This wasn't nominated for GOTY by the VGA's...

#41generalhsPosted 11/16/2012 6:28:41 AM
SolidStryder posted...
The amount of blind fanboyism in this thread is hilarious. I haven't played Journey or AC3, but BL2 does not deserve a spot over ME3, TWD, or Dishonored(which really didn't deserve a spot in there, either.)

ME3 is a decent game, but a bad end to the series. It's really an excellent game (with some minor polish issues) up until the last 20 minutes or so. The extended cut DLC improved it a bit, but there's still a massive disconnect at the end, storywise.

Journey and Walking Dead (far better than what the TV show turned into) both deserve to be on there. They're both incredible games and fresh ideas.

Dishonoured is a prime example of gameplay over everything else. It's very fun to play, but has mediocre writing, story and graphics.

AC3 makes leaps and bounds graphics and gameplay wise for the series, but suffers from severe bugs and a terribly done story. I also could've used at least another year in development to fix up some awful UI issues. Parts of the game are simply not player friendly and could have been easily fixed. It's definitely not GOTY material (of the series, I think only AC2 or Brotherhood could ever deserve that title.) I highly suspect it got on there due to the game's American Revolution setting.
#42Adzy2005Posted 11/16/2012 6:49:40 AM
ACIII would never get an extended development time since they love to pump out about 3 AC titles a year, AC is as bad as CoD for just releasing the same game over and over again and calling it a sequel.
#43H_Panic22Posted 11/16/2012 10:31:42 AM
kiwimyweewee posted...
Spike tv is all that really needs to be said.

Beat me to it. BL2 isn't nominated because Gearbox didn't pony up the advertising fee.

Think of it another way. The athlete on the cover of Madden isn't selected by popular vote. EA approaches several players, and asks for a percentage of the money that athlete will make by being on the cover as the fee for getting the cover spot. Whomever has the best bid wins.

Being able to put that little "Spike TV GOTY" sticker is worth a good few dollars, but if the publisher doesn't play ball, they don't make the show. Likely because GBX is planning to do their own GOTY release with all the DLC like they did for BL1.

TL:DR No one cares because Spike's award show is functionally rigged.
---
Gamertag= H Panic22
#44atomicbreathPosted 11/16/2012 11:05:20 AM
borochadwicsays posted...
OofreakoO posted...
pro9b17 posted...
http://www.spike.com/events/video-game-awards-2012-nominees/voting/game-of-the-year

All those games don't belong. The only ones that do are Dishonored and The Walking Dead.

Borderlands 2 should have been in there.

Journey was great, but it's a small game.

Borderlands 2 doesn't deserve a nomination. Aside from the good story, graphics and voice acting, everything else is a mess. And there is literally nothing to do after one playthru. Multiplayer is most poorly designed feature of BL2. If they make a patch that fixes most of the problems, it deserves a nomination.

you've never played this game.

You're ridiculous. What, play through it another time the exact same way? YAY!!!! Most people aren't OCD gamers who play the same boss 500 times to get a slightly better, slightly unique gun. Most people play games to see the story and use the most badass guns they can imagine. Not to grind for 10 hours on the same spot mindlessly for 1 weapon. Most of us have things to do. That's why this niche game isn't GOTY, and has no REAL replay value for most of us.

Replayability is extremely high in this game. Even on playthrough 2 you are getting more skill points, better weapons, more badass ranks, and at times, more difficult enemies. Add in that you have 5 character classes and there's a lot to have fun with. Not to mention that the multiplayer co-op in this game is one of the best in the biz. It may not be GOTY but your arguments are severely lacking.
---
Fact because it's science. ==============================================
#45generalhsPosted 11/16/2012 11:22:35 AM
Adzy2005 posted...
ACIII would never get an extended development time since they love to pump out about 3 AC titles a year, AC is as bad as CoD for just releasing the same game over and over again and calling it a sequel.

One every couple years. Go back under your bridge.
#46superdiddy34Posted 11/16/2012 11:59:01 AM
generalhs posted...
Adzy2005 posted...

One every couple years. Go back under your bridge.

