What triggers Varkid Evolution?

#1caramel_codPosted 9/24/2012 10:20:03 AM
I've found that leaving the "Mighty Morphin" quest on makes them evolve at a faster pace up to Badass level, but they still very rarely hit super badass.

I feel like varkid evolution potential, just like everything else in the game, is determined the moment they spawn. A varkid that spawns with the potential to reach super badass and higher levels will do so fairly quickly.

The reason I say this is that the two varkids I've seen evolve beyond badass did so within a minute or two of their previous morph. I've never seen an adult or badass varkid suddenly evolve after a longer period, which leads me to believe that, upon evolving, most varkids are locked into that current form, with only a select few retaining the ability to grow further.
#2Zero1303Posted 9/24/2012 10:21:50 AM
I just wanted to complete the mission; remember that to make the badass mutant varkids appear you need to charge up to a varkid pod as soon as it starts to go from larva to adult and inject it with X button
---
"My game is like the Pythagorean Theorem; there is no answer." -Shaq
#3caramel_cod(Topic Creator)Posted 9/24/2012 10:23:40 AM
Zero1303 posted...
I just wanted to complete the mission; remember that to make the badass mutant varkids appear you need to charge up to a varkid pod as soon as it starts to go from larva to adult and inject it with X button

This is about making Varkids evolve to higher levels, not the quest. Like I said though, leaving that quest active seems to make them more likely to evolve.
#4themagicpainmanPosted 9/24/2012 10:25:44 AM
It seems that way.

It really bothers me. I WANT to fight more high level Varkid, but I guess the game thinks it'll be too hard and never lets any of them go to Ultimate or Supreme.
---
http://i.imgur.com/1hsMf.jpg
Not changing this sig until Happy Trees Maokai is released. SPREAD THE WORD PEOPLE.
#5Zero1303Posted 9/24/2012 10:26:04 AM
You've got me there. I remember when the quest started it was about lighting the smaller ones on fire. Not sure if that worked for me or not but while trying to make the pods mutate they seemed to appear more frequently when taking fire pot shots at larva's. As far as I know, there are only three levels? Larval, adult and mutant/badass?
---
"My game is like the Pythagorean Theorem; there is no answer." -Shaq
#6themagicpainmanPosted 9/24/2012 10:27:41 AM
Zero1303 posted...
You've got me there. I remember when the quest started it was about lighting the smaller ones on fire. Not sure if that worked for me or not but while trying to make the pods mutate they seemed to appear more frequently when taking fire pot shots at larva's. As far as I know, there are only three levels? Larval, adult and mutant/badass?

6. Larva, Adult, Badass, Super Badass, Ultimate Badass, Supreme Badass.

There's also the occasional Chubby Varkid, and supposedly one of those optional random bosses that goes one beyond Supreme.
---
http://i.imgur.com/1hsMf.jpg
Not changing this sig until Happy Trees Maokai is released. SPREAD THE WORD PEOPLE.
#7CervosiPosted 9/24/2012 10:32:51 AM
Varkids and Goliaths can both evolve.

Varkids typically evolve only to Badass, doing so by cocooning themselves when low on health, from Larval to Adult, to Badass.

But, yeah, they can go into Super, Ultimate, and Supreme Badass.

Goliaths evolve after you shoot their helmets off. They enter a Raging state and attack anything including allies. Killing an ally turns them into a Badass Goliath. Killing two more, a Super Badass. 3, then 4 more to go Ultimate and "Godliath"

It's particularly worth it to do this if you happen to run into a Loot Goliath since of course the drops get better.
---
Bluh bluh.
#8caramel_cod(Topic Creator)Posted 9/24/2012 10:52:17 AM
I just fought another Super Badass at the Varkid Ranch in the Tundra Express, but this one didn't evolve further, even though every previous SBA did. It looks like getting one to reach the Vermivorous stage is really luck-based.
#9PhadinPosted 9/24/2012 11:00:01 AM
I've managed to get the goliaths to evolve quite easily. Even managed ot get a godlike one that dropped some awsome loot. Varkids I never saw past badass though. I think part of the problem is that the Goliaths have easy to understand requirements for evolution. The varkids just seem random. The goliaths also go after other enemies during their evolutionary phases, which reduces the stress of having to stay alive around them while waiting for them to evolve further.

I did notice when I was fighting varkids that when I only had one left, it didn't evolve, even from it's larval form. It ketp coming back and ofrth and attacking me, but never evolved at all. Perhaps if it's alone it wont evolve. Of course, trying to stay alive while being attacked by badass varkids and not killing off most of them so they'll keep evolving...well... goodluck.
#10YiddosRulePosted 9/24/2012 11:03:46 AM
Phadin posted...
Perhaps if it's alone it wont evolve.

This is fact as you are told this during the varkid quest.
---
XBLGT : FunkNflex