Does anyone else dislike the fact that legendaries now have definite locations?

#1TheUndeadCrowPosted 9/24/2012 9:00:15 PM
I preferred it in the first one where you never knew what you were going to get. It made each legendary feel that much more unique and special. I really hope there are more undiscovered legendaries that don't have any definite locations.

Does anyone know if legendaries that have definite locations are completely limited to appearing from that specific boss? Or can they appear elsewhere as well? If they are limited to one specific boss that's stupid because then if I want a specific weapon I'll be forced to fight that boss over and over whereas in the last I could get that weapon from anywhere.
#2yoyomaster0Posted 9/24/2012 9:02:28 PM
TheUndeadCrow posted...
I preferred it in the first one where you never knew what you were going to get. It made each legendary feel that much more unique and special. I really hope there are more undiscovered legendaries that don't have any definite locations.

Does anyone know if legendaries that have definite locations are completely limited to appearing from that specific boss? Or can they appear elsewhere as well? If they are limited to one specific boss that's stupid because then if I want a specific weapon I'll be forced to fight that boss over and over whereas in the last I could get that weapon from anywhere.

I got a orange class mod from a chest in the fridge. Pretty sure that was random...
#3DeadLock25Posted 9/24/2012 9:17:45 PM(edited)
They do not have definite locations. They have locations that have a higher chance of producing certain weapons than anywhere else in the game.

All orange weapons can come from chests/loot pickups. Certain enemies have a higher chance to drop a certain item compared to other enemies. Increased chances =/= Definite (or only) drop zone. Some weapons are not limited to have an increased drop chance for just one enemy. For example, both Loot Midgets and Chubby enemies can drop the Legendary shield Whiskey Tango Foxtrot. Chubby enemies also have a chance of dropping other items (some legendary gun, I cannot remember)

Regular loot chests have an orange drop chance of 1 out of thousands. However, Uniquely Named enemies/mini-bosses or bosses have something like a 1/20 chance of dropping a specific gun(s)/mod(s)/shield(s) or any combination of the three.

This adds to the whole RPG feel of the game since before you would just go farm the enemy that was the most difficult and gave you the most drops. (Crawmerax) Now you have some incentive to repeat the mini-boss fights and revisit locations you probably would have never gone back to. It adds to the entertainment value of the game.

---
GT: Deadlock25
#4TheUndeadCrow(Topic Creator)Posted 9/24/2012 9:11:24 PM
Yeah, I knew mods were random from my own experience as I got a legendary gunzerker mod in a chest in Caustic Caverns but I'm hoping mods are not the only case.
#5MetaIGearRexPosted 9/24/2012 9:11:30 PM
Yeah I hate it. A lot.
#6TheUndeadCrow(Topic Creator)Posted 9/24/2012 9:16:37 PM
They do not have definite locations. They have locations that have a higher chance of producing certain weapons than anywhere else in the game.

Regular loot chests have an orange drop chance of 1 out of thousands. However, Uniquely Named enemies/mini-bosses or bosses have something like a 1/20 chance of dropping a specific gun.

This adds to the whole RPG feel of the game since before you would just go farm the enemy that was the most difficult and gave you the most drops. (Crawmerax) Now you have some incentive to repeat the mini-boss fights and revisit locations you probably would have never gone back to. It adds to the entertainment value of the game.

1/20 chance is a definite location in my mind. I'd prefer it to be completely random. That way I have no idea what to expect from any creature at any time.
#7NeoCrimsonCloudPosted 9/24/2012 9:18:41 PM
I got 2 legendary weapons from random enemy drops. They weren't even bosses. Badasses maybe, but certainly not named bosses.
---
Pokemon White FC 189351748563
#8DeadLock25Posted 9/24/2012 9:20:00 PM
TheUndeadCrow posted...

Regular loot chests have an orange drop chance of 1 out of thousands. However, Uniquely Named enemies/mini-bosses or bosses have something like a 1/20 chance of dropping a specific gun.

1/20 chance is a definite location in my mind. I'd prefer it to be completely random. That way I have no idea what to expect from any creature at any time.

No its not. I can get a WTF shield from the last boss or from the first boss, or I can increase my chances by trying to find Chubby enemies or Loot midgets and farming them. Its not a guarantee, but simply a higher mathematical certainty.
---
#9DeadLock25Posted 9/24/2012 9:36:50 PM
This may not be the best analogy but think of it like this.

If you were given a task to push a button to win a certain prize. Each push would bring forth a random prize out of a total of 1,000,000 different prizes. Your goal is to get a certain prize and nothing else.

Well mathematically speaking, it is very probable that you would sit there for quite a while pushing that button, getting random prizes, sometimes even copies of the same prize. It would take you quite a while to get that one specific prize, statistically speaking.

However if you are given a few buttons, which instead dispensing a random prize now, 99% of the time, dispense a prize from one of a few categories into which the 1 million prizes are grouped, your chances increase. For example if the prize you wanted fell into the "stuffed toy" category, you would push the button associated with that category and not the one that is associated with the "model cars" category. Given a variety of buttons, you would choose to press the one category that your target prize best fit into and ignore the rest. Your chances of course are much higher since you can ignore others and focus on a specific one. Of course you can always press a different category button and hope that 1% of the time you get a prize that is outside of that category and that it is in fact the prize you want, but thats just stupid.

This is similar to the way the new Borderlands loot mechanics work. Its better, it encourages and promotes a more traditional RPG play style. It does not MANDATE that style of play, because as I said you can easily go kill any other thing you want and hope that it drops the item you want, but the chances are much lower.

I guess you can argue that by lowering the chances of orange drops in certain enemies and increasing them with others they are "forcing" your hand to play the way they want you to play, but thats not a very nice or even nesessary argument. They are "guiding" (not forcing) you to explore the vastness of the game past the ending component and fight the bosses that you would never even go back to because in BL1 "their drops were inferior to Crawmerax." I think its much better to have variety rather than dull repetitive monotonous Crawmerax battles that resulted in BL1. How many people went back to fight sledge or the final boss in BL1? Those guys had a DEFINITE chance to drop certain items. Its a better system, you should be happy.
---
#10JaphascaPosted 9/24/2012 9:40:28 PM
TheUndeadCrow posted...

Clearly you have no concept of random numbers. 1 in 20 (5%) is by no means definite. And if the enemy is a unique (and not a boss) he will not have a weapon tied to him and if an orange drops it will be COMPLETELY random what it is.

If you want to farm fridges and boxes all day (because there are a LOT more of them than named enemies) be my guest, but I'd rather the higher % on enemies because then I can farm by SHOOTING stuff, which is kind of the whole point of the game.
---
Funny how GameFaqs tags the word "faqs" as mispelled.