Level Cap Interview

#21JacquardPosted 2/7/2013 2:59:13 PM
I don't have any skin in the game either way, but the tldr version of that interview sounded like, We don't know where the story ends, we're in the middle of it, but don't expect a new level cap because yada yada yada.

In their defense, raising the level cap will present enormous challenges, as Pitchford stated, and will frustrate those players who have spent literally hundreds of hours legitimately acquiring level 50 gear, only to find that 2 or 3 levels later it is useless. Sure, it can be passed on to another, lower level character, but my sense is that while 16%, as of December, of the community have at least one level 50 character, maybe a hardcore 5% have the time and inclination to have more than one.

Bottom line is that they teased us with a level cap increase, and they know it, so one will probably be implemented, eventually. Break out the combines and harvesters.
#22snakenamedjoePosted 2/7/2013 3:07:49 PM
I also don't agree with what he says about game balance. I don't think this game is well balanced at all. Try beating true vault hunter mode with a L46 character, and you'll see what I mean. What's worse, you can't even get equipment for your character if you're underleveled.

I just beat true vault hunter mode with a L42 Zero, and it was ridiculously hard. Next to impossible. Because no one sells L42 gear, I am stuck using gear from back when I got behind the game. My equipment is all L30, (I have one L37 legendary gun) and I can't get upgrades until I hit level 50. How is that balanced? But because I got behind, getting caught up without cheating is next to impossible, because killing even normal enemies with the crap equipment I have at my level is very difficult.

In contrast, beating the game with a L50 zero, even with average run of the mill equipment, is a joke. No difficulty at all. That's why I did a 2nd playthrough where I was careful not to get overleveled. You cannot find a good balance.

I say just up the level cap and let people have fun playing with their game breaking skill combos. That's your reward for spending all that time getting your character up that high. If you find it boring, stop playing.

If you're looking for a balanced playthrough, just go through the game once, then play the DLC on true vaulthunter mode. It will scale to your level, and you'll have some fairly balanced play in the DLC at least. If you just want to have fun seeing how bad you can wreck everything, play the 2nd playthrough and get those game breaking skill combos.
---
Leprechaun - "Blasted Nemesis! He's always after me lucky charms!"
Nemesis - "S.T.A.R.S....."
#23MrImpatient35(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2013 3:16:31 PM
Jacquard posted...
I don't have any skin in the game either way, but the tldr version of that interview sounded like, We don't know where the story ends, we're in the middle of it, but don't expect a new level cap because yada yada yada.

In their defense, raising the level cap will present enormous challenges, as Pitchford stated, and will frustrate those players who have spent literally hundreds of hours legitimately acquiring level 50 gear, only to find that 2 or 3 levels later it is useless. Sure, it can be passed on to another, lower level character, but my sense is that while 16%, as of December, of the community have at least one level 50 character, maybe a hardcore 5% have the time and inclination to have more than one.

Bottom line is that they teased us with a level cap increase, and they know it, so one will probably be implemented, eventually. Break out the combines and harvesters.

In that case, I was hoping that they would have some kind of way to level up the weapons/gear you already have. Because it would so annoying and frustrating if people had to farm for the same gear again. So if they do decide to increase the level cap, they DEFINITELY should have a way to increase to weapon/gear level without needing to farm for it again.
---
I have Dysarthria. It's a Speech problem. Your question is answered now.
#24SuprSaiyanRockrPosted 2/7/2013 3:16:37 PM
shnangyboos posted...
I don't understand all this hate towards an increase, and more importantly, people who want an increase. It's like complaining about them adding guns because there are already plenty of guns, and insulting the people who want them.

This.

In any case, the cap increase was announced for March, so it seems they got some bugs worked out, at least.
---
GT/PSN: SuprSaiyanRockr
Efficiency>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Nostalgia. Always.
#25SuprSaiyanRockrPosted 2/7/2013 3:20:17 PM
Jacquard posted...

I think the problem is their decision to use geometric progression in stats.

As in, there's a bigger difference between a level 48 weapon and a level 50 weapon in BL2 than there was in BL1.

As Randy said, they kinda dug their own grave on that one.
---
#26snakenamedjoePosted 2/7/2013 3:20:39 PM

In that case, I was hoping that they would have some kind of way to level up the weapons/gear you already have. Because it would so annoying and frustrating if people had to farm for the same gear again. So if they do decide to increase the level cap, they DEFINITELY should have a way to increase to weapon/gear level without needing to farm for it again.

Someone was telling me the other day that they were planning on having a gunsmith, who would increase the levels of your weapons in exchange for eridium. I haven't seen anything about this myself, I just had a friend who mentioned it to me, so I can't vouch for the validity of the info.
---
Leprechaun - "Blasted Nemesis! He's always after me lucky charms!"
Nemesis - "S.T.A.R.S....."
#27MrImpatient35(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2013 3:20:39 PM
SuprSaiyanRockr posted...
shnangyboos posted...
I don't understand all this hate towards an increase, and more importantly, people who want an increase. It's like complaining about them adding guns because there are already plenty of guns, and insulting the people who want them.

This.

In any case, the cap increase was announced for March, so it seems they got some bugs worked out, at least.

Yet another reason why I EXPECT a level cap increase. The achievement that implies that an increase is coming, and the two posts I've seen on here that say that a level cap increase is confirmed for March. So I don't understand why there's so much heat/hate for people like me. I want it, mainly because I expected it to happen (the achievement).
---
I have Dysarthria. It's a Speech problem. Your question is answered now.
#28SuprSaiyanRockrPosted 2/7/2013 3:22:20 PM
and1ballr posted...
SuprSaiyanRockr posted...
shnangyboos posted...

This.

Yet another reason why I EXPECT a level cap increase. The achievement that implies that an increase is coming, and the two posts I've seen on here that say that a level cap increase is confirmed for March. So I don't understand why there's so much heat/hate for people like me. I want it, mainly because I expected it to happen (the achievement).

To be fair, there have been a lot of 'no cap increase? NO PLAY' posts upon the release of each dlc.
---
#29JacquardPosted 2/7/2013 3:25:14 PM
and1ballr posted...

Agreed. That would be an excellent solution.
#30PanopictonguyPosted 2/7/2013 3:26:14 PM
shnangyboos posted...

There's hate?

You sure it's not people complaining because there's not enough guns. Saying they'll stop playing unless gearbox adds 5 more guns. Then normal people get annoyed and say shut up.
---
Oh, you thought they made this game for you? You clearly bought the wrong game.