did they ever say why the bank is so small?

#1ProdigalDragonPosted 1/13/2013 6:28:07 AM
topic.
---
The Prodigal Dragon
#2davinthegreat98Posted 1/13/2013 7:30:05 AM
they figured the drop rate was so low that nobody would ever fill it up.
---
Not changing this sig until i fix my time machine.
Finished on 8/26/2012
#3SlazerPosted 1/13/2013 7:52:36 AM
This is one of the things I really don't get about BL. They hype up the bajillion gun thing all the time and only allow you to store 15 of them.
---
see quote for sig
#4KaBoom1322Posted 1/13/2013 7:54:04 AM
Slazer posted...
This is one of the things I really don't get about BL. They hype up the bajillion gun thing all the time and only allow you to store 15 of them.

Agreed
#5danishjuggler21Posted 1/13/2013 7:58:01 AM
I don't know. A bigger bank would have been nice, as I save a LOT of weapons (blue and higher) that I think will be useful for future characters, and a bigger bank would have reduced the frequency with which I have to transfer stuff to my mules.

And don't even get me started on Claptrap's secret stash. Four items? That is the most inconvenient way I can think of to "twink".
---
XBOX Live Gamertag: danishjuggler03
"I refuse to quote myself in my signature - I've always thought people who do that are lame." - danishjuggler21
#6InfernoSDPosted 1/13/2013 8:21:37 AM
It seems to be a memory thing. The game only likes to have so many objects active in the world at a time. Same reason weapons disappear over time. If you manage to get a few hundred items in your inventory, on the ground, or in your bank, the game lags up and can eventually crash.
---
|| ||\ || ||"" ||"" ||"") ||\ || /''''\
|| || \|| ||"" ||, ||""\ || \|| \,,,/
#7AlleRacingPosted 1/13/2013 8:24:32 AM
Eh, that's a poor excuse. We could have 42 bank slots and upward of 60 inventory slots in the first game, and Crawmerax dropped 5 times the loot anything in this game drops.
---
http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8325/scrunchface2copyfx0.png
http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/default/alle5.jpg
#8BigSai29Posted 1/13/2013 8:44:39 AM
http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?p=3391282#post3391282]

Long-winded, illogical damage control post.
#9Robtcee13Posted 1/13/2013 8:58:58 AM
All that post tells me is that their decision and the reasoning was sound, but the implementation wasn't. The thing is, they explain right there that game development has a really harsh deadline you have to follow, at least when it comes to triple-A releases. It's not exactly a perfect excuse or anything, but the fact of the matter is no developer can make a perfect game. So much of the game quality is based on preference, and perfection is one of those things that developers have to spend years on to make a game that only has run and shoot buttons. There are so many things that can go wrong, and so many dimensions of game design, that perfecting everything is almost impossible, especially in a game that is as relatively complex as Borderlands.
---
If you think my name is silly, you should call me either Rob or LaughingThesaurus.
No need for being strictly formal on a message board, right?
#10InfernoSDPosted 1/13/2013 9:10:44 AM
UI designers were concered about not being able to sort and display a large number of item in an efficient manner in the UI (this becomes even more of an issue in split-screen on consoles).

Wouldn't be as much of a problem if they hadn't enlarged the amount of space a single item takes on the inventory screen. BL1 inventory displays 13 items, all in a text list so you can easily scroll through them. BL2 inventory displays 7, all images. Meanwhile, other developers innovate ways of handling inventory beyond a flat list.

Can't refute his arguments about casual players, though. If you want a game to sell better, it needs to appeal more to a mainstream audience, so you have to make it simpler and more accessable. Too bad the more hardcore fans always get shafted in that process.
---
|| ||\ || ||"" ||"" ||"") ||\ || /''''\
|| || \|| ||"" ||, ||""\ || \|| \,,,/