PLOTHOLE (spoilers)

#11TsurukePosted 3/4/2013 12:19:05 PM
infinite9 posted...
The New-U devices are simply gameplay mechanics and are not part of the actual story. Any jokes referencing the New-U devices are just for the players.
It's kind of like how killing something while dying saves you from death or getting shot in the leg doesn't cripple your character.
The one thing I wonder is how Roland didn't have a shield. I'm pretty sure shields are part of the narrative and not just a gameplay mechanic.

Maybe he did and Jack just had the most game-breaking pistol in the game to the point where 1 shot kills, Stronger than the KSS Glitch. Or has a really strong pistol that bullets goes through shields.
---
XBL GT/PSN: Tsuruke.
#12jloewensteinPosted 3/4/2013 12:26:50 PM
infinite9 posted...

The one thing I wonder is how Roland didn't have a shield. I'm pretty sure shields are part of the narrative and not just a gameplay mechanic.

Trespasser tecnology in Jack's weapon?

Roland was using a depleted Love Thumper?

=P
#13z0mbin3_81Posted 3/4/2013 12:29:18 PM
Anthony Birtch is a bad writer.
---
"Pandas are like frosting, they scare the chipmunks away" - Benjamin Franklin
#14gunsndrosesPosted 3/4/2013 12:32:39 PM
It's borderlands, not an epic narrative. If you're concerning yourself over the complexities of the lore or story, you're doing it wrong.
---
World at War was the best CoD.
#15ClarifinatiousPosted 3/4/2013 12:38:16 PM
I prefer what I consider a minor plot hole a better alternative to Roland is okay and no one can really die so Handsome Jack or anyone killing anyone is pointless. Just the potential for characters to die makes anything more interesting. Immortality is pretty boring if everyone has it, especially in a game like this.
---
SCREAMINGBEATSS posted...
Books? Knowledge is priceless yo
#1650percentGray(Topic Creator)Posted 3/4/2013 2:18:28 PM
Wow, I didn't expect this many replies for just proposing a simple plothole... 0_o

To look at the issue optimistically, I think Roland had a secret New-U machine from Dahl set up in a real secluded place somewhere in Pandora and it would respawn him there so he can lay low.

So is it possible to see him respawned in Borderlands 3?? =D
#17TsurukePosted 3/4/2013 2:37:29 PM(edited)
50percentGray posted...
Wow, I didn't expect this many replies for just proposing a simple plothole... 0_o

But its not (although I do understand it was a proposition)

Tsuruke posted...
Except, Gearbox has confirmed that the New-U Stations are not cannon.

50percentGray posted...
To look at the issue optimistically, I think Roland had a secret New-U machine from Dahl set up in a real secluded place somewhere in Pandora and it would respawn him there so he can lay low.
So is it possible to see him respawned in Borderlands 3?? =D

I believe my quote answers this as well. Dude is d.e.d. -- dead and not likely coming back unless gearbox decides to do another General Knoxx or Zombie Island, etc..
---
XBL GT/PSN: Tsuruke.
#18ReclusivHearts9Posted 3/4/2013 3:50:13 PM
new U devices are not canon
---
GT: ReclusivHearts9
#19ultimakewlPosted 3/4/2013 4:06:36 PM
the short answer is
the new-u stations are just a gameplay device and do not actually exist in the story/world

of course this whole idea is undermined by the 'kill yourself' side quest where you are asked by jack to (you guessed it) kill yourself in exchange for a reward
assuming you decide to kill yourself (you can opt out by picking up the phone and calling the suicide hotline) he then contacts you again laughing at the fact you did it, not at all surprised by the fact you respawned
this means he knew you would respawn before hand
which means the new-u stations do exist in the story/world
which means without further explanation we are left to assume jack is incompetent and never even considered locking the current vault hunters out of the new-u system

of course i choose to believe that angel encrypted/hid/whatever your DNA so that jack could not get to it to remove it and that this all happened without involving the player because there was no point and not everything in the universe needs to revolve around the vault hunters
and as for roland, she was not able to stop jack in time before he could remove the original vault hunters' dna from the system
---
im sure i could find more reasons to disregard everything you said as the incoherent ramblings of a 7 year old with no friends but i dont have the time
#203CDEDPosted 3/4/2013 4:40:57 PM
ultimakewl posted...
the short answer is
the new-u stations are just a gameplay device and do not actually exist in the story/world

of course this whole idea is undermined by the 'kill yourself' side quest where you are asked by jack to (you guessed it) kill yourself in exchange for a reward
assuming you decide to kill yourself (you can opt out by picking up the phone and calling the suicide hotline) he then contacts you again laughing at the fact you did it, not at all surprised by the fact you respawned
this means he knew you would respawn before hand
which means the new-u stations do exist in the story/world
which means without further explanation we are left to assume jack is incompetent and never even considered locking the current vault hunters out of the new-u system

of course i choose to believe that angel encrypted/hid/whatever your DNA so that jack could not get to it to remove it and that this all happened without involving the player because there was no point and not everything in the universe needs to revolve around the vault hunters
and as for roland, she was not able to stop jack in time before he could remove the original vault hunters' dna from the system

you see thats the REAL plothole here.
---
Resident GFAQS Toyota fanboi/ Drift Master
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8175/7893178812_4c1ab3d4cd_b.jpg http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHdriIl7VNw