My review of the Torgue DLC (spoilers)

#1Megagamer1Posted 11/28/2012 10:17:59 PM
Let's first address what the DLC does well. The availability of unique heads for all classes, for a relatively cheap price, was a smart move. The previous DLC, "Captain Scarlett," placed arbitrary limitations on its unique heads (the player must beat the campaign with a specific character); while I agree that a player should have to work for desirable loot, I too find that a player should not be locked when obtaining equipment.

Similarly, the availability of some legendary weapons in vending machines is a nice addition. The mechanics of working toward the better weapons are still apparent, without the need to necessarily grind.

Although it was disappointing that there was only one raid boss this time around (compare to two in each "Captain Scarlett" and the vanilla game,) I find that Pete (Torgue's raid boss) is generally an improvement over the others. Pete is far more balanced than Master Gee and more accessible than Verminvorous, yet still more difficult than Terramorphous.

Pete, unlike Hyperious or Master Gee, requires marginal strategy. A big issue with Borderlands' online community is that there's a lot of misinformation flying around. Hyperious is dangerous if players are not aware of his reflective shield; Master Gee if players do not know to absorb his acid pools. Spawning Verminvorous is still remarkably confusing and every player seems to have their own ritual, despite their validity. This, of course, cannot be blamed on Gearbox. I am not opposed to these decisions, but merely am thankful to have a boss that can be tanked without needing four players on the same page.

Repeatable arena missions were a great addition and the rewards are appropriate.

The carryover of Seraph currency is nice, yet Seraph items are still horribly overpriced. Looking at the end game, and assuming that additional raid bosses also drop Seraph crystals, the acquire rates of these items might be balanced. That depends on the status of duping. Once players can rack up a lot of crystals on a given day, it follows that Seraph items will be bought more, and thus duped more. If duping is fixed, Seraph items will still be a commodity, but at least an attainable one.

The writing of CoC is fairly amusing, but perhaps less so than that of the vanilla game. And CoC's campaign is not nearly as cohesive as "Captain Scarlett's." I found the premise to be less engaging than that of CS. In playing CS, I felt as though I had been placed in another world, as though Oasis was a separate entity from the rest of Pandora. CoC's areas felt like much of the same, despite that some of them (the Forge, e.g.) were both different and well-designed.

CS, in contrast to CoC, introduced several excellent new characters. More so, players were able to appreciate said characters in lengthy, isolated occurrences. CoC, however, relies on stock cast. I can't say I'm upset to have more Moxxi or Tina, but I will say I was disappointed at never having interacted with Mr. Torgue. Yes, his voice-overs were funny. So were Handsome Jack's. But at the end of the vanilla game, the latter character's story has resolution.

TL;DR
CoC is more flexible in terms of obtaining rare or otherwise desirable items in contrast to the vanilla game/Captain Scarlett and the raid boss is better balanced. The story campaign, however, was not as engaging as vanilla/CS, and relied too much on familiar characters/environments/tropes.
---
eh
#2Megagamer1(Topic Creator)Posted 11/28/2012 10:20:41 PM
One last thought:

I was sad that there was no bike vehicle. I mean, cmon. That would've been perfect.

:/
---
eh
#3Megagamer1(Topic Creator)Posted 11/29/2012 8:55:09 AM
bump
---
eh
#4Ryan2002Posted 11/29/2012 8:58:50 AM
Review needs more explosions. Just sayin.
---
A Jose Canseco bat? Tell me...you didn't pay money for this.
http://tinyurl.com/45pdkzf http://oi48.tinypic.com/ip48x1.jpg http://oi40.tinypic.com/8x7i8o.jpg
#5drake_skullPosted 11/29/2012 9:12:31 AM
Scarlet was pretty much a big fetch mission that was overly predictable and spelled out by the character dialog. The Torgue DLC was revolving around the Vault that and I quote "can only be opened when the champion of Pandora spills the blood of the ultimate coward". This was set up really well with Piston. Mr Torgue was just there for color commentary which he kept the whole thing interesting because the first time playing you really never know what to expect. I dont expect to play through Scarlets again unless its to gain access to Hyperious/Gee on TVHM as I found the whole story to be a chore, didnt feel interesting and Scarlet seemed to have a pirate accent that changed to a somewhat proper british accent. Torgue DLC is a large improvement, jes they brought back characters from the vanilla game but so did most of the DLC for the first(only the Ned didnt but lol it kinda did). Also: EXPLOSIONS!
---
"If your going to ask someone to save the world, make sure they like it the way it is"
http://www.youtube.com/user/Drakeskull23
#6VegetallPosted 11/29/2012 9:40:06 AM
IMO pete is just like Gee and Hyperious, sorta a combo, just your absorbing the AoE and have to clean yourself off, if you dont know about the values, youll never beat him...( so the AoE of Hype, and the DoT of Gee)

but they still leave in that he is lvl 50 like the others even on PT1, and he is 100x easier, and still drops the same amount of crystals and lvl 50 loot, so far out of 10 farms, i got a legendary grenade mod... lvl 50 which is nice, and dimensional runner/bandit skin at least 5x hahah..
#7rockyoumonkeysPosted 11/29/2012 9:52:51 AM
Question: are arena missions mandatory, or are they side quests? I loathe arena battles, and have no interest in this DLC if I'm forced to play even one.
---
Formerly Known As: boingboingboing
Now Reading: The Ghost Brigades, J. Scalzi
#8VegetallPosted 11/29/2012 9:56:48 AM
there is basically 1 arena type mission that is mandatory, but all of the boss battles are arena TYPE battles, its not bad like moxxi was at all, not even close... but if you want the achievement then you have to do the arena battle 3 times...
#9rockyoumonkeysPosted 11/29/2012 10:01:40 AM(edited)
Vegetall posted...
there is basically 1 arena type mission that is mandatory, but all of the boss battles are arena TYPE battles, its not bad like moxxi was at all, not even close... but if you want the achievement then you have to do the arena battle 3 times...

don't care about achievements. doesn't sound like this DLC is for me.

wish i'd known before getting the season pass, but shame on me for not expecting an arena DLC since the first game had one.

---
Formerly Known As: boingboingboing
Now Reading: The Ghost Brigades, J. Scalzi
#10puppyPosted 11/29/2012 10:29:15 AM
What makes CoC better than CS to me is the dialogue. I can't wait to repeat the missions with my buddy to listen to the dialogue again. It's like one huge hilarious wrestling intro.

CS had the raid bosses and the seraph loot, but that's for grinders.
---
You look under puppy's message.
You find a potion!