Randy Pitchford on The Bee nerfs

#91PanopictonguyPosted 11/14/2012 11:54:55 AM
kingroman5 posted...
Panopictonguy posted...
kingroman5 posted...
Panopictonguy posted...
OrgeLambart posted...
for a while there I thought Randy and the gang over at Gearbox were just laughing right along with us at the people who complained about the Bee, shield. Apprently viewing his text today he wasn't being Sarcastic at all, he was just being a ......

I don't even wanna try to put what he was being because then i'd be banned more than likely. Gearbox is out of touch, I won't say they are at Peter Molyneux level of being out of touch, but they are approaching it with rapid velocity.

So what they pretty much did was take the people who used the Bee/CC combo to avoid getting Modded weapons, removed the reason they weren't getting modded weapons.

You have a some what fun to play co-op game with a horrible drop rate, that sucks to farm alone. Combine that with modded weapons (which mark my words graveyard.sav won't be the only evil thing Modders unleash on us) Maybe instead of them tossing out the nerf stick (yeah lets be honest it was a nerf, not balance) they should work on tuning things that actually need work. Like level 52 enemies that drop level 48 gear, or bosses with garbage drop rates. How about making chest actually start popping some useful gear instead of 4 white pistols or shields.

How about you stop trying to balance a Co-op game, co-op games don't need balance. If he wanted to make the fans happy, how about nerf the bee shield and up the drop rate on boss encounters to make farming something people would be inclined to do.

Your issue is you thought you had a Call Of Duty with loot. Gearbox didn't make CoD with loot. This is more akin to Diablo with guns. They wanted players to band together and hunt evil and enchanted weapons like in Champion Of Norrath. Instead everyone was duping Bee shields & Legendary weapons and running around trying to see who could get the best Kill/Death ratio.

I'm sorry you bought the wrong game and developers are putting up bars and walls so the game will play as intended.

I've never played Diablo, is it fun? I bought borderlands 2 because I really enjoyed Borderlands 1, but it's not the same game. Lesson learned. Sequels will not be better than originals.

Diablo is a Isometric loot hunt ARPG. The story is bare-bones just like Borderlands.

You're in this mystical magical world and somehow the ultimate evil has been awaken. You fight your way through hordes of enemies to go kill Diablo. The meta game like borderlands is pretty much farming for the most amazing enchanted gear from enemies and bosses.

I think they've improved on the story in the most recent one. There are a lot of games like Diablo.

I played Skyrim and liked it. is it more like that?

No The Elder Scrolls games are more story oriented. They focus heavily on the journey. The gear in elder scrolls games is mostly trivial with your strengths and weaknesses being dependent on how you develop your characters.

In Diablo the gear makes your character. The same way the guns make your character in BL. There are skills and such that can be leveled but a lot of the damage was dependent on the weapon you were holding.

There's a game on the XBLA called Torchlight. download the demo, that is extremely similar to diablo.
---
Is cheating online in a cooperative game appropriate - Y=9 N =8
#92A_FlareonPosted 11/14/2012 11:59:13 AM
ITT: Casuals
#93TheBestFallerPosted 11/14/2012 12:00:19 PM
kingroman5 posted...
TheBestFaller posted...
kingroman5 posted...
and1ballr posted...
I don't know about anyone else, but I only use the bee shield when I'm farming. Since I have to try over & over again, the shield makes it a lot easier. I normally don't use it otherwise. My go to shield in the black hole.

likewise. Not a hardcore gamer, but I can see the point why people are mad about the bee. I'm sure someone will find another way to have an edge and people will start complaining about that. #blame twitter

And I only run red lights when I'm late for work, doesn't stop me from getting pulled over.

only an idiot would run a red light with a cop close by. #loser

And someone abusing an exploit while connected to live is any better? Well, those that don't expect reprimand.
---
I store dead bodies all up under my house and every night I hear them runnin' they mouths.
#94lordvulcanPosted 11/14/2012 12:06:43 PM
This 'nerf' only affects two weapon types {shotguns and Tediore reloads with a dastardly relic.} and makes the shield work as it was intended to work originally. You'll still be able to OHKO every normal enemy.

