Gearbox: Masters of Patching

#11TsurukePosted 2/5/2013 3:49:22 PM(edited)
Pensato posted...
Tsuruke posted...
Keep in mind it they have to go through BILLIONS of lines of code, its not as easy as some might think to patch certain things.

They don't have billions of lines of code. There's a lot yeh, but don't over exaggerate it in order to defend Gearbox's half *** coding. The programmers should know their code well enough to fix what they got wrong in a timely manner and they sure as hell should know to take out broken code they put in before release. You act like they are the only company that's ever programmed a game before.

This game is one of the most poorly coded software ever released.

Ok maybe the general amount can't be verified, But I'll have you know there are programs out there for simple functions that have few hundred lines of code. judging from that, neither of us can't assume how much lines of code they have. Maybe I should have said anywhere from Thousands to Millions or a Billion lines of code. But as a programmer (as a hobby and some contractor work) I can tell you its more difficult with certain variables the amount of lines of code, user generated reports, error codes, cross referencing, etc...

So actually no I don't act like they are the only company that's ever programmed a game before. I speak based of experience and speculation.
---
XBL GT/PSN: Tsuruke.
#12SlumberMind(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 3:53:01 PM(edited)
TwilightEchoes posted...
Wait...

You say they are the masters of patching in the title, but all you do is berate and criticize them here... What are you trying to pull, sir? p_0

At the current rate of patching and hotfixing (roughly every 3 weeks on average) they should be getting very good at it. Practice makes perfect.
Don't get me wrong I loved both games I'm just getting more and more disillusioned with Gearbox.
The cynic in me is seeing worrying signs.
#13PensatoPosted 2/5/2013 3:55:49 PM
Tsuruke posted...
Pensato posted...
Tsuruke posted...
Keep in mind it they have to go through BILLIONS of lines of code, its not as easy as some might think to patch certain things.

They don't have billions of lines of code. There's a lot yeh, but don't over exaggerate it in order to defend Gearbox's half *** coding. The programmers should know their code well enough to fix what they got wrong in a timely manner and they sure as hell should know to take out broken code they put in before release. You act like they are the only company that's ever programmed a game before.

Ok maybe the general amount can't be verified, But I'll have you know there are programs out there for simple functions that have few hundred lines of code. judging from that, neither of us can't assume how much lines of code they have. Maybe I should have said anywhere from Thousands to Millions or a Billion lines of code. But as a programmer (as a hobby and some contractor work) I can tell you its more difficult with certain variables the amount of lines of code, user generated reports, error codes, cross referencing, etc...

So actually no I don't act like they are the only company that's ever programmed a game before. I speak based of experience and speculation.

My simple point was you were exaggerating. If you are a programmer then you know as well as I do that most bugs and glitches are from simple mistakes such as bad spilling or poor formatting/notes. You also know the code you've written (unless you're really bad at coding) well enough to figure out the major issues going on.

Write me a simple method of code.
#14TsurukePosted 2/5/2013 4:03:27 PM
Pensato posted...
Tsuruke posted...
Pensato posted...
Tsuruke posted...

My simple point was you were exaggerating. If you are a programmer then you know as well as I do that most bugs and glitches are from simple mistakes such as bad spilling or poor formatting/notes. You also know the code you've written (unless you're really bad at coding) well enough to figure out the major issues going on.

Write me a simple method of code.

Maybe I did, maybe I didn't we can never know since they will not confirm the amount.
I understood your point. I agree with you in that paragraph you typed. However, my point was it gets more difficult to create a patch in a timely manner with different variables such as improper user generated reports (lack of details), error codes, cross referencing lines of code with error reports, etc.. and gets more difficult the more lines of code you have written. Programing tools these days are alot more user friends (compared to the ones back in the day when if you had a syntax in hundreds of line of code....without a search function...) so its easier now to fix bugs, but gets more difficult in a timely manner depending on the amount of code you have written.
---
XBL GT/PSN: Tsuruke.
#15TheismosPosted 2/5/2013 4:09:08 PM
Pensato posted...
Tsuruke posted...

Looks like you're over exaggerating a bit there yourself. Did you ever figure out what hyperbole meant or is that one still stumping you?
#16TsurukePosted 2/5/2013 4:15:16 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#17demonwithinPosted 2/5/2013 4:14:36 PM
SlumberMind posted...
TwilightEchoes posted...
Wait...

You say they are the masters of patching in the title, but all you do is berate and criticize them here... What are you trying to pull, sir? p_0

At the current rate of patching and hotfixing (roughly every 3 weeks on average) they should be getting very good at it. Practice makes perfect.
Don't get me wrong I loved both games I'm just getting more and more disillusioned with Gearbox.
The cynic in me is seeing worrying signs.

Patching takes time and resources(manpower and money primarily) and with them about to put 'Aliens: Colonial Marines" that might have factored in. More concerning to me how long it's taking them to implement a level cap increase and the decision to greatly reduce bank space compared to the first game.

In regards to what Slumber said, I worry about what they are doing with DLC, specifically. Think it was kinda crappy to 1.) Charge for skins and 2.) Not giving a price break to SEASON PASS holders.
It just seems for everything they do to create goodwill, there are 3 or 4 things they do that annoy/anger me.
---
"You think I'm Vicious?! YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT VICIOUS IS!!!!!!!!" Spike Spiegel
#18TheismosPosted 2/5/2013 4:14:46 PM
#19TsurukePosted 2/5/2013 4:19:35 PM
#20TheismosPosted 2/5/2013 4:19:54 PM