How viable would an Axton build be that DOESNT focus on the Turret?

#1Mister_VanillaPosted 1/21/2013 10:19:41 AM
What I am thinking is to put about 15 points in each tree.

Beef up shields and health, get kill skills, etc.

The only thing I dont care for with Axton is that everything seems to be about the turret. Can I focus on building AXTON instead?

/yeah yeah, I know I CAN. I want to know if it would work.

Ta!
#2fluffysplatPosted 1/21/2013 10:26:38 AM
Very viable.

http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=208146
---
XBox: AFSplat
#3gameslickerPosted 1/21/2013 10:48:35 AM
^ i agree with the above poster, it it possible and viable.

off topic, this is a first for me (someone using a character and not using their action skill). why wouldnt you want to use the turret? that is literally what separates axton from any other vault hunter in bl2. are you trying to make the game more challenging or you simply dont like it? not putting you down, very curious as to why you dont want to use a vital piece of gameplay
#4king_ortisPosted 1/21/2013 11:02:02 AM
A beast.
---
GT: KingOrtis
"Don't like me or my comments? Then GTFO..."
#5Mister_Vanilla(Topic Creator)Posted 1/21/2013 11:03:03 AM
gameslicker posted...

off topic, this is a first for me (someone using a character and not using their action skill). why wouldnt you want to use the turret? that is literally what separates axton from any other vault hunter in bl2. are you trying to make the game more challenging or you simply dont like it? not putting you down, very curious as to why you dont want to use a vital piece of gameplay

Honestly, it bores the hell out of me.

I press a button, make a sandwich, and everything is dead. Its TOO good.

I like Zero's action skill cause you have to go into every fight with a plan. Its proactive and strategic.
#6Argyle_GargoylePosted 1/21/2013 11:09:58 AM
gameslicker posted...

i think one of the things that puts people off about using axton is that they hear things and think that it is going to be the turret doing all the work. not really the case in my experience

the goal is to work in tandem with the turret to smash everything, not to let it do all of the work. take a skill like battlefront. extra damage while the turret is deployed (i believe up to %60). combine that with a turret that is slagging enemies for you so that you can focus on dealing major damage and you are a wrecking machine.

or allow the turret to get a kill for you when you have the bullet storm skill. then watch the turret try to keep up as you rain bullets down on everything.

use a longbow turret to set up a turret on the other side of the battlefield and attack enemies from both sides making cover useless.

theres a lot you can do. axton will be pretty boring if you plan to simply set up the turret and let it do all the work, but if you use it tactically and get a little creative with it, axton is great fun.

or you could just look up an explosives axton build TC which is really focused on axton
---
Crazy? Crazy with low prices on Wind Brahmin. You buy one!!
#7Argyle_GargoylePosted 1/21/2013 11:12:24 AM
Mister_Vanilla posted...
gameslicker posted...

I like Zero's action skill cause you have to go into every fight with a plan. Its proactive and strategic.

you're letting it be boring. if all you want to do is throw out a turret and let it win, you can, but why would you play like that? no wonder you are bored with him
---
#8Mister_Vanilla(Topic Creator)Posted 1/21/2013 11:23:34 AM
Argyle_Gargoyle posted...
Mister_Vanilla posted...
gameslicker posted...

you're letting it be boring. if all you want to do is throw out a turret and let it win, you can, but why would you play like that? no wonder you are bored with him

Thanks. I deleted/ restarted my Axton and will go in fresh. Im going to keep an open mind and use it the way you suggest.
#9Argyle_GargoylePosted 1/21/2013 11:54:22 AM
Mister_Vanilla posted...
Argyle_Gargoyle posted...
Mister_Vanilla posted...
gameslicker posted...

Thanks. I deleted/ restarted my Axton and will go in fresh. Im going to keep an open mind and use it the way you suggest.

he is a lot of fun solo IMO. the turret is great when you are getting overwhelmed. he has plenty of skills that improve axton. it sounds like you will enjoy the gunpowder (middle) tree. most of those skills are based around axton doing the heavy lifting.

no gaurantee that you will fall in love with using him this time, but hopefully it'll be a bit better. if not, then maybe switching to a different character is the best bet. not everybody is going to like everything after all. it could be that axton just isnt for you.

i recently hit 50 with zer0 and yeah, they are totally different. i enjoyed them both TBH. just gotta find the character that suits your playstyle best
---
#10Mister_Vanilla(Topic Creator)Posted 1/21/2013 3:19:59 PM
@AG^ ( too much to quote LOL)

What I have been doing so far, im now at level 10, was to not use the turret unless Im going to die.

Its interesting, to NOT really rely on an action skill. My R3 button is almost dead from deception meleeing. But once your mindset gets wrapped around the idea that "there is no help coming", you learn to really play it safe.

Its different from Zero, but I am really learning to enjoy it.

Thanks again :)