PSA: trade duping is not a thing.

#1Kpt_KapowskiPosted 1/26/2013 3:32:28 PM
You are either trading, or duping. By definition, the terms are mutually exclusive.

For example, if someone dupes you their collection and you do the same, it is not a trade dupe, as nothing is lost by either party, and therefore there is no trade. It is just duping.

Note: contrary to popular belief, I don't really care about duping. Sure, I personally consider it cheating, and think it completely defeats the point of the game, but that is irrelevant to this thread.

The purpose of this thread is to point out that "trade duping" is a contradiction in terms, and that if you wanna dupe, just do it. Don't try to legitimize it by calling it something else.
---
Green Bay Packers 2012: 12-6 :(
#2Feds950Posted 1/26/2013 3:33:12 PM
Whatever
#3R0880Posted 1/26/2013 3:45:30 PM
From Merriam Webster (definition of trade and trading):

1 obsolete : to have dealings : negotiate
2 a : to engage in the exchange, purchase, or sale of goods
b : to make one's purchases : shop <trades at his store>
3 : to give one thing in exchange for another
transitive verb
1 archaic : to do business with
2 a : to give in exchange for another commodity : barter; also : to make an exchange of <traded places>

Duping can clearly be a form or means of instigating trading, although they are not interchangeable terms. It involves an exchange (either of a dupe in return, or a service).

I myself say 'trade duping' or whatever, as a joke though :)

Also, I doubt people are trying to legitimise anything. They probably don't care what others think.
#4JojoforpresPosted 1/26/2013 3:45:48 PM
Cool story, I'm off to "trade-dupe" some Evil Smashers.
---
"Just grinned and shook my hand, 'No.' was all he said.", The Weight by Smith
#5capnovanPosted 1/26/2013 3:56:43 PM
It's too bad language and definitions are set and can never ever be altered.
---
You can take my Karma, but you'll never take......MY FREEDOM!
#6NateO81Posted 1/26/2013 4:11:22 PM
So...anyone wanna trade dupe or dupe trade?
#7Locke4382Posted 1/26/2013 4:16:28 PM
Copy Swap!
#8Steve0314Posted 1/26/2013 4:16:38 PM
Sooo...... What I'm getting from this post is.... Duping a Trading are the exact same thing. Cool. Got it. Thx for the info!
---
GT: Steve0314
#9Kpt_Kapowski(Topic Creator)Posted 1/26/2013 4:54:40 PM
R0880 posted...

transitive verb
2 a : to give in exchange for another commodity : barter; also : to make an exchange of <traded places>

Duping can clearly be a form or means of instigating trading, although they are not interchangeable terms. It involves an exchange (either of a dupe in return, or a service).

Also, I doubt people are trying to legitimise anything. They probably don't care what others think.

Next time you go grocery shopping, offer to dupe your money. See how the SS reacts. I'm sure they'll understand that duping (aka counterfeiting) is EXACTLY the same as trading (aka paying for services or goods with a form of currency that you don't keep).

Smh.
---
Green Bay Packers 2012: 12-6 :(
#10R0880Posted 1/26/2013 4:55:58 PM
Kpt_Kapowski posted...
R0880 posted...

transitive verb

Next time you go grocery shopping, offer to dupe your money. See how the SS reacts. I'm sure they'll understand that duping (aka counterfeiting) is EXACTLY the same as trading (aka paying for services or goods with a form of currency that you don't keep).

Smh.

Great analogy that that has no bearing whatsoever on the topic at hand, bro.

Gratz.