One thing I would love to see in a game like this...

#1MGunzCPosted 2/27/2013 5:57:22 AM
... assuming there was more inventory space:

What if the guns could be broken down into their different parts, and you could weaponsmith your own guns from them?

Loot drops could include gun parts, i.e. a Maliwan Sniper Rifle stock, etc. Different rarities for the parts - combining parts from different manufacturers, rarities, or elements would result in a multitude of unique guns.

Then again, this could be so time consuming that it would take away from my time to shoot stuff. Anyway, just a thought.

- - -
How can I miss you if you won't go away?
#2Pvt-SpoonPosted 2/27/2013 6:03:17 AM
I'm sure at some point a game will come around with a random parts generator, maybe not borderlands, but someone will do it. I'd give it run.
#3xHuckleberryPosted 2/27/2013 6:04:49 AM
Maybe if you could destroy a weapon in order to get 1 part from it. So you'd have to farm many guns and destroy them in order to make the "perfect" combo.

Cool idea tho.
#4Argyle_GargoylePosted 2/27/2013 6:06:07 AM
the only problem with that idea is that it would trivialize the entire loot system. the is no real point to having random loot if you also give people the ability to build exactly what they want. people arent going to farm for a better item and leave it to chance when they can just build it

people would quickly find the best possible combination and the majority of people would build that and be done with it.

you cat really have it both ways. the devs went the random loot route
---
Crazy? Crazy with low prices on Wind Brahmin. You buy one!!
#5Pvt-SpoonPosted 2/27/2013 6:11:28 AM
Argyle_Gargoyle posted...
the only problem with that idea is that it would trivialize the entire loot system. the is no real point to having random loot if you also give people the ability to build exactly what they want. people arent going to farm for a better item and leave it to chance when they can just build it

people would quickly find the best possible combination and the majority of people would build that and be done with it.

Yeah, I can see that happening. They would have to have the game based one way or the other. Random loot or random parts, not both. But I imagine you're right, once the best combo was found and posted, that would be pretty much it. Still, I'd give the game a try and see how it was implemented.
#6MGunzC(Topic Creator)Posted 2/27/2013 6:21:10 AM
Of course the parts would have to come in different rarities. I can see how some would just make the 'ultimate gun' and be done with it.

I like variety, and I'd build different versions of all the weapon types and specialize them for the different character classes. But that's just me.

Ever heard of a game called Monster Rancher?
#7Argyle_GargoylePosted 2/27/2013 6:22:29 AM
Pvt-Spoon posted...

Yeah, I can see that happening. They would have to have the game based one way or the other. Random loot or random parts, not both. But I imagine you're right, once the best combo was found and posted, that would be pretty much it. Still, I'd give the game a try and see how it was implemented.

its unfortunate, but it just seems like thats the mindset of a lot of gamers these days. the most powerful possible items/combos are considered the only things worth touching by a large portion of players.

the mindset that "if it aint orange, it aint worth using" is pretty prominent even now. most people tend to ignore most non orange uniques until someone finds a super powered use for it. then the board gets inundated with LF threads from people who likely never even gave the item a try, and tossed it out like garbage
---
Crazy? Crazy with low prices on Wind Brahmin. You buy one!!
#8xHuckleberryPosted 2/27/2013 6:25:01 AM
Pvt-Spoon posted...

its unfortunate, but it just seems like thats the mindset of a lot of gamers these days. the most powerful possible items/combos are considered the only things worth touching by a large portion of players.

the mindset that "if it aint orange, it aint worth using" is pretty prominent even now. most people tend to ignore most non orange uniques until someone finds a super powered use for it. then the board gets inundated with LF threads from people who likely never even gave the item a try, and tossed it out like garbage

Ive been preaching this for a very long time.

Most people just wait until someone else figures it all out, then uses that. Which i cant blame them, cookie cutter builds are a common thing in games like this.
#9Pvt-SpoonPosted 2/27/2013 6:39:37 AM
Nature of the beast I guess. I must admit though. I've come across a few weapons where I didn't like the scope type etc. Might be nice to have a limited option to remove or add said part. And I can imagine some people are missing out on some great gear by chasing down nothing but orange. I found something called a horse cannon that melts faces, purple and worth as much as some orange weapons.
#10MGunzC(Topic Creator)Posted 2/27/2013 6:44:43 AM
I lost count of the number of redtext mission rewards I scrapped because they didn't have a scope on them. Would be nice to tweak them with a part or two.