Loot Midgets (Jimmy Jenkins) only spawn when not in combat.

#1minimang123Posted 1/27/2013 3:11:12 AM
I was doing some Jimmy Jenkins farming (Playthrough 1: Doctors Orders is my only accepted sidequest, and I am in the minimal possible length into the corresponding story mission without getting any optional objectives), and I was opening the four characteristic boxes... if I open a box and it spawns a midget which I then kill prior to opening the next box, the next box will always contain a midget. If I lead a loader over to the area and stay in combat with that loader while I open all four boxes in sequence, I receive no midgets whatsoever.

So, my theory is that loot midgets can only spawn when you're not in combat. This has serious implications on all Jimmy Jenkins farming.

Also, I don't know if there are any easier locations for this kind of farming given this theory. If this is true, then not moving ahead in the story is ideal since force fields loom over each holding cell. If this is false and midget spawns are completely random, then maybe Thousand Cuts might also be a good alternative. Has anyone had similar experiences?
---
GT: minimang123
#2kiwimyweeweePosted 1/27/2013 3:15:36 AM
Loot midgets can definitely spawn in combat. Had a mini jet loader pop out of stalker goo while fighting some rabid stalkers last night. He immediately destroyed me with missles too and then flew away.
---
They're not going to say no because of the implication.
#3PanopictonguyPosted 1/27/2013 4:39:09 AM
I had Jimmy spawn at the entrance to the preserve after me & my team fought.our way through 3 Super Badass loaders....-_-
---
Oh, you thought they made this game for you? You clearly bought the wrong game.
#4RjmhartPosted 1/27/2013 5:44:23 AM
I used to use Drs Orders to farm Jimmy for people. I would get him in game, and then invite so they could kill him. I noticed when people would join and leave a toon over near the vending machine (presumably to level the toon), there would enemies spawning near the toon, and the boxes wouldn't work. I also had someone run ahead while I was still killing everything in the field with the badass loader, and the boxes didn't work. After that, I stopped letting people join, and always killed everything before trying the boxes.

That aside, I noticed a much higher spawn rate for Jimmy himself in 2.5. Which means you have to kill the 2 badass skags.

Then we got the CC patch which for no apparent reason made Drs Orders less effective.

TC, I have gotten Jenkins in Opportunity, and there were enemies nearby. It took me roughly 3 hours. If killing all enemies does increase spawn rates, that would be an excellent place to test it...
---
Psn: big_bob002
#5minimang123(Topic Creator)Posted 1/27/2013 9:49:38 AM
Well I just opened two boxes sequentially while the first loot midget was alive, and sure enough the second one still spawned. Adding this to the evidence of the group, my hypothesis was indeed wrong. I wonder what determines whether these boxes work, though.
---
GT: minimang123
#6MayhemersPosted 1/27/2013 10:45:41 AM
Yeah, my brother has opened all four boxes in one go before (he didn't listen to me), and all four spawned loot midgets. Thankfully our Storm Front grenades absolutely nuked them quickly.
---
Lie with passion and be forever damned...