Is there any other game where cheating is as common as in BL2?

#131Erupt50(Topic Creator)Posted 10/4/2012 10:13:29 PM
Ragnarok0220 posted...
Ummm, cheating is what you make it- in the pokemon red/blue games you had missingno, if you used it all the time, you found yourself overpowered and bored, if you used it sparingly you saved yourself some grinding for the next gym leader/boss. I farm for my oranges, but thats because i have the time to- my two friends that i play with dont have that kind of time though, so i dupe the best pieces of my arsenal to them, otherwise its no fun to play when all you can do is just hide behind the guy with the best gear.

Games are intended to be fun, and thats the only thing i can say for the developers when you talk about how a game is "intended" to be played. Is it possible that the developers knew about these glitches/exploits and were like- "hey lets leave that in, people will feel clever when they figure it out, not to mention it takes FOREVER to get all this stuff"

No, the devs didn't intend for their game to played that way. That's why it's cheating.
---
PSN- Erupt50 XBL- Erupt50
#132BhelliumPosted 10/4/2012 10:15:36 PM
So if devs include actual "cheats" it's ok?
What about if they've literally said they support modding, duping, whatever makes you enjoy the game more?
---
P&L: Deal w/it
Cookie if you get the reference
#133Erupt50(Topic Creator)Posted 10/4/2012 11:01:25 PM
Bhellium posted...
So if devs include actual "cheats" it's ok?
What about if they've literally said they support modding, duping, whatever makes you enjoy the game more?

Did they? Must have missed that quote. My apologies then.
---
#134megagooseqqqPosted 10/4/2012 11:08:37 PM
Cheating in borderlands is akin to reading the cliff notes for a book that your checked out from the library for pleasure reading. Nothing more.

I like this analogy.
---
Mr. QQQ
#135ProzacStylingsPosted 10/4/2012 11:11:22 PM
Bhellium posted...
lol cheating at Borderlands

that's like calling modding a Bethesda game unethical

Bethesda games are single player.

Borderlands is multiplayer.

Bringing overpowered mods into someone else's skyrim game without their knowledge and/or consent would be unethical, yes.
---
Quoth the server, "404"
#136BhelliumPosted 10/4/2012 11:12:49 PM
Well of course. It's just being polite to only do that stuff with people who know and are aware, but good distinction.
---
P&L: Deal w/it
Cookie if you get the reference
#137Erupt50(Topic Creator)Posted 10/5/2012 11:28:49 AM
BumP
---
#138Ragnarok0220Posted 10/5/2012 2:48:58 PM
My point was, HOW do you know what the intent of the dev's is/was? Unless you're a BL2 dev yourself TC, you cant speak for their intents anymore than i can speak for yours; in that logic i can say that you created this topic with the intent to troll, as opposed to asking a question or sparking a philosophical debate.

Im not saying that was your intent, im not you, so i cant speak for your intentions, just as you cant speak for the intentions of someone who you have never met.

I hope someone is seeing what im saying here, its SOOOOO easy to dupe items, and it was a big thing in the first one too, do you think that if the dev's really wanted to keep duping out they couldn't have done it? Or at least made it harder? The loot in this game is the only thing that isnt shared, otherwise this game is THE most co-op friendly game in current memory. Why couldnt it be the intent that for those who wanted to share their loot to be able to do so, but without making it a mandatory thing?
---
GT- Ragnarok0220
#139SinisterSynPosted 10/5/2012 4:07:37 PM(edited)
ProzacStylings posted...

"I usually don't know it's taking place" is an ignorant comment, in this case.

I know duping has never affected my game. I don't play in online public games. I play with a small selection of real life friends, all of whom also don't play in the exploit-ridden online community for this game.

That's a choice I've made, which I wish I wasn't forced to make, to maintain the gameplay lifespan that rare loot drops create.

Yes, some people would like to farm bosses for their loot. Yes, that was the designer's obvious intention, when they decided X boss drops X weapon X percent of the time. When you can say "Yo, anyone have ___? I need one, for free plz", then ____ is officially worthless.

These desires, and laments of the results of cheating, are a common opinion, as expressed multiple times by multiple people in this thread alone.

Many find that just simply farming chests over and over again shouldn't be how the is played and players should just go through it and hope to find it during normal traveling.

is not. Lol.

Ignorant comment? You not knowing that duping has taken place is ignorance, by definition. Since, ya know, you didn't know about it and all....so thank you for giving us the example? Not sure what the point was, but there I go demonstrating ignorance again. Oops.

You admit that it's NEVER affected your game because you chose to cocoon yourself in a group of friends all of the time. So how do you know it will cheapen any public games that you play if you've never attempted to do so, if not from personal experience? If you don't know it's taken place, what's the stop you from enjoying just playing the game with your "blissful state of ignorance"? Unless 100% of the people who played the game besides you and your friends duped weapons, then who's to say you wouldn't get grouped up with "legit" players? And if they're legit, then you shouldn't have any issue, right?

So nobody is essentially forcing you to play with your RL friends but you and yet you're whining about it as if you truly are being forced by some outside intervention that doesn't exist. There are a great deal of people who partake in the 'cheating' for this game, but it's not everyone, so your logic/argument doesn't make sense at all. If you are enjoying the game with your group, then fine. But don't blame the fact that cheating exists for the reason why you are SO unfairly made to use caution when playing the game with other people. Because some form of cheating will always exist in the world, not just with games.

But if you truly stay within your "100% honesty" bubble and have NEVER done anything in this or any game what wasn't intended by the devs, then great for you, really. Like use a glitched safe spot to take out a powerful foe/recover in peace, glitched the armory for unlimited time, utilized Moxxi's round skips/low level host tricks, hopped over random objects to get to a certain place that wasn't on the main path or an obvious or intended setup to reach a location/object, etc.

---
GT: ChronoAssassin
#140KLOUDrocksPosted 10/6/2012 3:41:07 AM(edited)
SinisterSyn posted...
But if you truly stay within your "100% honesty" bubble and have NEVER done anything in this or any game what wasn't intended by the devs, then great for you, really. Like use a glitched safe spot to take out a powerful foe/recover in peace, glitched the armory for unlimited time, utilized Moxxi's round skips/low level host tricks, hopped over random objects to get to a certain place that wasn't on the main path or an obvious or intended setup to reach a location/object, etc.

You almost make it seem as if you think it nigh impossible for someone to have not done at least one of those things. I haven't done any of them. Just sayin'...