So GOTY come down to BL2 vs. Halo 4 vs. AC3

#31MoxRavagerPosted 11/3/2012 4:18:55 PM
Hakujoo posted...
The whole concept of placing arbitrary ratings on, let's be honest here, a hobby is hokum. Hell, the "Gaming Journalist" concept is pure hokum. It's all purely subjective. For instance, IGN is barely capable to express how they love Halo 4 between orgasms, but that couldn't mean less to me. To me, it's just another Halo game, and they seem like just another FPS.

Again, it's all subjective... It's all opinion based, but the general disgust is always from genre or franchise fanboys hellbent on expressing how the reviewer is a moron, inbred, homosexual, or prone to be a willing participant of countless deviant acts. All dissenters are hopeless deviants!

Ugh... It's just some meaningless "us vs. them" debate. I remember reading "reviews" when I was younger. They only nudged the audience to playing a game, or avoiding it due to coding issues. Now it's all ratings based; the reviews themselves are up to review. Were they paid off? Does their background evaluating games directly result in the perceived elevated score?

Christ, BL2 was a good game, it had some issues, AC3 is fun but it's not as historically accurate as it has touted itself to be, and Halo 4... Well, I don't know because I wont bother playing it.

Also, define the characteristics of the GOTY title. That's something that's never fully described. Story? Graphics? Character development? Gameplay mechanics?

Come on people, it's all a slipshod gesture regardless.

*slow clap*
---
Please do not post a picture of your fecal matter. ~AverageAverage
#32schu44Posted 11/3/2012 4:27:13 PM
Halo 4 or AC3? I plan on playing both as well as many of the other games that have been mentioned and I could care less what wins game of the year. As a former journalist I take reviews with a grain of salt because I know that there is always a possibility (unintended or not) for bias. I once witnessed an editor lobby other beat writers at the end of the football season into voting a kicker as the player of year of the region we covered. IGN's reviews are probably genuinely honest but it doesn't mean we are going like every game they give a good review.
#33Soul_On_DisplayPosted 11/3/2012 4:28:06 PM
I loved BL2 and I disliked AC3 very much. That's all I'm going to say. Not sure about Halo 4 yet.
---
Xbox Live: Eighth Element || PSN: Echo_Resonance
#34ymdasePosted 11/3/2012 4:35:05 PM
my vote : COD BO2 then BL2 then AC3 then nothing
#35WiiFan77Posted 11/3/2012 4:56:41 PM(edited)
Why it always comes down to crappy action-genre games, I'll never understand. GOTY is pretty much a matter of which game has the most cool explosion effects and hot females.
---
???
#36Social_SinPosted 11/3/2012 4:55:07 PM
Hakujoo posted...
The whole concept of placing arbitrary ratings on, let's be honest here, a hobby is hokum. Hell, the "Gaming Journalist" concept is pure hokum. It's all purely subjective. For instance, IGN is barely capable to express how they love Halo 4 between orgasms, but that couldn't mean less to me. To me, it's just another Halo game, and they seem like just another FPS.

Again, it's all subjective... It's all opinion based, but the general disgust is always from genre or franchise fanboys hellbent on expressing how the reviewer is a moron, inbred, homosexual, or prone to be a willing participant of countless deviant acts. All dissenters are hopeless deviants!

Ugh... It's just some meaningless "us vs. them" debate. I remember reading "reviews" when I was younger. They only nudged the audience to playing a game, or avoiding it due to coding issues. Now it's all ratings based; the reviews themselves are up to review. Were they paid off? Does their background evaluating games directly result in the perceived elevated score?

Christ, BL2 was a good game, it had some issues, AC3 is fun but it's not as historically accurate as it has touted itself to be, and Halo 4... Well, I don't know because I wont bother playing it.

Also, define the characteristics of the GOTY title. That's something that's never fully described. Story? Graphics? Character development? Gameplay mechanics?

Come on people, it's all a slipshod gesture regardless.

