Did they Nerf SMGs?

#1wilmer007Posted 11/25/2012 3:36:10 AM(edited)
In BL1 i was a Mercenary Siren wielding nothing but SMGs (especially my lovable Hellfire, i had a high rate of fire one with no zoom and lots of DPS, and a low rate of fire with a Zoom for sniping and longer range engagements.

Now i was looking at her Perks and Class Mods and theres no SMG buffs. I mean sure the Cat mod increases SMG DMG but lowers SMG Accuracy . I loved Mercenary Mod not only for the SMG damage but the SMG Elemental Effect Chance aswell.

Either way i'll probably be using Cat, Witch, Fox, Trickster, Legendary Siren, and Slayer of Terramorphous.

But just wanted to know if it was just me or if they actually did nerf SMGs.
---
XBL GT: xXxwilmer007xXx | http://www.youtube.com/user/wilmer007
In CoD you USE Killstreaks, In BF you ARE the Killstreak
#2iOutlawTornPosted 11/25/2012 3:46:06 AM
I feel like they balanced weapons a lot more. In BL1 if you had a Hellfire and whatever the electric counterpart was you were pretty much set. In my playthroughs I don't even think I ever used anything other than my Combustion Hellfire and my Liquid Orion.

In BL2 it actually pays to farm for other guns. Sure the CC/Bee combo is amazing but in terms of shear fun the other weapons (Unkempt Harold for example) are just as fun and destructive.

As far as SMG's go they're aren't so much nerfed as much as they are the same usefulness of other weapons. Hellfire in this game is good. Slagga is great and everybody knows how amazing the Baby Maker is.
#3Dillon360Posted 11/25/2012 4:31:42 AM
I feel like they're better.

I found a SMG that has low recoil , 75% Critical Damage bonus, and it gets more accurate the more you shoot it. I feel like I'm playing Halo. I hardly use Aim Down The Sights anymore...

I could NEVER have played Borderlands 1 like this...
---
The Walking Dead = Game of the Year
#4AngryOldFeralPosted 11/25/2012 12:14:42 PM
Yes and no, TC.

SMGs will still outclass a vast majority of the ARs in this game. But the whole "Siren + Double Anarchy SMG = Win at Everything" balancing issues aren't as prevalent.
---
Smoking Ghost / Feral Manx
Proud Outcast of Capcom Unity
#5SasquatchimoPosted 11/25/2012 12:23:44 PM
I only use smgs for one thing and one thing only. Fire one round. Tediore reload throw. <3 Baby Maker my go-to legendary.

But yeah, I didn't even bother getting a Hellfire in this game because SMGs aren't as overpowered as they were in BL1.
---
I am dumbfounded at how many people still don't know how to use google or the internet.
#6incinerator950Posted 11/25/2012 12:34:26 PM
iOutlawTorn posted...
I feel like they balanced weapons a lot more. In BL1 if you had a Hellfire and whatever the electric counterpart was you were pretty much set. In my playthroughs I don't even think I ever used anything other than my Combustion Hellfire and my Liquid Orion.

In BL2 it actually pays to farm for other guns. Sure the CC/Bee combo is amazing but in terms of shear fun the other weapons (Unkempt Harold for example) are just as fun and destructive.

As far as SMG's go they're aren't so much nerfed as much as they are the same usefulness of other weapons. Hellfire in this game is good. Slagga is great and everybody knows how amazing the Baby Maker is.

AR's are arguably the worst weapons in the game now, sadly. Not saying they should be not used, but they got hit with the overbalance stick too hard, still viable. Just that for the intermidiary weapon, Snipers with high magazines and fire rates serve as better Battle Rifles, SMGs are better fully automatic, and a Shotgun is still a shotgun, but are good at medium ranges.

So no, they didn't nerf SMG's, you're just not finding the right ones, or not playing right.
---
DS2 improves on DS in nearly every single way. problem with DS2 is that you're having too much fun to be scared.~sc0ttmst
#7SasquatchimoPosted 11/25/2012 12:37:47 PM
So no, they didn't nerf SMG's, you're just not finding the right ones, or not playing right.

No, no. Believe it when we tell you, compared to BL1, yes, SMGs were greatly weakened. Or as people like to use the nice term, "balanced".
---
I am dumbfounded at how many people still don't know how to use google or the internet.
#8LaharPosted 11/25/2012 12:44:04 PM
Honestly I think part of it is you came into BL2 expecting Maya to play exactly like Lilith did in terms of weaponry.
---
It's raining
luggage and babies and limbs and Daddy doesn't come home.
#9tony8669Posted 11/25/2012 1:01:56 PM
I dunno about those observations. I love SMGs in BL2. Pretty much the only thing I use are sniper rifles, smgs, and shotguns.
#10Max58201Posted 11/25/2012 1:35:26 PM
first assaul rifle i ever fired was in 2.5 when i found a purple dahl fire minigun with a 9 shot burst with almost no recoil. can unload the 50 clip almost instantly its my regular non armored mob weapon

but even so with a second controller you can have an up to date purple fire and corrosive smg throughout the whole game through moxxi

but i do miss my 68 damage 28 smg ammo regen mod with my hellfire and double anarchy and the awesome that is phasewalk... think how easy the raid bosses would have been with phasewalk could stop gee right on the acid and avoid hyp and Petes aoe

only reason craw was hard was his stupid back weak spot
---
I just wanted to raise his affection, NOT have him lick my nipples