Character choice for 1st playthrough

#1KaBoom1322Posted 12/12/2012 7:11:07 AM
Hi

I'm about to playthrough Borderlands2 for the first time.I'm going to play solo my question is does anyone who has been playing Borderlands for a while have any recomendations which character to play with or even better a build for that character?
#2fakesnoop77Posted 12/12/2012 7:14:21 AM
Did you play the first one?

If so, this will give you an idea of the characters strengths as in my opinion, they are roughly the same as the original vault hunters

I started with Zero. Just to play around with his awesome melee ability especially if you get the Law pistol and Love Thumper sheild later on in the game.

My advice, Start with Zero. I had heaps of fun with his abilities
---
GT = Fakesnoop77
In pitch dark I go walking in your landscape.
#3KaBoom1322(Topic Creator)Posted 12/12/2012 7:16:47 AM
fakesnoop77 posted...
Did you play the first one?

If so, this will give you an idea of the characters strengths as in my opinion, they are roughly the same as the original vault hunters

I started with Zero. Just to play around with his awesome melee ability especially if you get the Law pistol and Love Thumper sheild later on in the game.

My advice, Start with Zero. I had heaps of fun with his abilities

I did play the first one with Brick.I've heard that Zer0's close combat skills can become really strong.
#4fakesnoop77Posted 12/12/2012 7:23:15 AM
Yup, Zero is awesome for melee.

If you go with him make sure you spend points and max out Bloodshed first then head down the Cunning tree with any left over points.

Good stuff to look out for would be; -

Law Pistol (with 100% melee damage)
Order Shield (combine with Law pistol)
Love Thumper shield
Skullmasher sniper
Trespasser Sniper

There are more but I can't think right now
---
GT = Fakesnoop77
In pitch dark I go walking in your landscape.
#5SoulAssassinnnPosted 12/12/2012 7:23:23 AM
I have played all 5 characters to level 50, and if you are planning on playing solo, Zero is the only one I would NOT recommend for a first time. He's great, but requires more of a time investment to use his skills appropriately. You will find a lot of people that used Zero first and will probably debate this ... but again I have taken all 5 to level 50 completing TVHM on each.

My recommendation would be either Axton or Maya, as Axton's turret will distract attention off of you and make it easier for you in difficult situations while Maya's skill allows you to 'phaselock' one enemy to focus on killing that enemy. Gunzerker is strong as h*ll too but I found him to be challenging in the mid-range levels and especially in the beginning of TVHM.

Just my two cents... they are all fun, and all have fun skill trees that will allow you to customize your character how you want.
#6KaBoom1322(Topic Creator)Posted 12/12/2012 7:25:55 AM
SoulAssassinnn posted...
I have played all 5 characters to level 50, and if you are planning on playing solo, Zero is the only one I would NOT recommend for a first time. He's great, but requires more of a time investment to use his skills appropriately. You will find a lot of people that used Zero first and will probably debate this ... but again I have taken all 5 to level 50 completing TVHM on each.

My recommendation would be either Axton or Maya, as Axton's turret will distract attention off of you and make it easier for you in difficult situations while Maya's skill allows you to 'phaselock' one enemy to focus on killing that enemy. Gunzerker is strong as h*ll too but I found him to be challenging in the mid-range levels and especially in the beginning of TVHM.

Just my two cents... they are all fun, and all have fun skill trees that will allow you to customize your character how you want.

I like the idea of phaselocking an enemy it looks to be more useful than phasewalk but i also like close combat.Tough choice to pick Maya or Zer0.
#7SoulAssassinnnPosted 12/12/2012 7:50:02 AM
The only thing I did not enjoy about Zero ... given he's a melee/sniper, I wanted to beast with him as a sniper. But what happens most often is that enemies don't spawn until you're right on their spot ... meaning there are many areas where you can't just sit back in the distance and headshot.
#8KaBoom1322(Topic Creator)Posted 12/12/2012 7:55:06 AM
SoulAssassinnn posted...
The only thing I did not enjoy about Zero ... given he's a melee/sniper, I wanted to beast with him as a sniper. But what happens most often is that enemies don't spawn until you're right on their spot ... meaning there are many areas where you can't just sit back in the distance and headshot.

I heard the sniping got nerfed alot.
#9DieRomantiicPosted 12/12/2012 8:17:56 AM
SoulAssassinnn posted...

As someone whos still on their first playthrough as zero this is true.

Its the one annoying thing ive noticed. It's still fun but (unless you're melee) dont expect to be using a sniper all the time.
---
Before the Nightmare
#10LionHeartSJTPosted 12/12/2012 8:20:45 AM
I've only played as zero for my first play through and im going through TVHM

Dont get me wrong i love the character BUT i've played with other people who use different character and i aggree that Axton or Maya are probably easier to go through.

Im on my second play through which is TVHM "True Vault Hunter Mode" and i've decided to change Zero around a bit seeing as i love sniping but i think the "Final Unlock" sucks.....but thats my ohnest opinion.

You might as well check online for each characters skill tree or download apps for smart phones to see what you can get, thats what i do when i wonna change Zero before i spend the cash for a respec