Anyone notice how many Dragon Ball Z voice actors are in Borderlands 2?

#31RedBullWings(Topic Creator)Posted 10/5/2012 12:08:32 AM
Hollow_Point_MK posted...
RedBullWings posted...
I watched Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z on Toonami when I was a kid. I didn't have the chance early on to watch it in Japanese, but at a later point, after hearing it, the Japanese audio isn't my taste.

i don't like the voice actors at all. Frankly, they sound like women. The music doesn't set the tone as well as Bruce Faulconer's. It all boils down to preference anyway.

I'm a casual anime fan anyway. I've only ever really watched 3-4 anime shows throughout my lifetime.

im pretty sure your distaste for the Japanese version simply stems from the fact that you heard it in English first. its like when i try to watch an asian flick with Qi Shu in it thats been translated. they give her an English VA despite the fact that she speaks English. and having heard her english voice acting it just feels jarring to hear a different voice.

Gokus voice is extremely different in each version as well as many other characters. so its understandable that you would find different voices strange and unappealing.

I agree with you. I definitely have bias because I heard it in English first.

Still, if I were to choose to watch a new anime, I would go looking for the dub. I agree that it can potentially be sloppy, but that doesn't mean that it always is.

The only real advantage I see in the Japanese versions of any anime is that they are always uncut.
#32inloveanddeath0Posted 10/5/2012 12:10:50 AM
I knew I heard 's voice
---
http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/7152/inloveanddeath.png http://tinyurl.com/8pmbdjn
http://i.imgur.com/XENoL.gif http://www.last.fm/user/PolarPolaroids
#33zUkUuPosted 10/5/2012 12:23:16 AM
RedBullWings posted...
RedBullWings posted...
I watched Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z on Toonami when I was a kid. I didn't have the chance early on to watch it in Japanese, but at a later point, after hearing it, the Japanese audio isn't my taste.

i don't like the voice actors at all. Frankly, they sound like women. The music doesn't set the tone as well as Bruce Faulconer's. It all boils down to preference anyway.

I'm a casual anime fan anyway. I've only ever really watched 3-4 anime shows throughout my lifetime.

im pretty sure your distaste for the Japanese version simply stems from the fact that you heard it in English first. its like when i try to watch an asian flick with Qi Shu in it thats been translated. they give her an English VA despite the fact that she speaks English. and having heard her english voice acting it just feels jarring to hear a different voice.

Gokus voice is extremely different in each version as well as many other characters. so its understandable that you would find different voices strange and unappealing.

I agree with you. I definitely have bias because I heard it in English first.

Still, if I were to choose to watch a new anime, I would go looking for the dub. I agree that it can potentially be sloppy, but that doesn't mean that it always is.

The only real advantage I see in the Japanese versions of any anime is that they are always uncut.

you're American I assume? for whatever reason they rather produce an entire film from scratch again, then reading subtitles. might be in your nature.

but let me assure you - dubs are 98% worse then the original - and that doesn't matter if it's japanese or english. I watch US movies in english (my second language). and japanese movies in japanese with subtitles. about 1.9% (if at all) dubs are up to par, and 0.1% might be better as dub
#34ShineboltPosted 10/5/2012 12:41:09 AM
Why is it that every time voice acting is mentioned on this site the topic always turns into a language debate despite whatever game the topic is supposed to be about? It's kinda getting annoying.

anyways I'm kinda surprised that GB hired all those actors and didn't think to add a DBZ reference in the game somewhere.
---
Take this post seriously at your own risk.
#35McFazzerPosted 10/5/2012 6:40:52 AM
Lord of Nightmares posted...
Oh great, another 'sub is superior to dub' elitist.

because it is? i dont say it out of malice or inexperience. hell just last month my computer broke down and i was without an anime fix for almost 2 weeks. i tried using Xbox lives Crackle app because it had anime but i simply could not stand the English VAs. in fact the only anime i watched was Blue Exorcist because it was like 1 of 3 that wernt in English.

i'll admit that Gokus original voice was annoying as hell. and im sure the VAs for the english version were all competent. but you cant get around the fact that translating a show or movie will always produce results less favorable then the original.

Why? localization budgets, cultural differences and lip syncing. you just cant get around this stuff.

Have you seen Baccano? It's an instance where the dub surpasses the sub. Not just opinion, but it is the consensus with most of the fans
---
Doors are for people with no imagination.
#36Synthetic_CKPosted 10/5/2012 7:00:39 AM
Cool to see so many of the VAs in the game.

The sub vs dub debate is a generational thing to me. I prefer subs because when I was watching DBZ there were no dubs (or even fansubs at the time) so I grew an affinity for subs. Younger people probably started off with Toonami, so it's natural that they wouldn't prefer the japanese versions. The only other difference between the two would be preference.
---
LOL@console fanboys. Just because it's the only console YOU own doesn't mean the others suck. Great games on all systems. Get over yourself, shut up and play.
#37meltor13Posted 10/5/2012 7:03:05 AM
Whoa. This is cool.
---
MarioKart 64 Main: Bowser
GT: MELTOR13
#38bbraxPosted 10/5/2012 7:05:00 AM
Voice actors aren't plentiful. I recognized a handful of voices right off the bat. When you watch as much dubbed anime as me you notice that some people show up so much over and over again. I.E. Luci Christian, she has done so many animes I've lost track over the years.
---
GT: Braxerman
#39RedBullWings(Topic Creator)Posted 10/5/2012 7:05:21 AM
Synthetic_CK posted...
Cool to see so many of the VAs in the game.

The sub vs dub debate is a generational thing to me. I prefer subs because when I was watching DBZ there were no dubs (or even fansubs at the time) so I grew an affinity for subs. Younger people probably started off with Toonami, so it's natural that they wouldn't prefer the japanese versions. The only other difference between the two would be preference.

Agreed. I have no issues with the Japanese version, I just prefer the English dub.

Yeah, I think its awesome that they got so many VAs from the same series together. It's more than half the cast as well. 37 out of 63 credited VAs have some time to Dragon Ball.
#40Synthetic_CKPosted 10/5/2012 7:06:39 AM
McFazzer posted...
Have you seen Baccano? It's an instance where the dub surpasses the sub. Not just opinion, but it is the consensus with most of the fans

El Hazard is another that I actually like the American VAs compared. The Japanese VAs are good, but I laughed more at the American voices.
---
LOL@console fanboys. Just because it's the only console YOU own doesn't mean the others suck. Great games on all systems. Get over yourself, shut up and play.