Assassin's Creed - 2007

Assassin's Creed 2 - 2009

Assassin's Creed: Bloodlines - 2009

Assassin's Creed: Altair's Chronicles - 2009

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood - 2011

Assassins Creed: Revelations - 2011

Assassin's Creed III - 2012

Assassin's Creed III: Liberation - 2012

seem like the couple of year thing stoped after assassin's creed 2
---
Gamertag:Urbandemon34
#47generalhsPosted 11/16/2012 12:05:27 PM(edited)
They also outsource the side games to other studios. It's not just one team building them.

Revelations had six dev teams involved, each handling a different aspect of the game. The original AC team only did some of the writing.

AC3 was obviously rushed, but it doesn't mean the whole series is "crappy" like the troll is saying.

And the handheld games are done by a completely different branch of ubisoft.
#48borochadwicsaysPosted 11/16/2012 12:14:17 PM
atomicbreath posted...
borochadwicsays posted...
OofreakoO posted...
pro9b17 posted...
http://www.spike.com/events/video-game-awards-2012-nominees/voting/game-of-the-year

All those games don't belong. The only ones that do are Dishonored and The Walking Dead.

Borderlands 2 should have been in there.

Journey was great, but it's a small game.

Borderlands 2 doesn't deserve a nomination. Aside from the good story, graphics and voice acting, everything else is a mess. And there is literally nothing to do after one playthru. Multiplayer is most poorly designed feature of BL2. If they make a patch that fixes most of the problems, it deserves a nomination.

you've never played this game.

You're ridiculous. What, play through it another time the exact same way? YAY!!!! Most people aren't OCD gamers who play the same boss 500 times to get a slightly better, slightly unique gun. Most people play games to see the story and use the most badass guns they can imagine. Not to grind for 10 hours on the same spot mindlessly for 1 weapon. Most of us have things to do. That's why this niche game isn't GOTY, and has no REAL replay value for most of us.

Replayability is extremely high in this game. Even on playthrough 2 you are getting more skill points, better weapons, more badass ranks, and at times, more difficult enemies. Add in that you have 5 character classes and there's a lot to have fun with. Not to mention that the multiplayer co-op in this game is one of the best in the biz. It may not be GOTY but your arguments are severely lacking.

You're still playing the same story every time, no matter your character or choices, or class duder. Ultimately, the replayability lies in the skill point trees, and re-specing, but still the game is short, and forces you to create you own fun by mindlessly zombie-farming by yourself for hours to get one single gun for your optimum build at end-game. (And it cracks me up that somehow this counts as re-playability). My argument was not lacking, although it may have been hostile or offensive to you.

Multi-player is lacking though, because of skewed loot distribution, cheaters, stealers, and duping. The online game is glitchy and can ruin your save file if you go into the wrong game. And like I said, MOST gamers are in the 20-34 age range, and have jobs/college/family to worry about. We can't all spend 200 hours on a game just so we can finally see the good/fun weapons and shields. You completely fail to address my arguments directly because they are all the truth, and then tell me they're lacking.

It is a niche game, for Diablo 3/WOW type players who love loot. But MOST gamers aren't in that category, like I said. Only high school kids, college kids, and jobless dudes have time to kill Doc Mercy 400 times for one gun. Most gamers are older, and into it for the story, graphics, or quick multiplayer matches like COD. Look it up, most are old people now. Even though teens do make up a large percentage of gamers, their PARENTS buy the games for them. You flat out FAIL at refuting me.

How does 5 (slightly re-tooled from the first game) character classes constitute re-playability? Oh great, now I can play through the same story FIVE TIMES, using the same guns and grenades, to end up in the same place I always do. And no one would agree with you that the multi-player is one of the best. It isn't even scored, and causes glitches, and is full of dupers and jerks. Don't come on here and come at me bro, unless you're willing to back it up.
#49generalhsPosted 11/16/2012 12:21:03 PM
Nice generalizations there buddy. I know tons of older players who love loot games like Borderlands 2. It's not as much of a niche as you think (want) it to be.

GOTY material? Probably not, but the VGAs are notorious for choosing their games half based on marketing and advertising dollars rather than game quality. Hence stuff like AC3 getting in when it really doesn't deserve it.
#50CynicalGamer1Posted 11/16/2012 12:38:55 PM
Metalgenesis posted...
VGA's are a joke award show. Basically the Teen Choice Awards of video games.

why? because your niche choice games don't get nominated? get off your hipster high horse.

Journey does belong in there because it was amazing, short, but amazing.

Assassins Creed '13 does not belong in there...I would replace that with BL2