Randy Pitchford on The Bee nerfs

#101mooninomicsPosted 11/14/2012 2:30:58 PM
This is awesome. Not necessarily the nerf, I don't give a damn about the bee, the people who use it or how people use it. That's not important. The important thing is the outrage. The scores of people who are now quite upset about this change for whichever reason they choose. It's hilarious, and fun to watch. Hell, I use it for farming, and you don't see me crying about it. The nerf isn't outrageous.

Additional comments:

1. The bee will still wreck face. It's just that now it's not going to do it as quickly as before.
2. Just because the game isn't competitive doesn't mean things can't still be broken or overpowered.
3. Just because something made it past the testing phase and isn't a glitch doesn't mean it is working as intended.
4. This is Gearbox's game. They can make any change they want for whatever reason they want. Your options are to either live with it, stop playing, or disconnect from live and play an earlier version of the game.
5. Farming will be slowed, but is that really that much of an issue? It's still going to be faster than without the bee.
---
Are you suggesting that moon should get off his ass and write some stories? He's like the Stephen King of gamefaqs. - Sorbz
#102badreflectorPosted 11/14/2012 2:32:14 PM
Panopictonguy posted...
badreflector posted...
KCGemini posted...
Flat out, yes I enjoy getting to a point in a game like this where i'm unstoppable. Not so I can troll others, but for the sake of completion in terms of leveling and for enjoyment. If I want challenge again, i'll restart with a new character or, you know, play Dark Souls or something.

Too bad that skill > level in Dark Souls. Leveling in that game will only get you so far. If you're terrible, you can get to level 120 and still not be able to beat O&S whereas a level 1 character can beat the entire game provided they're skilled enough.

I feel insulted you would even mention playing Dark Souls as a challenge as that game doesn't rely on such obvious crutches.

The point is that this game doesn't really consist of any sort of extreme challenge, such as Dark Souls or, say, Ninja Gaiden. Yes this game can be difficult, but I'd think by now most people would have experienced, for the most part, the bulk of the challenge this game has to offer until new DLC comes out, especially considering there's no difficulty selection outside of TVHM.

See, the go to response for anything like what my original post said is "GET BETTR AT GAME" or "CRUTCH"; what I'm trying to explain is that this game isn't really that sort of game. Wanting broken equipment for my own enjoyment doesn't mean I'm any less skilled than anyone else, I just want to enjoy my end game with said broken equipment and was trying to cover the tired old lack of skill response.

Also, I'm pretty upset over insulting your paper thin skin. Do you want to talk about it? Hug it out maybe?

The thing is people are using there broken things and overrunning others. That's mostly the point. Gearbox is balancing things for Multiplayer.

They're not patching the bee because they thing it personally affect you by yourself in your single player experience. They felt the bee being so grossly overpowered AND abused was negatively affecting MP as a whole. On top of this it essentially makes all other shields unappealing.

Refer to OrgeLamberts post. They can nerf the damn things out of existence, and they'll only be making the interest in over the top modded equipment higher. It would have been best if the original iteration of the Bee and these other broken play options had never seen the light of day in terms of release but now that they have, people will want a replacement. Unfortunately, now many are going to view these changes as the removal of playstyle options, as many have already said.

Not really expecting there to be some huge outbreak of modded equipment suddenly, but this'll help spur the push for more game breaking mods to fill the gap left by these changes and others. The people who are upset about these nerfs will seek out other means of creating broken mechanics.
#103badreflectorPosted 11/14/2012 2:38:52 PM
I guess I'm coming off as one of these extremely upset people, and sure it is irritating to make such a change after so many have come to use it, but people are blaming the users of these broken items as the reason for the nerfs. I really can't argue that. I agree that the overuse of these items caused, at least in part, the nerf, but are any of you really expecting some lesson to be learned?

Instead of a broken but ignorable in game option, we'll be seeing one incredibly broken mod after another after another, like in BL1. I think if anything, this change will only make things worse for everyone complaining about the multiplayer experience. Seems like it'll become futile eventually.
#104Crimson681Posted 11/14/2012 2:44:45 PM
Maybe not everyone wants patches that consistently change how the game is balanced and played? Personally, it doesn't make the game more interesting for me, and just makes the play style I've been using no longer viable. Its the biggest complaint I had about Diablo III, and was also why I quit playing it. If Gearbox wants to go down that road, then maybe I won't buy any more of their games?
#105kiwimyweeweePosted 11/14/2012 2:48:23 PM(edited)
Crimson681 posted...
Maybe not everyone wants patches that consistently change how the game is balanced and played? Personally, it doesn't make the game more interesting for me, and just makes the play style I've been using no longer viable. Its the biggest complaint I had about Diablo III, and was also why I quit playing it. If Gearbox wants to go down that road, then maybe I won't buy any more of their games?

You're so vain, I bet you think this game is about you, about you.
---
They're not going to say no because of the implication.
#106SweetMadnessPosted 11/14/2012 3:03:40 PM
2Love4Life posted...
Wish they’d fix’d Smaller Lighter Faster FIrst :(

I know right, it doesn't even take an education past 5th grade to fix the damn problem either.
---
Trolls vs. Fanatics. Trolls win, always.
GT- SweetMadness
#107PanopictonguyPosted 11/14/2012 3:12:20 PM
SweetMadness posted...
2Love4Life posted...

I know right, it doesn't even take an education past 5th grade to fix the damn problem either.

Or maybe they intended for it to work that way considering she's a good tier character by level 6.
---
Is cheating online in a cooperative game appropriate - Y=9 N =8
#108SweetMadnessPosted 11/14/2012 3:17:11 PM
Panopictonguy posted...
SweetMadness posted...
2Love4Life posted...

Or maybe they intended for it to work that way considering she's a good tier character by level 6.

So they intended for weapons to be unusable as a Mechromancer?
---
Trolls vs. Fanatics. Trolls win, always.
GT- SweetMadness
#109I WIll Not Stab YouPosted 11/14/2012 3:31:08 PM
Gearbox are finally fixing a MISTAKE they made and didnt catch before the game was released.
selfish children everywhere throw hissy fits because they cant have what they want.

gearbox are hands down the best team in the industry right now. children are idiots brats.
---
Nice Try, Zarflax!
#110PanopictonguyPosted 11/14/2012 3:32:49 PM
SweetMadness posted...
Panopictonguy posted...
SweetMadness posted...
2Love4Life posted...

So they intended for weapons to be unusable as a Mechromancer?

All weapons become unusable? Or only ones that would be extremely OP.
---
Is cheating online in a cooperative game appropriate - Y=9 N =8