Do you use Aim assist or not?

#11Carte360Posted 9/26/2012 4:24:57 AM
Woah, me and Vivi are hipster!

Yeah, were' too cool to aim.
---
Why would Microsoft worry about exclusives when it has the awe-inspiring Kinect to sell consoles. - MrRGerk
#12Radiant_Sol12Posted 9/26/2012 4:26:00 AM
Yes, because the accuracy of an analogue stick is atrocious. If I had a mouse and keyboard, I wouldn't have any problems with the aiming so I would turn off the aim assist. However, console controls are terrible for shooters, so aim assist is almost needed. That's why CS:GO on consoles has a huge learning curve, there's no aim assist.
---
"If the Illusive Man was voice by Charlie instead of Martin he'd be snorting coke off Miranda's ass." -Revan73
GT: Radiant Sol
#13GwizAlchPosted 9/26/2012 4:59:12 AM
Aim Assist is practically mandatory to play effectively. Turning it off does absolutely nothing due the A-A not being behind the messy scope-in handling.
It's due to deviation/magnetism that's built into the game. Turning A-A off doesn't disable magnetism so you will always have issues while zooming in.
(Though it does work wonders for Shotguns/CQC)

I do agree with the previous poster about the controls. The gripes with aiming on this game vanish into thin air with a mouse.
---
While we live in a world of infinite possibilities, we must also realize that we live in a world of infinite dangers.
#14ManInBlack_77Posted 9/26/2012 5:14:25 AM
I turned it off pretty quickly after I started. I found it was constantly yanking my aim to low priority targets while the nasty ones got in free shots.

I blame Halo for convincing everyone that you HAVE to have auto locking aim in console shooters. There were plenty of other shooters out before that that didn't and they were perfectly fine. Is it EASIER to aim with a mouse? Of course it is, but people who claim that dual analog aim is terrible or unusable without assist are either lousy players it just whiners who want a 200 mph Ferrari and are upset they only got a 180 mph Corvette.
---
Time magazine's Man of the Year in 2006! Really. Google it if you don't believe me.
#15Python_2k9Posted 9/26/2012 5:18:33 AM
Turned it off a little bit after starting to play it. I kept phaselocking the the wrong person and it was getting annoying.
---
Patrolling through the GameFaqs boards almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
#16Big_Ed_MustaphaPosted 9/26/2012 5:19:38 AM
I always turn it off in every game, its just annoying, I'm a better shot than the computer!
---
King of the evil/normal monkeys who are now mostly normal but flesh eating while frowned upon is not entirely rare
#17GwizAlchPosted 9/26/2012 5:35:15 AM(edited)
ManInBlack_77 posted...
I turned it off pretty quickly after I started. I found it was constantly yanking my aim to low priority targets while the nasty ones got in free shots.

I blame Halo for convincing everyone that you HAVE to have auto locking aim in console shooters. There were plenty of other shooters out before that that didn't and they were perfectly fine. Is it EASIER to aim with a mouse? Of course it is, but people who claim that dual analog aim is terrible or unusable without assist are either lousy players it just whiners who want a 200 mph Ferrari and are upset they only got a 180 mph Corvette.

My post was specifically directed to BL2's accuracy issues. I only introduced the 'mouse' into my statement to further clarify how the lack of Magnetism and Deviation (Which are usually absent in FPS and many other genres where a mouse is present yet A-A can still be found.) and why I felt they played the major role in the issues that users are experiencing.

All games are playable without A-A, but in some games (Borderlands) it enhances gameplay and in other games (CSS) it diminishes it. Dual Analog for shooters will always be a questionable tactic due to the limited amount of products that allow casual users to fine-tune(Options such as Tension Controller and Button Sensitivity) it to something comfortable for them. As far as I am aware of: the only things that allow X360 players to do so are Crossfires-MadCatz-Onza controllers.

I too played BL1/2 without Aim-Assist, but later had to enable it due to magnetism distorting the sniper beyond belief. With A-A disable my crosshair would move quickly across the screen and suddenly drop to snail dragging(or what felt to be 1 sensitivity) anytime I tapped to scope in. I found that this great of a fluctuation in speed was more of a hassle than a benefit and as such, I decided to simply adapt to A-A.

"I Blerm Hayloh"
That made my day. I appreciate your attempt at humor and I thank you whole heartily for this large smile you've given me so early this morning.
---
While we live in a world of infinite possibilities, we must also realize that we live in a world of infinite dangers.
#18JigglybuffPosted 9/26/2012 5:33:49 AM
Vivi0198 posted...
Meh I use and abuse it. Hit left trigger auto lock on and smoke the target.

From you, im not surprised.
---
IRON. CLAD. CONTRACT.
#19WebstedgePosted 9/26/2012 5:44:56 AM
yes because aim assist is made for consoles.
---
N.Y. State of Mind
Boston sucks.
#20RaukuePosted 9/26/2012 6:10:45 PM
Radiant_Sol12 posted...
Yes, because the accuracy of an analogue stick is atrocious. If I had a mouse and keyboard, I wouldn't have any problems with the aiming so I would turn off the aim assist. However, console controls are terrible for shooters, so aim assist is almost needed. That's why CS:GO on consoles has a huge learning curve, there's no aim assist.

I wish I had gotten Borderlands 2 on PC now. Because even I know, aiming is less of an issue on PC for sure. But my PC barely meets the minimum, which would probably run badly that way, and I already had it preordered for PS3 since June.

Thing is, consoles hardly ever seem to get aiming right. But if you want to play a console game that seems to getting aiming perfectly, play Saints Row 3. I suppose Saints Row 2 had it right as well. But man, that is the smoothest, best aiming I ever seen in a console game. Able to headshot so easily. I know there must be some aim assist but it isn't really noticable and doesn't make you miss headshots.

Even on PS3, which is what I have Borderlands 2 and Saints Row 3 on. Some say it's the controller to why aiming on PS3 might not be as good as 360. That may be part of it, but after playing Saints Row 3 and 2 on PS3, I can say a big part of it is the developers lack of care for it. They seem to settle for "good enough" and never think about it again.
---
I enjoy open world/sandbox games.