The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

Let's have a calm discussion on duping.

#1xXxHaVeNPosted 10/8/2012 8:15:00 AM
If you're here to insult people for what they think just get out now. I'd like to actually have a discussion on what people think and WHY they think it as well. I'm genuinely curious as to what most people think when it concerns duping.

Personally, I am against it. The point of the game is to acquire the best kinds of loot, and they (Gearbox) have made it quite a bit harder to acquire the loot in this game when compared with the first. This, in my opinion, is showing that they did not want everybody to have the very best of all kinds of loot. The game is designed so that 99% of the players will not get all rare items within the game. I honestly believe that duping is hurting the community more than it is helping it.

1. The longevity of the game is being negatively impacted by the large amount of people giving out duped weapons. Whenever these weapons were very difficult to acquire, they were in very high demand. And they would have remained that way if not for duping. Legendary weapons should be in high demand. One of the better reasons that I believe they should be hard to come by is...

2. Community! In a game like Borderlands there is potential for a amazing community. A community that works together, is constantly making trades, etc. And the community that we have here on Gamefaqs is fantastic. (Especially when you go and look at other game boards. Seriously, we're one of the better ones guys...) It is simply a fact that duping will die down because eventually everybody will have all of the orange weapons. However, it seems to me that if we were not duping, the community would be able to stay strong for a much longer period of time. Again, the longevity of this game is being diminished due to duping.

3. People commonly state that there are many people who simply due not have the time to farm bosses for weapons. While it is a good argument, I still think that duping will hurt more than it will help in the long run. Here on Gamefaqs there are many people. If trading weapons were as strong as I believe that it would be, there would most certainly be ways to acquire an orange weapon through trades. There are skins, heads, E-Tech weapons, etc to trade. I guess I'm just trying to say that there would surely be something you could trade in order to get yourself an orange weapon.

I would really like to see different views on this. The way I see it is that in the long run duping will certainly hurt the life and community of this game. If anybody wants to argue against this I'd love to see what they have to say.
---
GT: xXxHaVeN117
Pokemon White FC: 2236-6428-5930
#2pothocketPosted 10/8/2012 8:17:54 AM(edited)
dupers = shiver brains

Clearly wanting to duplicate items in a game that is only about collecting unique weapons is a symptom of mental disease.
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#3auorajrPosted 10/8/2012 8:18:11 AM
I like trading, personally. I enjoy working out trades for better items. Making sacrafices for something I want more. Im not saying i hate duping as ive done it before. I just felt like the game was a bit more pointless after that as I didn't get the pleasrue of checking loot after killing something or excited over a new chest. But thats why i started a new character.
---
GT: DJ Ottbots
#4Epic_McDudePosted 10/8/2012 8:19:49 AM
Good luck.
---
"Fight for them, then, and die for their sins!" -Dracula, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
#5gunsndrosesPosted 10/8/2012 8:20:12 AM
People play video games to have fun.

Half of the people who play Borderlands do not have fun from farming bosses incessantly over and over again ad nauseum.

People have fun when they have cool gear.

People get cool gear easiest by duping.

To have fun, then, people dupe. Get the best gear, without wanting to put their head through a brick wall.

Just because people dupe doesn't mean they're playing the game wrong. Keep in mind the first sentence of the post here. Different opinions on this board, and thats fine. But I hate it when people automatically label duping and dupers as evil followers of Satan just because they want to have fun. Farming (and many people will agree with me here) isn't that fun.
---
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
#6JayGood259OzPosted 10/8/2012 8:20:23 AM
You honestly realize there is well over 1000 threads here on duping ?
#7D1TremerePosted 10/8/2012 8:20:57 AM
Any opinion which condones restricting the freedoms of others in place of self control isn't something which is about thought, which is why it's impossible to have a calm discussion on the subject.

It's like having a calm discussion on racial segregation in this day and age, we recognize the need of some to restrict the freedoms of others because of their personal likes or dislikes as repellent and unacceptable.
---
PSN: BlackSheep121
#8lubmelubyouPosted 10/8/2012 8:21:18 AM
I dupe the hell out of this game because farming is for sad acts and the unemployed.
---
Buy a PC so you can have tomorrow's technology with yesterday's games, today!
#9Epic_McDudePosted 10/8/2012 8:22:56 AM
D1Tremere posted...
Any opinion which condones restricting the freedoms of others in place of self control isn't something which is about thought, which is why it's impossible to have a calm discussion on the subject.

It's like having a calm discussion on racial segregation in this day and age, we recognize the need of some to restrict the freedoms of others because of their personal likes or dislikes as repellent and unacceptable.

w0rd. And that's exactly why I said "Good luck".
---
"Fight for them, then, and die for their sins!" -Dracula, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
#10xXxHaVeN(Topic Creator)Posted 10/8/2012 8:23:02 AM
gunsndroses posted...
People play video games to have fun.

Half of the people who play Borderlands do not have fun from farming bosses incessantly over and over again ad nauseum.

People have fun when they have cool gear.

People get cool gear easiest by duping.

To have fun, then, people dupe. Get the best gear, without wanting to put their head through a brick wall.

Just because people dupe doesn't mean they're playing the game wrong. Keep in mind the first sentence of the post here. Different opinions on this board, and thats fine. But I hate it when people automatically label duping and dupers as evil followers of Satan just because they want to have fun. Farming (and many people will agree with me here) isn't that fun.

I didn't say that they were evil, or label them at all. You read the post, right? And Idk about you, but I was having stupid amounts of fun for my first playthrough and I didn't get a single orange through the whole thing.
---
GT: xXxHaVeN117
Pokemon White FC: 2236-6428-5930