They said there would be more guns. Why aren't there more guns?

#1WretchedOwlPosted 3/11/2013 8:05:46 AM
Moving a point I made in a topic to its own thread:

Borderlands 2 was released under the allegations that there would in fact be more guns than Borderlands 1 had. Lots more. "Bazillions more" if you will.

I think this is impossible, and here's why.

Each gun in Borderlands 2 is now composed of its parts this way. Lets take a gun I found earlier.

Juicy Ravager. In its title, the word 'Juicy' fills its accessory slot and gives it a 50% crit bonus. The word Ravager is responsible for the Torgue barrel, the one with 4 barrels in it. Now, because this gun is of purple rarity, that automatically gives it the Torgue red/white/black checkered material grade. The mag size for these guns also seems to be tied to its title, and can be either increased or decreased by other variable parts. Its only variable slots just after being given a name are the grip, scope, and the stock. It also automatically gets the Torgue shotgun body, just by being a Torgue shotgun.

Number of variable slots BL2, after title: 4
Prefix/accessory: Juicy, increased crit damage.
stock
scope
grip

Now, in Borderlands 1, lets take one of my old favorites, the AX-300 XX Savage Unforgiven. A legendary revolver.

The name tells us a lot here, but the thing is, aside from the 'Unforgiven' part being a special legendary grade barrel, everything else on this gun is a variable slot. This allows for the guns to be MUCH more defined, and spawn with many many many more different variants.

Number of variable slots BL1, after title:
prefix: Savage, doesn't have a part on the gun itself, but having the word savage in the prefix gives it a significant damage boost.
accessory: Masher, not listed as a title because the Unforgiven title has higher priority. Shows as greatly reduced gun damage, but pellet count x7 in item card.
mag: 6 shot mag, listed as '00' in the name.
stock: stability stock, listed as '3' in the name.
scope: not listed in name, but shows as whatever number x zoom on item card.
material: XX, Jakobs damage material.
body: AX, increased overall stats in body.

Now, with all of that being said/explained, there is no mathematically possibility that there are more different gun variations in Borderlands 2 than there were in Borderlands 1.

Thoughts, comments, concerns. I'd love some feedback on my theory.
---
A lying tongue hates those it crushes, but a flattering mouth works ruin. -- GT: Wretched Owls
#2A_Real_KingPosted 3/11/2013 8:28:57 AM
Ive been thinking the same thing too.All the manufactures have a certain prefix for every gun so its like i see the same guns over and over.Its really easy to notice especially with purples
---
Some People
#3RICKmT3Posted 3/11/2013 8:36:51 AM
Thats something I hate about the series. They advertise so many different guns, yet you always see the same like ten different guns with different stats / attachments. I would rather have the option to take the bayonet attachment off of my pistol or rifle, and put it on another similar gun. Even better, take the crystal or whatever gives a gun elemental properties and put it into a different gun.
#4innersmokePosted 3/11/2013 8:40:49 AM
BL1 had way more badass and differentiated guns, even without gimmicks. I miss my crimson death shotgun
---
GT- Innersmoke
#5WretchedOwl(Topic Creator)Posted 3/11/2013 8:45:30 AM
RICKmT3 posted...
Thats something I hate about the series. They advertise so many different guns, yet you always see the same like ten different guns with different stats / attachments. I would rather have the option to take the bayonet attachment off of my pistol or rifle, and put it on another similar gun. Even better, take the crystal or whatever gives a gun elemental properties and put it into a different gun.

Yeah, a lot of people talked about something like a gunsmithing ability at some point or another. I think it'd be a cool idea, but it would take away from the farming that makes the game worthwhile at lv 50. instance, I've been looking for a Maliwan Impetuious Plasma caster with shock tech, the maliwan grip, and the dahl stock on it. But if I could make that, I wouldn't spend so much of my time opening certain chests and farming Vermiv for the ultimates that have a really high chance to drop e-techs.
---
A lying tongue hates those it crushes, but a flattering mouth works ruin. -- GT: Wretched Owls
#6your other dad sayzPosted 3/11/2013 8:53:38 AM
If you don't eat your meat, you can't have anymore pudding!
---
Currently Playing: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Xbox 360), FarCry 3 (Xbox 360)
I'm on one.
#7Jambi_ManPosted 3/11/2013 9:00:26 AM
your other dad sayz posted...
If you don't eat your meat, you can't have anymore pudding!

All in all, it's just another brick in the wall...
---
TOOLarmy 4 life. Spiral Out.....
#8your other dad sayzPosted 3/11/2013 9:02:54 AM
How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat??
---
Currently Playing: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Xbox 360), FarCry 3 (Xbox 360)
I'm on one.
#9innersmokePosted 3/11/2013 9:06:05 AM
WretchedOwl posted...
RICKmT3 posted...

Yeah, a lot of people talked about something like a gunsmithing ability at some point or another. I think it'd be a cool idea, but it would take away from the farming that makes the game worthwhile at lv 50. instance, I've been looking for a Maliwan Impetuious Plasma caster with shock tech, the maliwan grip, and the dahl stock on it. But if I could make that, I wouldn't spend so much of my time opening certain chests and farming Vermiv for the ultimates that have a really high chance to drop e-techs.

What if gun parts were more specific, want that Dahl stock on your impetuous plasma caster with the maliwan grip? Find another maliwan caster with that part and then you could use it. I feel like that would encourage farming. But general disassembly for parts would render farming pointless
---
GT- Innersmoke
#10WretchedOwl(Topic Creator)Posted 3/11/2013 9:46:39 AM
innersmoke posted...
WretchedOwl posted...
RICKmT3 posted...

What if gun parts were more specific, want that Dahl stock on your impetuous plasma caster with the maliwan grip? Find another maliwan caster with that part and then you could use it. I feel like that would encourage farming. But general disassembly for parts would render farming pointless

Here's what I was thinking that might make this little gunsmithing thing a viable and not completely broken part of the game. Guns that you find can be deconstructed. Only a gun purple rarity, e-tech or legendary can be deconstructed. when deconstructed it has maybe a 20% chance to actually give you ONE gun part, and would otherwise be destroyed rendering nothing. The gun part it gives you would be a random one out of the barrel, scope, body, stock and grip. In order to use it to construct with, all of the parts have to be of the same material grade. I think it really limits getting gun parts, and being able to use them, but still makes farming a big part of the game. It would also add a bit of excitement to all the random useless purples that drop most of the time.
---