Pistols...they don't suck. iI there any area that SMGs totally eclipse pistols?

#1Mister_VanillaPosted 1/14/2013 7:21:29 PM
First off...nobody really said they did.

I just never gave them a fair shot, beyond the first town where they were all you could get.

But Im using some now and WOW. JAcobs revolvers are fun and powerful.

I got a goofy pink pistol from Tina Tina and its an effective death dealer.

With some of the full auto pistols...my question is this...

What can SMGs ( my previous go to weapon) do that a good pistol cant?

Since this board turned me around to playing Zero, who has good pistol mods, Im thinking of switching my pitch up and going pistoleer.
#2tony8669Posted 1/14/2013 7:23:56 PM
There are only a few good pistols: Fibber, Infinity, and Maggie.

In my own personal experience, SMGs in general are good: I don't HAVE to use an orange or E-Tech for them to be good.
#3Machspeed2Posted 1/14/2013 7:26:20 PM
tony8669 posted...
There are only a few good pistols: Fibber, Infinity, and Maggie.

In my own personal experience, SMGs in general are good: I don't HAVE to use an orange or E-Tech for them to be good.

my double hornet is my go-to caustic weapon. It's a great pistol.
#4capnovanPosted 1/14/2013 7:28:15 PM
pair that up with a Sheriff's Badge that increases fire rate and damage for pistols, and you can do some work.
---
You can take my Karma, but you'll never take......MY FREEDOM!
#5MarsillioPosted 1/14/2013 7:28:32 PM
Mostly ammo reserves and clip size. I'm sure it varies wildly with each manufacturer but they generally have lower recoil as well.
---
Capcom won't see another damn cent from me until Mega Man Legends 3 is released.
#6BigRobb2389Posted 1/14/2013 7:29:29 PM
Pistols usually have higher damage than SMGs, SMGs will have higher rates of fire and larger clip sizes though.

Even if you get a pistol that has a fire rate and clip size equal to an SMG, you are able to hold more SMG ammo on you at a time, as pistols like that tend to eat through ammo too fast.

I prefer a good pistol to an SMG, personally.
---
http://www.last.fm/user/BigRobb/
#7youngunner2123Posted 1/14/2013 7:29:32 PM
All my Harold's and Pocket Rockets say other wise also

Oh yeah Hornet like above poster said. Gunerang's and some Gubs are really good
---
Your arms are too short to box with GOD!!!
#8synthetiksinPosted 1/14/2013 7:37:42 PM
Tediore SMGs are, imo, the best because of the reload damage. Huge mag, means high damage. It's basically a full auto smg with an underslung grenade launcher. Dahl's smgs are a mixture between burst assault rifles and smgs. You still have the huge mag and crap accuracy, but zoomed in, the thing shoots 3+ rounds at the same time. If you can accurately aim and hit heads, that's basically instant kill for most things.

Vladof pistols are basically higher damage smgs. My favorite gun in the game is a purple vladof pistol that completely wrecks anything and everything, perfect for my snake eyes ninja zero. Sure you have a smaller mag (and reserve) but if you are doing twice the damage per shot and more accurately, mag size isn't really relevant.
#9Mister_Vanilla(Topic Creator)Posted 1/14/2013 7:38:25 PM
BigRobb2389 posted...
Pistols usually have higher damage than SMGs, SMGs will have higher rates of fire and larger clip sizes though.

Even if you get a pistol that has a fire rate and clip size equal to an SMG, you are able to hold more SMG ammo on you at a time, as pistols like that tend to eat through ammo too fast.

Im not an expert, but wouldnt higher damage = less bullets needed?
#10I have no namePosted 1/14/2013 7:53:24 PM
Mister_Vanilla posted...
BigRobb2389 posted...

Im not an expert, but wouldnt higher damage = less bullets needed?

As a personal observation I seem to run out of ammo annoyingly quickly using a full-auto pistol while I've never run out of SMG ammo despite spraying like crazy. It also seems like SMGs are easier to control on full-auto even though the full-auto pistol does thousands more damage.
---
You're the stranger, ain'tcha? Are you looking for a nice, clean place to stay?
Madam, I had a nice clean place to stay... and I left it, to come here.