Stop Telling People...

#1PanopictonguyPosted 1/8/2013 7:15:02 AM
To skip all the sidequest in TVHM in their first time through the game. I'm somewhat starting to understand why people feel the way they do about loot. People don't "suggest" this idea, they blatantly tell new players not to do side quest in PT2 as if they won't be able to do this with however many other character they create while taking advantage of the shared stash feature.

Being experienced I can say this makes the game hard as ****. Doing a few sidequest won't be enough to keep up with the way enemy levels leap as you progress through the main story-line. Constantly fighting super bad ass enemies 4 or 5 levels higher who conveniently have shields that give them resistance to the element they are most weak against can be frustrating for someone new to the Borderland series all together. I enjoy the challenge of fighting enemies like this and having to take cover and organize attacks with my team. This might not be enjoyable to a new player however.

I can almost see why so many people wanted power leveling and "believe" most weapons suck. Most weapons will suck when going through the game and most of the enemies are 2 to 3 levels higher than you. You can't keep up to date gear because your level doesn't even match the gear you need to be at equal grounds with the enemy.

I missed out on a portion of this because I made the mistake of playing with some guys who felt it was fun to run around with The Bee & Shreddifier/Conference Call all the way through TVHM. So I didn't notice how quickly enemy levels would jump because everything died before I could get near it anyway.

The best "suggestion" for new players to the series is to complete the game 2 Full times. Doing side-quest as they come, or as you need to keep yourself at equal levels with the enemies. The unique quest rewards you get will help you through the game, and you can store them to give to another character who you actually want to skip quest with in TVHM mode. Unless you want a really big challenge and crazy uphill battle, this is the best suggestion I can offer to someone new to the series.
---
Oh, you thought they made this game for you? You clearly bought the wrong game.
#2Argyle_GargoylePosted 1/8/2013 7:22:28 AM
good point. i kinda regret mentioning it to the guy in the shield thread, though i did tell him to only do it if he needs the uniques at level 50.

i sometimes forget that i already have decent gear to transfer to my leveling characters.

not to mention i have like 60 gold keys from all of the codes that have been posted. getting good gear at level wasnt really an issue for me.

TC does have pretty good advice for new players though. unless you are planning to do 1 playthrough and 1 playthrough only, you can always save a quest reward for 50 on another character. no reason to save it if you are really struggling to find some decent gear at your level
---
Crazy? Crazy with low prices on Wind Brahmin. You buy one!!
#3kiwimyweeweePosted 1/8/2013 7:28:15 AM
http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=206072

Link is relevant.
---
They're not going to say no because of the implication.
#4elp5000Posted 1/8/2013 8:17:54 AM
I disagree. I played through TVHM without doing any side quests and did not it find it too hard to do. The only time the game got really difficult was during a portion of "Toil And Trouble". The game just seemed to take a huge upshot in difficulty. I was around level 46 and all of the sudden the enemies were around level 48/49. I would think that after you have fully played through the entire game on playthrough 1 you could get through TVHM without doing side quests. The game does give you the weapons you need to do this, sometimes you just need to adjust your playstyle..
---
"Critical killing is an art unto itself, and I am Rembrandt"
#5Panopictonguy(Topic Creator)Posted 1/8/2013 8:27:57 AM
elp5000 posted...
I disagree. I played through TVHM without doing any side quests and did not it find it too hard to do. The only time the game got really difficult was during a portion of "Toil And Trouble". The game just seemed to take a huge upshot in difficulty. I was around level 46 and all of the sudden the enemies were around level 48/49. I would think that after you have fully played through the entire game on playthrough 1 you could get through TVHM without doing side quests. The game does give you the weapons you need to do this, sometimes you just need to adjust your playstyle..

It's possible people could get extremely lucky and always get a bunch of high end weapons. While at the same time it's possible people could get average weapons. It's all in luck. Golden Keys help, but if you're moving through the story fast enough you'll eventually hit a brick wall.

And playstyle will probably make things seem different. Me and my group play tactically and play roles. Healer, Tank, DPS...so we really did not notice how quickly the enemies were out-pacing us in level progression until we hit Wildlife Preserve and everything was 2-4 level higher than us and super bad asses were 4 to 5 levels higher.
---
Oh, you thought they made this game for you? You clearly bought the wrong game.
#6TrazielPosted 1/8/2013 8:40:45 AM
Having this issue as we speak. Running through with my first character, Maya, and on multiple occasions I'd walk into a new area and immediately notice skulls on everything. This leads to me wasting time trying to remember a which quests dont give blue weapons.

Not saying it's impossible, and the ramped up difficulty leads to more strategic and amazing shootouts, but it can be time consuming until you luck up on a chest or random badass drop.

I agree with TC all the way.
---
Gamertag: LaGrimm
Now Playing: Borderlands 2
#7megaddtdPosted 1/8/2013 9:22:32 AM
Panopictonguy posted...
elp5000 posted...

It's possible people could get extremely lucky and always get a bunch of high end weapons. While at the same time it's possible people could get average weapons. It's all in luck. Golden Keys help, but if you're moving through the story fast enough you'll eventually hit a brick wall.

And playstyle will probably make things seem different. Me and my group play tactically and play roles. Healer, Tank, DPS...so we really did not notice how quickly the enemies were out-pacing us in level progression until we hit Wildlife Preserve and everything was 2-4 level higher than us and super bad asses were 4 to 5 levels higher.

Gold keys are what got me through most of the 2nd playthrough with my first character, Zer0. I wound up giving in and doing a few of the side quests just so I'd have some decent weapons so I can get to PT2.5.

Now I have a nice tier of weapons built up that my other characters can use to get to PT2.5 much easier so they can hold off on more of those quests.
#8StormWolf12Posted 1/8/2013 9:27:45 AM
Terrible advice. Some of the worst.

Don't listen. You want a level 50 Thumper, Rubi, FoF, etc.
#9BigSai29Posted 1/8/2013 9:35:18 AM
Just do side quests that don't yield Unique gear as a reward, it's not that complicated. It's color-coordinated ffs.
#10StormWolf12Posted 1/8/2013 9:39:03 AM
BigSai29 posted...
Just do side quests that don't yield Unique gear as a reward, it's not that complicated. It's color-coordinated ffs.

Exactly.