Level Cap increase could "break the game. Sometimes very literally."

#11AlleRacingPosted 2/8/2013 10:10:46 AM
And he mentions at the end that only 16% of BL2 players actually reached level 50. Really? That really surprised me.

Doesn't surprise me at all. There are a lot of casual players out there who only do one playthrough or not even. I have multiple level 50s across two systems, so do a couple buddies of mine, as well as one who doesn't even own the game and only plays it with us when we get together.

However, that's a s***ty excuse to not increase the cap, and Randy knows it. He knows that is actually a pretty realistic number of people who've capped out, and hiding behind it with the ruse of waiting for more people to catch up before leaving them behind is a cop out.
---
http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8325/scrunchface2copyfx0.png
http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/default/alle5.jpg
#12Stormkid5Posted 2/8/2013 11:53:36 AM
Hey Tot, when'd you leave DD and come here? Looking foward to DD:DA?

Also, I'd be fairly annoyed if a level cap increase didn't come, but I could probably live without it
---
//NVBM//
Everything above is opinion unless otherwise stated as fact
#13Darkest_EvilPosted 2/8/2013 12:02:09 PM
how to raise the cap without breaking the game due to lag and limitations
bring the levels up to 69 and put the enemies up to 69-72

dont give any more skill points but give us higher level guns that match the damage of the new level enemies

give us play through 3 for this to happen since theres a mode already locked in the game
next increase the legendary drops once this is beat by a great margin

problem solved
---
http://castleminerz.freeforums.org/index.php
#14kylekillgannonPosted 2/8/2013 12:08:12 PM
drj898 posted...
The whole thing with the Pitchford interview was honesty. .

He was as honest as Handsome Jack in that interview, at best.
---
History is written by those who have hanged heroes.
#15AngryOldFeralPosted 2/8/2013 12:18:18 PM
If they're not going to add a level-cap increase, they should make up for it by adding more and more weapon-parts variety into the core gun mechanics. Multiple barrels/frames/magazines/grips/stocks/scopes for each manufacturer. The loot system in this game is boring, and the unique/legendaries are also somewhat limited or outright dumb and not worth using (Tattler, anyone?)

The point of the game is to collect new and exotic loot and level up. If you're going to cut out one, you need to expand on the other.
---
Smoking Ghost / Feral Manx
Proud Outcast of Capcom Unity
#16kiwimyweeweePosted 2/8/2013 12:20:55 PM
AngryOldFeral posted...
If they're not going to add a level-cap increase, they should make up for it by adding more and more weapon-parts variety into the core gun mechanics. Multiple barrels/frames/magazines/grips/stocks/scopes for each manufacturer. The loot system in this game is boring, and the unique/legendaries are also somewhat limited or outright dumb and not worth using (Tattler, anyone?)

The point of the game is to collect new and exotic loot and level up. If you're going to cut out one, you need to expand on the other.

I like you.
---
They're not going to say no because of the implication.
#17AngryOldFeralPosted 2/8/2013 12:33:01 PM
kiwimyweewee posted...
AngryOldFeral posted...

I like you.

Thanks. Not many folks do on this board, mainly due to being a flamboyant douchebag and very vocal on my opinions of Gearbox's workmanship on this game back when it was full of bugs that kept wrecking my characters or wiping out my heads/skins. :P

But in all seriousness, anyone can look at the gun components in BL1 and tell that BL2's is the "abridged version" of a once-great random loot system.

http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=120616 (BL1 parts list)

Not to mention BL2's missing two weapons manufacturers (S&S and Atlas)
---
Smoking Ghost / Feral Manx
Proud Outcast of Capcom Unity
#18squiggy9996999Posted 2/8/2013 12:50:10 PM
"how to raise the cap without breaking the game due to lag and limitations
bring the levels up to 69 and put the enemies up to 69-72"

lmao. you win "dumbest post" of the day s far - and that's saying a lot today. :P
#19spfurm01Posted 2/8/2013 1:07:26 PM
http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=227999

Somewhat relevant (although his calculation that he provides at the very beginning is a typo, I believe the rate of change should be 1.129795151 instead of 1.29795151, if you read through the calculations it makes more sense and scales to weapons better).

Basically, stats in this game grow exponentially. Guns at level 60 will be dealing nearly 3 times what they do at 50, and it gets even worse as you go beyond that point. Enemies' health grows at a faster rate (it's been calculated to be about 1.15^X) than the player's (calculated to about 1.13^X), likely this difference is meant to be offset by skills. At level 60 enemies will have about 2.8-3 times the health of a player, assuming they have the same base health.

More levels = more disparity between us and enemies, as well as more disparity between guns of different qualities. There's a ~3700 damage difference between the most stripped down versions of Purple and White level 50 bandit pistols. At level 60 this will be even bigger, roughly a 12000 damage difference.

Gear calculations will have to completely change if they want to attempt to keep the game somewhat balanced, because from a numerical perspective, increasing the level cap and leaving things as they are will break the game. Very literally.
---
We know Gavorn's tricks! We leave!
#20kiwimyweeweePosted 2/8/2013 1:35:02 PM
^That was an interesting read. Thanks for posting that. Seems like they would actually have to overhaul the whole game to actually raise the cap.

At this point better safe then sorry. There is already enough broken things in this game.

Going to stick with feral and just overhaul the loot system instead. Toss s&s and atlas back in too.

Yes, I know atlas is gone.
---
They're not going to say no because of the implication.