Agreed 110% and this is coming from someone while not in "gaming journalism" I am a fashion writer and it's generally the same concept but as I've learned despite people having the ability to have their own opinion it's sometimes easier to just take someone else's opinion and put it as your own and then just go down swinging.

I mean I get paid to tell people what is going to be "in" next season, doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be amazing or what anyone should actually buy, but some people just need to be told or feel the need to be guided towards what they should like unfortunately.
---
GT: Social Sin
Style Empire
#37inebriantiaPosted 11/3/2012 4:58:03 PM
ICantNameGud posted...
dueric posted...
GOTY will come down to which site had the best party with which publisher.

All 3 titles, plus COD will all be able to put GOTY on a box at some point in 2013.

Pretty much this.

Anyone can confirm the new Assassin's Creed brings anything differet to the table? The last 3 titles have been 4 missions in 2 towns for 3 games from the outside looking in.

Yeah, having played them all, 3 is quite different. They added hunting, horseback through town, lots of rural areas and woods, you actually play with multiple characters like revelations and play through 3 viewpoints. They added a new naval addition to the game where you battle in the ocean ship vs. ships. Most of the same bland mini-games still make up most of the game. I'm not saying the game is good or bad, just listing stuff that's included. The first half of the game felt like RDR and AC1 had a baby, lots of features of both, but not one of the core parents.
---
Because Knowledge Is Power ---- GT: GbHaseo
Currently Playing: Borderlands 2, Persona 4, .Hack//Mutation
#38Social_SinPosted 11/3/2012 5:03:07 PM
inebriantia posted...
ICantNameGud posted...
dueric posted...
GOTY will come down to which site had the best party with which publisher.

All 3 titles, plus COD will all be able to put GOTY on a box at some point in 2013.

Pretty much this.

Anyone can confirm the new Assassin's Creed brings anything differet to the table? The last 3 titles have been 4 missions in 2 towns for 3 games from the outside looking in.

Yeah, having played them all, 3 is quite different. They added hunting, horseback through town, lots of rural areas and woods, you actually play with multiple characters like revelations and play through 3 viewpoints. They added a new naval addition to the game where you battle in the ocean ship vs. ships. Most of the same bland mini-games still make up most of the game. I'm not saying the game is good or bad, just listing stuff that's included. The first half of the game felt like RDR and AC1 had a baby, lots of features of both, but not one of the core parents.

Wait when do you get to play with multiple characters in revelations? Unless it was in the little DLC thing. Wasn't it only Ezio? I don't count Desmond as a playable character until he actually gets to do something outside of find silly little collectibles in a very small area or participate in stupid build a pathway to the VR exit ala Revelations
---
GT: Social Sin
Style Empire
#39PensatoPosted 11/3/2012 5:05:01 PM
BlackWizardMagus posted...
NV was way buggier than BL2. I've had nearly every mission bug out in one playthrough or another. I've clipped through an enormous number of walls, rocks, etc. I've had flags never trigger. Some perks don't work right (or didn't, originally; I played at launch). At least BL2's glitches are somewhat consistent, so we can all expect them.

I addressed the mission bugs in NV. It's nothing compared to the the major bugs in BL2. At launch BL2 had it's own mission bugs which have been patched. Clipping has to do with collision, padding, and matting code. It's not a bug, it's a glitch. But guess what. BL2 has that as well.

Bugs are logical errors in code. That means there's always a chance for the bug to happen when the conditions that lead to the error happens. It's no different from one piece of software to another. So saying BL2 glitches are somewhat consistent compared to any other game is derp. You always have to assume you can have the bug or glitch happen to you if it exists in the game. That doesn't mean it will happen though. I still have yet to get the reset bug in BL2 while tons of people have gotten the bug.

There is a difference between a bug and a glitch. You don't seem to understand that, or much about programming.
#40Zmapper33Posted 11/3/2012 5:10:35 PM
I think RE6 is the hands down GOTY with maybe FFXIII-2 as runner up.