repercussions (since money was exchanged, hard to deny you were involved.) But this is a borderlands messageboard. no one is selling anything here. And gearbox has already stated that they are ok with people modding borderlands, they just ask that you respect your fellow gamers and not do anything to mess with their enjoyment.
---
GT DocWookieChris. Add me if you enjoy using Riot Shields in interesting ways!
#25devildogsPosted 9/20/2012 12:46:45 PM
What's more ridiculous is how everyone here is taking TC for his/her word, remember, not everything you read is true, just take it with a grain of salt and move on, you all act like it is the end of the world or that TC's word is gospel!
---
I will not be denied my rightful place in the nightmares of men.
GT - Titus Crow USMC
#26DocWookieChrisPosted 9/20/2012 12:52:34 PM
devildogs posted...
What's more ridiculous is how everyone here is taking TC for his/her word, remember, not everything you read is true, just take it with a grain of salt and move on, you all act like it is the end of the world or that TC's word is gospel!

december is approaching quickly...
---
GT DocWookieChris. Add me if you enjoy using Riot Shields in interesting ways!
#27devildogsPosted 9/20/2012 12:54:27 PM
DocWookieChris posted...
devildogs posted...

december is approaching quickly...

Good point. Ok, please resume.
---
I will not be denied my rightful place in the nightmares of men.
GT - Titus Crow USMC
#28squidgy617Posted 9/20/2012 1:04:37 PM(edited)
Whoa, whoa, whoa.

Modding and hacking are the same thing. Hacking simply has a negative connotation associated with it because in general, hacking is usually used to describe "cheating", or in outside-of-gaming terms... very bad things.

But in all reality, they're the same thing. They're both "modifying" a game. They're just different words. Some people prefer to use one or the other, usually dependent on which side they're on. People against modding use "hacking", people who hack use "modding".

I myself mod/hack video games frequently... but only on single-player. I would never hack a multiplayer game to give myself an advantage, and I don't even know how to hack an Xbox or PS3 game. I only mess with the PC ones.

If someone hacks to give themselves amazing stats or something in a multiplayer game and goes around racking up kills with it, they're a cheater, and its uncool.

If someone makes a mod for a single-player game that adds a new level for it... thats pretty cool.

In terms of legality, hacking/modding a game is only illegal (in PC terms, again, thats all I do) if you actually directly modify the .exe or .dll files that are the game's core structure. Some companies have their own policies on hacking, and you could get in trouble either way dependent on the game (though I doubt you'd get in trouble for hacking a single-player game on PC). Specifically, Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo will not allow you to mess with their systems at all. If you hack a console game, they generally aren't happy.

In short terms, you hack to cheat, you'll probably get in trouble, perhaps legally, maybe a ban. If you hack just for fun and it doesn't affect anyone else, you'll probably be fine (unless its on console, they still don't like it).

EDIT: Oh yeah, and selling for profit is bad too.
#29lnknprk_45Posted 9/20/2012 1:02:14 PM
This is a Xbox 360 board. Modding is hacking. We aren't on the PC board where you can separate the 2.
#30squidgy617Posted 9/20/2012 1:06:29 PM
I just said modding and hacking are the same thing. Hacking just has a negative connotation.

But you're right, I shouldn't be referring to PC modding on a 360 board. Pretty much, if you see a modder on 360 BL2, they're doing bad.

Then again, I have nothing against people modding consoles, as long as they're not ruining multiplayer or anything. But if you see them, they no doubt are. It should never affect others.