Gearbox: Masters of Patching

#1SlumberMindPosted 2/5/2013 2:25:36 PM
I believe most of these have been addressed in patches.
-Autosave freezing, NOT fixed.
-Badass rank reset, NOT fixed.
-Graveyard SAV, fixed (although it was utter stupidity to leave the code in the released version)
-Mechro head multiplayer issue, NOT fixed.
-Bee nerf multi-pellet issue, NOT fixed.

I believe it costs money to patch games on 360 so are Gearbox just wasting money?
#2megaddtdPosted 2/5/2013 2:32:32 PM
They haven't released that many big patches. Most of them have been hotfixes which are downloaded fromt he game server, not MS's servers, and are stored in temp memory until you restart the game.
#3TsurukePosted 2/5/2013 3:01:44 PM
SlumberMind posted...
I believe most of these have been addressed in patches.
-Autosave freezing, NOT fixed.
-Badass rank reset, NOT fixed.
-Graveyard SAV, fixed (although it was utter stupidity to leave the code in the released version)
-Mechro head multiplayer issue, NOT fixed.
-Bee nerf multi-pellet issue, NOT fixed.

I believe it costs money to patch games on 360 so are Gearbox just wasting money?

Keep in mind it they have to go through BILLIONS of lines of code, its not as easy as some might think to patch certain things. But yes that is why they have "Hot fixes" in place to temporarily bypass the "patch fees" Microsoft have in place. Meanwhile they can get together an official one so users can play offline with the patches.

As far the Graveyard. They were thinking of having a hardcore more "1 Life per character". I personally think that would have been fun and challenging.
---
XBL GT/PSN: Tsuruke.
#4SlumberMind(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 3:08:26 PM
megaddtd posted...
They haven't released that many big patches. Most of them have been hotfixes which are downloaded fromt he game server, not MS's servers, and are stored in temp memory until you restart the game.

I think they have released 3 or 4, 2 of which did not fix anything (BAR and autosave freeze) and 1 which actually broke the game (Bee nerf/multi-pellet).
#5TwilightEchoesPosted 2/5/2013 3:16:11 PM
Wait...

You say they are the masters of patching in the title, but all you do is berate and criticize them here... What are you trying to pull, sir? p_0
---
[Insert an "[Insert witty saying or joke]" sig here]
#6PensatoPosted 2/5/2013 3:18:14 PM(edited)
Tsuruke posted...
Keep in mind it they have to go through BILLIONS of lines of code, its not as easy as some might think to patch certain things.

They don't have billions of lines of code. There's a lot yeh, but don't over exaggerate it in order to defend Gearbox's half *** coding. The programmers should know their code well enough to fix what they got wrong in a timely manner and they sure as hell should know to take out broken code they put in before release. You act like they are the only company that's ever programmed a game before.

This game is one of the most poorly coded software ever released.
#7SahuaginPosted 2/5/2013 3:27:12 PM
Pensato posted...
Tsuruke posted...
Keep in mind it they have to go through BILLIONS of lines of code, its not as easy as some might think to patch certain things.

They don't have billions of lines of code. There's a lot yeh, but don't over exaggerate it in order to defend Gearbox's half *** coding. The programmers should know their code well enough to fix what they got wrong in a timely manner and they sure as hell should know to take out broken code they put in before release. You act like they are the only company that's ever programmed a game before.

Issues around patching are almost definitely management related, not programmer related. Management has to authorize your work before your team can spend X hundreds or thousands of dollars fixing something.

lmao. Way to completely destroy the tiny bit of credibility you might have had.
---
Atheism is merely a consequence of having intellectual honesty.
http://www.temple-of-lore.com/recentspoilers/crimson_coast/undead_sahuagin.jpg
#8PensatoPosted 2/5/2013 3:40:00 PM
Sahuagin posted...
Pensato posted...
Tsuruke posted...

Issues around patching are almost definitely management related, not programmer related. Management has to authorize your work before your team can spend X hundreds or thousands of dollars fixing something.

lmao. Way to completely destroy the tiny bit of credibility you might have had.

Because only games made by Gearbox have management. All the other countless games and software released without major bugs/glitchs on the level that Borderlands 2 has has 0 management. You're the one that has no credibility because you don't know wtf you're talking about.

But go ahead. Prove me wrong. Write up a Method of code for me to look at or stfu.
#9HappyHappyJoyJoyPosted 2/5/2013 3:44:45 PM
Pensato posted...
They don't have billions of lines of code. There's a lot yeh, but don't over exaggerate [...]

Welcome class! The sole question for today's exam is as follows:

Is the above quote an example of:
(a) Irony
(b) Hypocrisy
(c) All of the Above
---
http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo230/Notveryhappy/FoxNewsBrianWilson.jpg
#10BigSai29Posted 2/5/2013 3:46:40 PM
(d) none of the above