Duping, Modding, Exploiting: An Essay on Morality and Ettiquette

#31starocean4everPosted 9/27/2012 8:35:48 AM
It's funny.. Everyone calls it cheating, modding or just circumventing the rules, yet once they put in their own mod tool; it's no longer cheating? People have warped ideas of that concept; why not just let people play however they want. The way I see it, if you paid the money to buy the game, go ahead and play it however you're little heart desires. I'm pretty sure if you spent money on a car, and wanted to make a mess of it, you wouldn't let someone else tell you how what you're doing is wrong; so why try to force you're ideals down everyone else's throat? This is etiquette, treat others how you would like to be treated and stop whining about people duping or modding.
If it doesn't affect you in a direct way, leave it be; if it does just kick the guy out of you're game.
---
Xbox Live GT: Neon Genesis546
#32Unpure_Euphoria(Topic Creator)Posted 9/27/2012 8:44:22 AM
I have a feeling not many people actually read the OP.

Oh well, not sure what I was expecting.
---
GT: iAmTheTot - No, really, I am.
http://lawlgaming.chatango.com/ - Live uncensored chat for gamers - any game, any gamer! Love games? So do we.
#33fredbeatswilmaPosted 9/27/2012 8:54:16 AM
Unpure_Euphoria posted...
I have a feeling not many people actually read the OP.

Oh well, not sure what I was expecting.

I did. You just wanted people to talk more openly about things in random games and on here. Let people be aware of how you like to play whether it's mods, legit, or middle ground.

The only problems I think you have are:

1. Majority of random community doesn't get on gamefaqs
2. People already do this on gamefaqs
3. No one gives a s***
---
uh huh, herbal derbally berbil urbil
#34The_HeapPosted 9/27/2012 8:56:02 AM
I'm not reading the TC's post because I already tagged him as a moron, but I am impressed that he managed to type that all out.
---
ioioioioioio man
The Heap is short for heap of BS ~Slyfox729
#35Unpure_Euphoria(Topic Creator)Posted 9/27/2012 8:57:39 AM(edited)
Actually it was more meant to promote critical thinking, challenge people to think differently, and be more tolerant of those with opposing views. This topic was just very prominent and relevant to this game.

I'm not reading the TC's post because I already tagged him as a moron, but I am impressed that he managed to type that all out.

I'm insanely curious as to what got me tagged.
---
http://lawlgaming.chatango.com/ - Live uncensored chat for gamers - any game, any gamer! Love games? So do we.
#36OrgeLambartPosted 9/27/2012 8:58:51 AM
Don't know how many times i'll have to say it.

A) Gearbox doesn't care about modding, in fact they encouraged it with the first game, until people got out of control and started doing harmful things.

B) Gearbox doesn't care about duppers, if they did than they would have put a save element in the game everytime you dropped an item or traded an item.

C) Duping is nothing like modding, Duping you take an item and make a total copy of that item. Duping is neccesary for somethings, you really think it's fair only one copy of certain things drop, like a certain mask which drops only twice during your playthroughs and has a total risk of you never seeing it thanks to ninja looters.

D) I'll dupe, I enjoy getting the weapons I enjoy playing with, I don't want to spend 80 hours farming one piece of gear, I did that in Everquest, it's why I don't play EQ anymore. It's not fun killing the same Boss over and over again. Also with the current system in place nothing you do will matter, this time in 6 months everyone will have duplicated gear. Even the so called legit players will have duplicated gear.

E) Duping probably took place within 20 minutes of the game being put online, it was very present in the first game and it will be so in the second game. Gearbox wants their fans to have fun and play the game. Also by your logic farming a boss is a broken aspect as well, considering you have to go to the main menu than back into the game to actually kill the boss.
#37Urdnot_RuntPosted 9/27/2012 9:04:31 AM
Who cares, it's a video game. It's not an issue of morality because nothing is at stake.
#38PanopictonguyPosted 9/27/2012 9:04:54 AM
Warchild posted...
But that item was meant to take that long to achieve. Futhermore, the entire random generation of the weapons is meant to promote unique experiences.

But it doesn't. There is nothing unique about fighing the same Boss over and over and over again. I'm not saying you should bypass grinding altogether, but when 3 hours of play nets you...nothing, your argument really doesn't pan out.

You don't have to grind tough. It's greed. There are 4 characters each with 3 skill trees that you can only partially full out two or fully fill I've. There are 2.5

Players.

Why not play through the game 12 times different each time.
---
Castlevania Lords Of Lycans And Trolls
#39Unpure_Euphoria(Topic Creator)Posted 9/27/2012 9:05:26 AM
Who cares, it's a video game. It's not an issue of morality because nothing is at stake.

I don't even know how to respond to the ignorance of that statement.
---
#40WarchildPosted 9/27/2012 9:11:43 AM
Unpure_Euphoria posted...

I don't even know how to respond to the ignorance of that statement.

Why do you have to, he's right. Just because a person does something to bypass the rules of a video game does not mean they are going to cheat on their taxes. Doing right for right's sake, doesn't make you morally superior.

It's a game, and games are played to have fun, correct? If someone's idea of fun, doesn't infringe on your fun, then there is nothing morally wrong with what they are doing.
---
I think God is really a 12 year old and we're just his science fair project.