I'm all for duping and exploits, but...

#1SuprSaiyanRockrPosted 2/1/2013 2:17:41 AM
What's the point of powerlevelling? I don't really get it, myself.
---
GT/PSN: SuprSaiyanRockr
Efficiency>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Nostalgia. Always.
#2kiwimyweeweePosted 2/1/2013 2:21:04 AM
It's the same thing with duping. Just trying to skip things you can do normally but faster.
---
They're not going to say no because of the implication.
#3fakesnoop77Posted 2/1/2013 2:32:36 AM
Here's my take on things.

Powerleveling - Don't agree with it. Why pay 40/$60 just to 'boost up' to take on raid bosses. This turns a game in to nothing more than an item gathering dust on a shelf or a coaster to put a drink on.

Duping - Honestly, this does not bother me at all now. In BL1 I was guilty of duping Pearls all the time just for pleasure and the respect of other gamers. Then I realised I was being stupid, selfish and nobody actually respected me, they just came to expect it. So I stopped. It goes on all the time in BL1 and 2 and as much as we complain about it, it'll never stop. We just have to live with it. If I play with friends and an item drops which we need then I have no problem with an odd dupe at all. I don't agree with mass duping i.e spewing all your loot to a random. That is just wrong.

Glitching/Exploits - I find it cool that people found these things like the Evil Smasher glitch, Treasure Room glitch etc. I don't do the Evil glitch to be honest because it ruins the game for me. It's no fun running round and with a glitched Infinity. Spoils the fun. With the Treasure Room glitch it's 50/50 if I decide to do it. Done it a few times but it takes too long to do. I can beat Pete legit in the same time it would take to glitch in to the Treasure Room.
---
In pitch dark I go walking in your landscape.
#4SuprSaiyanRockr(Topic Creator)Posted 2/1/2013 2:48:38 AM
kiwimyweewee posted...
It's the same thing with duping. Just trying to skip things you can do normally but faster.

True, but I find there's a bit of a difference. With duping, the only thing you're skipping is (potentially) hours of farming. Levelling, however, comes standard with regular play, and you can still have fun playing while levelling up. So, to me, powerlevelling seems redundant.

The only thing I can think of is if someone reeeeally doesn't like playing as a character, but they want to get the achievement for using them.
---
#5SuprSaiyanRockr(Topic Creator)Posted 2/1/2013 2:53:31 AM
fakesnoop77 posted...
Here's my take on things.

Powerleveling - Don't agree with it. Why pay 40/$60 just to 'boost up' to take on raid bosses. This turns a game in to nothing more than an item gathering dust on a shelf or a coaster to put a drink on.

Duping - Honestly, this does not bother me at all now. In BL1 I was guilty of duping Pearls all the time just for pleasure and the respect of other gamers. Then I realised I was being stupid, selfish and nobody actually respected me, they just came to expect it. So I stopped. It goes on all the time in BL1 and 2 and as much as we complain about it, it'll never stop. We just have to live with it. If I play with friends and an item drops which we need then I have no problem with an odd dupe at all. I don't agree with mass duping i.e spewing all your loot to a random. That is just wrong.

Glitching/Exploits - I find it cool that people found these things like the Evil Smasher glitch, Treasure Room glitch etc. I don't do the Evil glitch to be honest because it ruins the game for me. It's no fun running round and with a glitched Infinity. Spoils the fun. With the Treasure Room glitch it's 50/50 if I decide to do it. Done it a few times but it takes too long to do. I can beat Pete legit in the same time it would take to glitch in to the Treasure Room.

I respect that. Nice to see someone who doesn't like that stuff but doesn't use that opinion to troll people.
---
#6kiwimyweeweePosted 2/1/2013 3:28:53 AM(edited)
SuprSaiyanRockr posted...
kiwimyweewee posted...

True, but I find there's a bit of a difference. With duping, the only thing you're skipping is (potentially) hours of farming. Levelling, however, comes standard with regular play, and you can still have fun playing while levelling up. So, to me, powerlevelling seems redundant.

The only thing I can think of is if someone reeeeally doesn't like playing as a character, but they want to get the achievement for using them.

The main purpose I believe is blasting through the game and getting to 2.5 asap.
---
They're not going to say no because of the implication.
#7PanopictonguyPosted 2/1/2013 4:36:53 AM
kiwimyweewee posted...
SuprSaiyanRockr posted...
kiwimyweewee posted...

The main purpose I believe is blasting through the game and getting to 2.5 asap.

Or to be able to use all the duped gear you got. What I don't get is why use any of it. I see out like this.

PT 1 - Normal mode for casual players. You can finish 99% of the quest, see the ending, and out level the enemies and feel like a badass. All legendaries can still be acquired. You only miss out on raid bosses (only 2 actually).

PT 2 - Hard mode for more invested players. If you wanna take the game to another level keep on pushing to the 2nd conclusion. EXACTLY the same as PT 1 except with an additional Easter Egg & different resistance calc.

PT 2.5 - hardcore mode for the devoted players. You didn't feel challenged enough when you can out level the enemies. Now everything is on equal footing with you and you can hunt max level gear to challenge all the enemies who are now your equals. As an additional bonus you're now at the level to challenge raid bosses with a group of friends

Now my thing is what's the point of short cutting to the hardcore level of the game if you don't wanna be hardcore. If you wanna be OP that's easy as hell in PT1. If you have time to devotee to certain hardcore elemental why even bother with them? Just because an option is there doesn't mean you have to or forced to use it. Gearbox gives incentives for going the extra mile. But if you have to much of a life to grind and max out your gear, level, and skill why even bother with that level of content?

TL;DR: PLAY HOW YOU WANT. But why increase the difficulty if you just wanna be OP asap?
---
Oh, you thought they made this game for you? You clearly bought the wrong game.
#8AngryOldFeralPosted 2/1/2013 4:16:37 PM
Because frankly, once you've played the main storyline once, it's pretty damned boring. It's linear as hell, and once you've experienced all the plot-twists and other stuff there isn't much of a reason to take your time and continue doing it for the other characters.

It's not like a normal free-roaming action RPG (though I hate to make the comparison, but say Fallout 3/NV or Oblivion/Skyrim) where the choices you make effect the outcome of the story. You essentially have the same thing happening every playthrough, so that build-up and grinding of experience becomes less of a "Well, let's see how the game turns out if I play as (character) and do THIS!" and more of a chore.

So, some folks opt to skip it and get to PT2.5 as soon as possible.
---
Smoking Ghost / Feral Manx
Proud Outcast of Capcom Unity
#9imjinxed13Posted 2/1/2013 4:59:16 PM
fakesnoop77 posted...
If I play with friends and an item drops which we need then I have no problem with an odd dupe at all. I don't agree with mass duping i.e spewing all your loot to a random. That is just wrong.

agreed...

also, if i find something really awesome i usually copy it for all my characters... mostly because i hate randomness in getting items from enemies...