Gearbox - The one hit wonder?

#1FindmeElseweyrPosted 1/16/2013 12:50:43 AM
Honestly, I can't think of any game before borderlands that they did worth note.

Every game post borderlands has been trash, and Borderlands 2 pales in comparison to the original. I think they got incredibly lucky, somehow managed to make ONE spectacular game.. and that's it. Borderlands 3 will probably be plagued with the same problems as BL2, and once again it'll miss the point of why everyone loved BL1.
---
I have never been more serious about anything in my life.
dungeonfighter.nexon.net
#2nolen2131Posted 1/16/2013 12:54:52 AM
FindmeElseweyr posted...
Honestly, I can't think of any game before borderlands that they did worth note.

Every game post borderlands has been trash, and Borderlands 2 pales in comparison to the original. I think they got incredibly lucky, somehow managed to make ONE spectacular game.. and that's it. Borderlands 3 will probably be plagued with the same problems as BL2, and once again it'll miss the point of why everyone loved BL1.

C'mon man, BL2 was good. It wasn't as epic as BL1, but it is a good game for sure. As far as anything else, couldn't tell you. I don't even think I have played anything else. If I did, I didn't know it cuz it wasn't good
#3Tec187Posted 1/16/2013 1:00:56 AM(edited)
Name one game series where an EPIC game was matched or surpassed by a sequel.

Even if you "feel" like you can, it's completely subjective, and your statement here is completely subjective - which is all good and fine.

I think BL2 IS an awesome game. Not as good as the first one, but close, and one of the games I spend the most time on in a long long time.
---
ULCE #: 12.834
~ "I don't need luck, I have ammo" ~ Grunt, ME3
#4nolen2131Posted 1/16/2013 1:06:11 AM
Tec187 posted...

Even if you "feel" like you can, it's completely subjective, and your statement here is completely subjective - which is all good and fine.

I think BL2 IS an awesome game. Not as good as the first one, but close, and one of the games I spend the most time on in a long long time.

Well said...or written in this case. Really good game. Other than bioshock 2...just kidding. Here's hoping that bioshock infinite is awesome sauce. I've been waiting for too long on that one
#5BigSai29Posted 1/16/2013 1:16:54 AM
I really don't know what they are about outside of Borderlands and getting a pass on Duke Nukem Forever being terrible yet the typical Gearbox fanboy makes them out to be the G.O.A.T. developer.
#6AngryOldFeralPosted 1/16/2013 1:20:04 AM
BigSai29 posted...
I really don't know what they are about outside of Borderlands and getting a pass on Duke Nukem Forever being terrible yet the typical Gearbox fanboy makes them out to be the G.O.A.T. developer.

Makes me wary about Aliens: Colonial Marines.

Gearbox seems to be pretty hit-or-miss on a grand scale. It's like dating a bipolar woman. It'll either be fantastic or nightmarish, and you don't really know when either will occur.
---
Smoking Ghost / Feral Manx
Proud Outcast of Capcom Unity
#72sips1ripPosted 1/16/2013 1:23:26 AM
Honestly I like borderlands 2 more than the first BL I could actually follow the story in 2 as for the mention of duke nukem forever I actually enjoyed it aswell I really didn't see why everyone complained about it.
---
Nobody calls me bub anymore & Omega red is a bed wetter-Deadpool to Wolverine
#8PensatoPosted 1/16/2013 1:38:05 AM
nolen2131 posted...
C'mon man, BL2 was good. It wasn't as epic as BL1, but it is a good game for sure.

But it could have been a lot better, Gearbox really dropped the ball on BL2. Less subjective is the fact that BL2 is plagued with bugs, glitches and poor design. The fact gamers think such a halfassed coded game is "amazing" or even good is kind of sad. Sure, it had potential but it needed a more competent developer to have reached it.

Also, there's nothing really epic about BL1 or BL2.
#9TsurukePosted 1/16/2013 1:53:11 AM
Tec187 posted...

Just to name a few sequels: (as in 2nd installments to make this comparison more accurate to the subject matter)
Dead Space 2?
Tekken Tag Tournament 2?
Soul Calibur II?
Warriors Orochi 2?
Fable 2?
Ninja Gaiden II?
Left 4 Dead 2?
Portal 2?
Samurai Warriors 2?
BlazBlue Continuum Shift (2)?
Metal Gear Solid 2?
Halo 2?
Dead or Alive 2?
Zone of the Enders: the 2nd Runner?
Marvel vs Capcom 2?
Gundam Battle Assault 2?

(One that comes to mind that was worse than the first)
Devil May Cry 2

Care to agree? or disagree?
---
XBL GT/PSN: Tsuruke.
#10havok718Posted 1/16/2013 2:13:42 AM
Fighting games dont count. Sequels are usually more like version 1.5. MGS2 wasnt better than MGS. The story was a ridiculously convoluted pile of hot mess.