I had a bee on a gunzerker character and I found that only the right hand primary weapon got any benefit from the amp damage, the other weapon makes the boosted shot sound but the damage doesn't increase. I didn't even bother with the shield with any of my other character (a mechromancer filled up with 600 anarchy and a maxed out chance to ricochet hits can do considerable damage without needing that particular crux )[I was easily out-killing a bee equipped siren in the fridge area with a hellfire SMG on playthrough 2.5] so this patch doesn't affect me that much personally.
#95KCGeminiPosted 11/14/2012 12:19:01 PM
Flat out, yes I enjoy getting to a point in a game like this where i'm unstoppable. Not so I can troll others, but for the sake of completion in terms of leveling and for enjoyment. If I want challenge again, i'll restart with a new character or, you know, play Dark Souls or something.

Too bad that skill > level in Dark Souls. Leveling in that game will only get you so far. If you're terrible, you can get to level 120 and still not be able to beat O&S whereas a level 1 character can beat the entire game provided they're skilled enough.

I feel insulted you would even mention playing Dark Souls as a challenge as that game doesn't rely on such obvious crutches.
---
What's wrong with the world these days is people don't have any common sense...
#96Angel_XBlazePosted 11/14/2012 12:21:56 PM
Meh, doesn't bother me much at all. I'll just remove the patch and still play the game the way that I want to play it.
---
BlazBlue CS Main: Hazama/Ragna
"So, as I pray...Unlimited Blade Works."
#97badreflectorPosted 11/14/2012 1:15:15 PM
KCGemini posted...
Flat out, yes I enjoy getting to a point in a game like this where i'm unstoppable. Not so I can troll others, but for the sake of completion in terms of leveling and for enjoyment. If I want challenge again, i'll restart with a new character or, you know, play Dark Souls or something.

Too bad that skill > level in Dark Souls. Leveling in that game will only get you so far. If you're terrible, you can get to level 120 and still not be able to beat O&S whereas a level 1 character can beat the entire game provided they're skilled enough.

I feel insulted you would even mention playing Dark Souls as a challenge as that game doesn't rely on such obvious crutches.

The point is that this game doesn't really consist of any sort of extreme challenge, such as Dark Souls or, say, Ninja Gaiden. Yes this game can be difficult, but I'd think by now most people would have experienced, for the most part, the bulk of the challenge this game has to offer until new DLC comes out, especially considering there's no difficulty selection outside of TVHM.

See, the go to response for anything like what my original post said is "GET BETTR AT GAME" or "CRUTCH"; what I'm trying to explain is that this game isn't really that sort of game. Wanting broken equipment for my own enjoyment doesn't mean I'm any less skilled than anyone else, I just want to enjoy my end game with said broken equipment and was trying to cover the tired old lack of skill response.

Also, I'm pretty upset over insulting your paper thin skin. Do you want to talk about it? Hug it out maybe?
#98PanopictonguyPosted 11/14/2012 1:18:47 PM
KCGemini posted...

I never understood the dark souls thing. I don't think it's skill as much as it's knowing where things are.

If you know where all the blacksmiths are and how to evade certain death you can essentially grind yourself an ultimate weapon and buff some armor so that level 1 character has some survivability.

I spent the maturity of my play time on low level characters because I spent most of my souls upgrading gear. I had about 8 different characters I swapped in and out. Maybe some skill is involved in the high end PVP that doesnt revolve around lag stabbing.

But PVE is essentially grind souls until you can max your gear out. The levels really don't mean much...
---
#99PanopictonguyPosted 11/14/2012 1:21:10 PM
badreflector posted...
KCGemini posted...

The point is that this game doesn't really consist of any sort of extreme challenge, such as Dark Souls or, say, Ninja Gaiden. Yes this game can be difficult, but I'd think by now most people would have experienced, for the most part, the bulk of the challenge this game has to offer until new DLC comes out, especially considering there's no difficulty selection outside of TVHM.

See, the go to response for anything like what my original post said is "GET BETTR AT GAME" or "CRUTCH"; what I'm trying to explain is that this game isn't really that sort of game. Wanting broken equipment for my own enjoyment doesn't mean I'm any less skilled than anyone else, I just want to enjoy my end game with said broken equipment and was trying to cover the tired old lack of skill response.

Also, I'm pretty upset over insulting your paper thin skin. Do you want to talk about it? Hug it out maybe?

The thing is people are using there broken things and overrunning others. That's mostly the point. Gearbox is balancing things for Multiplayer.

They're not patching the bee because they thing it personally affect you by yourself in your single player experience. They felt the bee being so grossly overpowered AND abused was negatively affecting MP as a whole. On top of this it essentially makes all other shields unappealing.
---
#100ProdigalDragonPosted 11/14/2012 1:24:00 PM
Its funny that some of you are at odds with the makers of the game about the way their game is to be played. Or if you rather, the type of game it is.
---
The Prodigal Dragon