did they ever say why the bank is so small?

#11havok718Posted 1/13/2013 11:14:07 AM(edited)
It seems to be a memory thing. The game only likes to have so many objects active in the world at a time. Same reason weapons disappear over time. If you manage to get a few hundred items in your inventory, on the ground, or in your bank, the game lags up and can eventually crash.

Yeah that's it. I only have 27 slots because they needed to put 4 more lockers in random location X.

They're right about the UI thing. If you stick a lot of items into the bank using the various tricks, every time you open the bank you need to wait like 10 seconds before you can move anything. This is also what causes the scroll wheel bug when going through inventory (if you played PC you will know this well). But that's completely their fault. And really, how hard can it be to have more than a couple of items in a storage? What kind of inept programmers do they have at Gearbox?
#12Cats_of_KlibanPosted 1/13/2013 1:09:03 PM
From the Gearbox post ...
Maybe you want to keep one corrosive shotgun, one fire shotgun, one shock shotgun, and one slag shotgun so that you will have them if you need them. It is nice to have a variety of weapon types with different elemental effects so that you can use them against the enemies that they work the best on. That's the reason that you have as many backpack slots as you do.

They get it ...but are just bad at math? ..lol.

Bank 16 + backpack 27 + Claptrap spot 4 = 47.
6 weapons + shock/fire/corrosive/explosive/slag/plain(if has some good perk) = 36.
5 Nade types for challenges + 5 shield types for challenges = 10 ..and then add you'll want at least a couple element versions for some of them. Lets say only 2 each, so add 4 more = 14 total.
We're at 50 before even addressing mods & relics.

Back to their view ...
BTest stats indicated that people tend to carry around weapons that weren't used much.

So they assume you'll have weapon prefs, and so won't use 1 or 2, even though all have challenges. They probably also assume elemental prefs(tho' they also all have challenges), so drop 1 of those ...and you've opened up as many as 16 slots ..which leaves room for (50 - 16 = 34, vs 47 = ) 13 mods/relics ..which isn't bad.

Wait ..are their decisions actually making sense? NO NO NO ..STOP IT (I love hearing bots complain ..lol). Anyhow, while I'm a collector & always want more storage, I guess I can see why they did it the way they did. They make it very clear they don't care how you like to play ..they want you to play it their way :)
---
. .. ... ....
#13MrImpatient35Posted 1/13/2013 1:37:26 PM
Slazer posted...
This is one of the things I really don't get about BL. They hype up the bajillion gun thing all the time and only allow you to store 15 of them.

exactly
---
I have Dysarthria. It's a Speech problem. Your question is answered now.
#14TotalEKlypzPosted 1/13/2013 5:50:19 PM
Reading this I saw "I'm willing to bet that there are very few players who kept the first gun they were given at the very beginning of the game ("My First Gun"), carried it all the way to the end of the game, and used that gun alone to defeat Handsome Jack."

Has anyone tried this?
#15BigSai29Posted 1/13/2013 5:51:31 PM
Reading that line made me think hyperbole much? Eat a **** gbx.
#16PanopictonguyPosted 1/13/2013 5:57:10 PM
Cats_of_Kliban posted...
Maybe you want to keep one corrosive shotgun, one fire shotgun, one shock shotgun, and one slag shotgun so that you will have them if you need them. It is nice to have a variety of weapon types with different elemental effects so that you can use them against the enemies that they work the best on. That's the reason that you have as many backpack slots as you do.

6 weapons + shock/fire/corrosive/explosive/slag/plain(if has some good perk) = 36.
5 Nade types for challenges + 5 shield types for challenges = 10 ..and then add you'll want at least a couple element versions for some of them. Lets say only 2 each, so add 4 more = 14 total.

Back to their view ...
BTest stats indicated that people tend to carry around weapons that weren't used much.

So they assume you'll have weapon prefs, and so won't use 1 or 2, even though all have challenges. They probably also assume elemental prefs(tho' they also all have challenges), so drop 1 of those ...and you've opened up as many as 16 slots ..which leaves room for (50 - 16 = 34, vs 47 = ) 13 mods/relics ..which isn't bad.

Wait ..are their decisions actually making sense? NO NO NO ..STOP IT (I love hearing bots complain ..lol). Anyhow, while I'm a collector & always want more storage, I guess I can see why they did it the way they did. They make it very clear they don't care how you like to play ..they want you to play it their way :)

Are you serious about this statement?
---
Oh, you thought they made this game for you? You clearly bought the wrong game.
#17tony8669Posted 1/13/2013 6:02:08 PM
So nobody uses mule characters, huh?

My only beef is that it's time consuming to only be able to shuffle around 4 weapons at a time, but I have plenty of space with 5 characters.
#18drake_skullPosted 1/13/2013 6:04:28 PM
Gearbox said "Hey lets force them to create a bunch of needless character Mules so they can actually collect a full set of legendaries. Not to mention the fact that most smart players will have more than 4 weapons to cycle through(or might find a weapon they want for another character, they didnt even make allowances for this really). And since Claptraps stash is broken, it can and will eat weapons so its not really safe we cant really consider that storage(as its only 4 slots profile wide and has proven to be unreliable). The whole swapping weapons out for something better would work if we had the BL1 loot system where we could always find something we liked more or was statistically better than your current equipment but no, in BL2 I generally cant find something better unless its higher level. Once you hit 50 and get Legendaries at 50 the other loot just becomes meaningless because the Legendaries outclass the other weapons.
---
"If your going to ask someone to save the world, make sure they like it the way it is"
http://www.youtube.com/user/Drakeskull23
#19danishjuggler21Posted 1/13/2013 6:16:00 PM
BigSai29 posted...
http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?p=3391282#post3391282]

Long-winded, illogical damage control post.

Rage post ahead:

Okay, this, THIS, my friends, is why I HATE the way video games are made these days. They're designed by committees armed with boatloads of "data". They quantify this, and enumerate that, and make design decisions based on statistics. Take the square root of fun, add the derivative of enjoyment, divide it by satisfaction, and BOOM! you have a best-selling video game.

Hey jackasses, why not try making a video game that YOU YOURSELVES would enjoy playing? Make design decisions based on what YOU think would be fun. Trust me, people will still buy it and love it.

My God, imagine if MUSIC were made this way? Oh wait, it IS! That's how we got Katy Perry and Kesha and Bruno Mars. Good lord. If Gearbox designs Borderlands 3 based on user data and focus groups, it'll be the Kesha of video games. "Hey guys, we really aren't reaching the college-age female demographic, so let's put in some side missions that involve making out with other girls to gain approval from frat boys."

End of rage post.
---
XBOX Live Gamertag: danishjuggler03
"I refuse to quote myself in my signature - I've always thought people who do that are lame." - danishjuggler21
#20PhilOnDezPosted 1/13/2013 6:55:44 PM
Panopictonguy posted...
Cats_of_Kliban posted...

Back to their view ...

Are you serious about this statement?

I think many people WANT Borderlands to be a game about collecting loot, storing it away in a Trophy room, and being able to show off that loot to their friends, but this is not the game that Borderlands was designed to be.

If you read the link in the OP the summary of every paragraph is "This is how we want the game to be. If you want it to be something else, you're playing the wrong game." The first line said there wasn't going to be a TL:DR, probably because the TL:DR was "**** you, this is our game."
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there