Gearbox - The one hit wonder?

#31Kerr AvonPosted 1/16/2013 3:16:50 PM
Gearbox did the very good official Half-Life expansion Opposing Forces, which inroduced some great new things to Half-Life (some new aliens and alien weapons, soldiers you fought alongside and who were tougher than the security guards, and they also added rope climbing, which didn't work as well as it should, actually), plus it fit in well with the Black Mesa background (unlike the very disappointing second expansion, Blue Shift), and you even got to see Gordan Freeman a couple of times. It was too short, had a rubbish ending, and didn't fix the Half-Life bug where you could get trapped in the floor of lifts (elevators), but overall it was very good.

If you like Half-Life, then you *must* play Opposing Force. And then play Azure Sheep, the fan made mod, which does the same thing as Blue Shift (i.e. it lets you play as Barney, and rounds off the Half-Life trilogy, in HL you play as a scientist (Gordan Freeman), in Opposing Force you play as a soldier (Corporal Adrian Shepard), and in Azure Sheep (and Blue Shift) you play as a security guard. But Blue Shift adds nothing of value to the experience (and is amazingly short) but Azure Sheep is long, detailed, and even lets you fight alongside Freeman and Shepard in parts, and it lets you explore the areas that you go through in Half-LIfe's intro (when you're in the tram before the game starts) and fight for survival as you finally get to tranverse the areas you only saw from the tram, previously.
---
"PCs don't catch viruses or malware. Stupid users do." - The Cranky Hermit.
For all things N64: http://z9.invisionfree.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/
#32PanopictonguyPosted 1/16/2013 3:42:38 PM
fredbeatswilma posted...
Disgaea 2 was better than one.

How dare you!?
---
Oh, you thought they made this game for you? You clearly bought the wrong game.
#33TwCabl3Posted 1/16/2013 5:40:03 PM
Chrono Trigger Rules posted...
KayOKiidd posted...
Tec187 posted...
Name one game series where an EPIC game was matched or surpassed by a sequel.

Even if you "feel" like you can, it's completely subjective, and your statement here is completely subjective - which is all good and fine.

I think BL2 IS an awesome game. Not as good as the first one, but close, and one of the games I spend the most time on in a long long time.

Mass Effect 2 was leagues ahead of ME1. Batman Arkham Asylum was a good game but Batman Arkham City was even better. Uncharted 2 was better than Uncharted 1. There are a few out there. BL2 to "me" is about the same as BL1 and they are still not done with the game yet. They need to RAISE the da#n level cap and we might have a decent game. Playing everything at level 50 and losing all the experience is getting really old really fast for a shooter based on RPG elements.

ROFLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

ME2 BETTER THAN 1 ?!?!?!?! Sir you are the only single person in the entire world who thinks so xd xd

Can't tell if you're serious. ME 2 blows ME 1 out of the water.

ME 2 puts ME1 in a body bag. Then puts the body bag in a body bag.
---
XBL Gamertag- cabald
#34RinglercorpPosted 1/16/2013 5:45:51 PM
TwCabl3 posted...
KayOKiidd posted...
Tec187 posted...

Even if you "feel" like you can, it's completely subjective, and your statement here is completely subjective - which is all good and fine.

I think BL2 IS an awesome game. Not as good as the first one, but close, and one of the games I spend the most time on in a long long time.

Mass Effect 2 was leagues ahead of ME1. Batman Arkham Asylum was a good game but Batman Arkham City was even better. Uncharted 2 was better than Uncharted 1. There are a few out there. BL2 to "me" is about the same as BL1 and they are still not done with the game yet. They need to RAISE the da#n level cap and we might have a decent game. Playing everything at level 50 and losing all the experience is getting really old really fast for a shooter based on RPG elements.

ROFLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

ME2 BETTER THAN 1 ?!?!?!?! Sir you are the only single person in the entire world who thinks so xd xd

Can't tell if you're serious. ME 2 blows ME 1 out of the water.

ME 2 puts ME1 in a body bag. Then puts the body bag in a body bag.

I seriously disagree. EAware streamlined the crap out of ME2.
---
NOPE! It's just Chuck Testa.
#35Ryan2002Posted 1/16/2013 5:53:56 PM
Tec187 posted...

Assassin's Creed II
Super Mario Bros 3
Final Fantasy 2+
Resident Evil 2
---
A Jose Canseco bat? Tell me...you didn't pay money for this.
http://tinyurl.com/45pdkzf http://oi48.tinypic.com/ip48x1.jpg http://oi40.tinypic.com/8x7i8o.jpg
#36fredbeatswilmaPosted 1/16/2013 5:56:14 PM
Final fantasy 2? Please tell me you mean final fantasy 4.
---
uh huh, herbal derbally berbil urbil
#37BlargTaCularPosted 1/16/2013 6:06:03 PM
100% agreed with TC, Gearbox is probably done after hurting their rep so much with this game, they havent got a clue what their fans want and instead of improving on BL1 theyve given us some dumbed down commercial money grab.

How is 2 dumbed down in comparison to 1 in ANY way?
---
[ freedom of speech removed by a moderator or administrator ]
SS friend code - 0991 7155 1152
#38Chrono Trigger RulesPosted 1/16/2013 6:19:13 PM
BlargTaCular posted...
100% agreed with TC, Gearbox is probably done after hurting their rep so much with this game, they havent got a clue what their fans want and instead of improving on BL1 theyve given us some dumbed down commercial money grab.

How is 2 dumbed down in comparison to 1 in ANY way?

BAR instead of weapon skills
Easier missions and enemies
More hand holding
Exploitable weapons and combinations
and plenty more
---
Best RPGs to date: CT, Lufia 2, SoM, SoAL
#39fat_irish_guyPosted 1/16/2013 8:15:00 PM
KayOKiidd posted...
Tec187 posted...

ROFLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

omg trigger shut the f$$$ up do you even lift and ME2 was better then me1
---
I'm the backwards man the backwards man i can walk backwards as fast as you can!
Currently Playing: Borderlands 2, Skyrim, Halo 4, Dead Space1+2,Dark Souls
#40fat_irish_guyPosted 1/16/2013 8:18:55 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]