The curse of RROD

#1fakesnoop77Posted 2/21/2013 1:39:09 AM
Due to mammoth BL sessions recently, my beloved Xbox has finally closed it's disc try for the last time and has taken prisoner of the only game I truly care about. (Basically it's f***** and I can't get the disc back out)

So this is kind of BL related; -

I had the older version of the 360 with the original hard drive attached. My wife is off out now to purchase me a new 'slim' 360 and new copy of Borderlands 2.

How will I be able to transfer all the data from my old hard drive to my new 'slim' hard drive? Is it even possible?

Any help/advice welcome fellow looters!
---
Fitter, happier, more productive, like a pig in a cage on antibiotics
#2JagorosPosted 2/21/2013 1:45:38 AM
Yes, it is possible. I had the exact same thing happen to me. There is a data cable specifically made for transferring data from the old HD to the new slim. You should be able to find it at most electronic stores. There is also a video on youtube that will show you how to mod your old hd to make it fit in the new xbox, but I wouldn't recommend it.

My suggestion... and you didn't hear this from me. Is to find a gamestop. Ask them for a used transfer cable. It is gamestops policy to accept returns on used merchandise within a short period of time (7 days maybe?) Open the plastic bag nicely, use your cable. Return the cable. No sense in Microsoft getting another 20 bucks out of you when you all ready have to shell out another 2-300$ on a new system.

BUT YOU DID NOT HEAR THAT FROM ME.
---
~Jagoros
Madness takes it's toll. Please have exact change ready.
#3Azrael0206Posted 2/21/2013 1:45:44 AM
Yes, make sure to get a data transfer cable.
The new hard drives are a different format, and you need this adapter to transfer the old data (including your profile) into the new HDD.
They arent much, maybe 25 usd?
---
Assistant Manager at Foveroula and Acid's Pawn Shop
Pokemon Black FC: 2709 5858 9913
#4Azrael0206Posted 2/21/2013 1:48:57 AM
Also,
If you're dead set on giving up on the old console.
Why buy another copy of the game?
You own a screwdriver dont you? >_>
---
#5JagorosPosted 2/21/2013 1:50:59 AM
Heck, if you don't destroy it getting the disc out, you could sell it for parts on ebay. You might get 20-50 bucks out of it.
---
~Jagoros
#6fakesnoop77(Topic Creator)Posted 2/21/2013 1:51:26 AM
Ok, slightly confused as I already have a Data Transfer Cable from a previous xbox that had RROD.

I was under the impression that these cables are a 'use only once' thing? The cable I have was used to transfer data between two old style hard drives.

So do I need a new cable with different attachments to allow the transfer between the slim HD and the old HD?
---
#7Azrael0206Posted 2/21/2013 1:52:25 AM
fakesnoop77 posted...
Ok, slightly confused as I already have a Data Transfer Cable from a previous xbox that had RROD.

I was under the impression that these cables are a 'use only once' thing? The cable I have was used to transfer data between two old style hard drives.

So do I need a new cable with different attachments to allow the transfer between the slim HD and the old HD?

Wait
What model xbox just now quit on you?
---
#8JagorosPosted 2/21/2013 1:52:50 AM
http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-360/accessories/xbox-360-hard-drive-transfer-cable/78160
---
~Jagoros
#9fakesnoop77(Topic Creator)Posted 2/21/2013 1:54:05 AM
Also, in regards to getting BL2 again, my local store here in the UK has an offer where it comes free with the slim xbox.

Should have made that clearer. Sorry.
---
#10JagorosPosted 2/21/2013 1:54:08 AM
" Transfer the fun to your new Xbox 360. The hard drive transfer cable moves content from any Xbox 360 or hard drive to your new Xbox 360 S or Xbox 360 hard drive. Easily transfer HD movies, music, saved games, player profiles, and even full games installed on your hard drive. Plus, use the cable over and over if you choose to get a new console or hard drive again in the future.

Easily transfer data between any Xbox 360 console or hard drive
Works with all Xbox 360 consoles and hard drives
Usable multiple times

"

Straight from the website description.
---
~Jagoros