Gearbox: Masters of Patching

#21Robtcee13Posted 2/5/2013 4:22:34 PM
Does nobody here know that the PC version doesn't actually have these problems? This game was more focused on PC, Gearbox didn't really care as much about the console version. That's why you're having problems. If you don't like it, well, welcome to how PC gamers have felt the past decade or so.
---
If you think my name is silly, you should call me either Rob or LaughingThesaurus.
No need for being strictly formal on a message board, right?
#22TsurukePosted 2/5/2013 4:26:38 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#23TheismosPosted 2/5/2013 4:27:13 PM(edited)
You're aware that my quote was of HIS comment, not yours, correct? And then you start with the smug comments in response, totally in error.
#24TsurukePosted 2/5/2013 4:27:56 PM
Theismos posted...
You're aware that my quote was of HIS comment, not yours, correct? And then you start with the smug comments in response, totally in error.

Ah, lol my mistake. Quote deleted as I misread and misunderstood.
my apologizes.
---
XBL GT/PSN: Tsuruke.
#25RinglercorpPosted 2/5/2013 4:54:46 PM
Tsuruke posted...
Theismos posted...

my apologizes.

Hug it out guys. Hug it out.
---
NOPE! It's just Chuck Testa.
#26PanopictonguyPosted 2/5/2013 4:54:55 PM
Sahuagin posted...
Pensato posted...
Tsuruke posted...
Keep in mind it they have to go through BILLIONS of lines of code, its not as easy as some might think to patch certain things.

They don't have billions of lines of code. There's a lot yeh, but don't over exaggerate it in order to defend Gearbox's half *** coding. The programmers should know their code well enough to fix what they got wrong in a timely manner and they sure as hell should know to take out broken code they put in before release. You act like they are the only company that's ever programmed a game before.

Issues around patching are almost definitely management related, not programmer related. Management has to authorize your work before your team can spend X hundreds or thousands of dollars fixing something.

This game is one of the most poorly coded software ever released.

lmao. Way to completely destroy the tiny bit of credibility you might have had.

He created and programmed this game.
---
Oh, you thought they made this game for you? You clearly bought the wrong game.
#27TsurukePosted 2/5/2013 5:03:19 PM
Ringlercorp posted...
Tsuruke posted...
Theismos posted...

my apologizes.

Hug it out guys. Hug it out.

LOL, agreed. Funny what a simple misread text can turn a situation -- alas, if I am in the wrong, I will always admit to it and apologize.

Glad it worked out. :p
---
#28PensatoPosted 2/5/2013 5:19:03 PM(edited)
Theismos posted...
Looks like you're over exaggerating a bit there yourself. Did you ever figure out what hyperbole meant or is that one still stumping you?

Before questioning someone's intelligence, you need to show some first. Start by learning how to understand simple sarcasm.

Since I know writing a simple Method is beyond you, I'll ask for a simple way for you to prove your point. What piece of professorial AAA software written in the last ten years is more buggy and glitchy than BL2.

BL2 is so poorly coded that Gearbox has had to fully acknowledge how buggy their game is. It's so bad that ChrisF has had to write up instructions on how to avoid the countless bugs and glitches in their tech forums. He even has a write up on how to work around some of the many game breaking bugs the game has if they happen to you.

But thanks for proving how idiotic fan boys are.

Robtcee13 posted...
Does nobody here know that the PC version doesn't actually have these problems? This game was more focused on PC, Gearbox didn't really care as much about the console version. That's why you're having problems. If you don't like it, well, welcome to how PC gamers have felt the past decade or so.

PC gets patches faster than consoles because there's no certification process for it. It has nothing to do with it being developed for PC over consoles. In fact, the menu for BL2 shows Gearbox had consoles more in mind than PC. The game also has all the same bugs on PC as consoles do.

If anything, Gearbox at least did a solid job of porting compared to other companies.

Tsuruke posted...
Maybe I did, maybe I didn't we can never know since they will not confirm the amount

I don't think you understand how big a number billions is.

You're also ignoring the fact that you don't have to write as much code for a game developed on a game engine as you do for a game that is developed on a framework. BL2 was developed on an engine.

Robtcee13 posted...
Programing tools these days are alot more user friends (compared to the ones back in the day when if you had a syntax in hundreds of line of code....without a search function...) so its easier now to fix bugs, but gets more difficult in a timely manner depending on the amount of code you have written

As for deadlines, that's different for every project and company. However, my deadlines on games have always been much more slack than the deadlines I had at Microsoft.

Where's my Method btw.

Panopictonguy posted...
He created and programmed this game.

Coming from a guy who doesn't understand 1+1=2.

Prove me wrong. Write me a simple program that can do that for you.
#29TsurukePosted 2/5/2013 5:24:35 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#30TsurukePosted 2/5/2013 5:34:39 PM(edited)
Pensato posted...
Tsuruke posted...
Maybe I did, maybe I didn't we can never know since they will not confirm the amount

I don't think you understand how big a number billions is.
You're also ignoring the fact that you don't have to write as much code for a game developed on a game engine as you do for a game that is developed on a framework. BL2 was developed on an engine.

I have not ignored anything as I know how engines work. Engines have lines of code in it as well, that can also cause conflicting issues with patches. So my generalized number of "Billions" wasn't so far-fetched and not toward specifically to Gearbox developers, but falls under the developers whom contributed in creating this game. Alas, I addressed the whole "amount" issue prior to that post you just quoted yet you are stuck on that to realized I have made my point.

If you would so kindly, go back and re-read my posts.

TL;DR:

Tsuruke posted...
Maybe I should have said anywhere from Thousands to Millions or a Billion lines of code.

Tsuruke posted...
However, my point was it gets more difficult to create a patch in a timely manner with different variables such as improper user generated reports (lack of details), error codes, cross referencing lines of code with error reports, etc.. and gets more difficult the more lines of code you have written.

---