Question about this game

#1abort1120Posted 3/17/2013 10:34:38 AM
Was just wondering if this game is worth buying and trying it out. not sure exactly what type of game it is or much about it at all actually. if anyone could help by giving me some info about it to see if i would like it and decide to try it out that would be greatly appreciated! :D
---
Disgaea noob
#2Jambi_ManPosted 3/17/2013 10:44:58 AM(edited)
It's a First Person Shooter, with elements of a RPG. The main point is to level up your character as you shoot your way through the story(and many side missions), and find new guns, shields, items, etc.... It's an absolute lootfest. There are 4 different playable characters, each with their own unique style.....then each of them has different styles within their respective skill trees, that you can choose to build how you like. A 5th downloadable character is also available for purchase. It's one of the best games I've ever played, and is just a blast. The story line isn't too deep, but it's there....and the dialogue is hilarious. If you're down to blow things up, laugh your butt off, and live in a game built for excess, then definitely try BL2 out.
---
No son, never. The blood stays on the blade. One day you'll understand.
#3b_rab_2204Posted 3/17/2013 11:41:01 AM
Very addictive game, the loot becomes intoxicating. With the level up system you are always on the look out for the next bigger and better gun. Every enemy and every chest has a chance to drop pretty much anything so it is hard to quite playing. Then on top of that you are always progressing through your skill trees trying to get stronger and stronger. Even after you beat the game you farm for legendary and unique gear so there is alot of replay value in my mind, but it can be a grind, but if it gets to boring trying to get one specific gun then there are alot of good people on this board willing to help you out. I would advise talking a friend into playing it with you as it is way more fun playing coop, but if you dont mind a challenge you can solo it, plus there are always people on the boards you can play with if you don't mind randos. My only knock on the game is that in order to get to max level you have to play through the stroy line twice, or as they call it true vault hunter mode, but tvhm is the exact same playthrough with a better chance at loot. All in all though one of the best game ive ever played and and worth the 60 bucks.
---
GT: SixGunShray
#4gunsndrosesPosted 3/17/2013 12:05:23 PM
My advice: grab a friend, get him to get the original Borderlands with you. It's essentially the exact game, and IMO, better. It will be loads cheaper, too.

That being said, BL2 is a wonderful game. It's just a shame that you have to kill bosses ad nauseum in BL2 in order to get the best equipment. BL1 handled legendaries a lot better.
---
My name is Ozymandias, king of kings.
#5KellyRipyaPosted 3/17/2013 1:16:16 PM
Gunsnroses, is loot drops your only criteria for saying the original BL is the 'better' of the two?

I'm asking because I know a lot of people have long since finished multiple playthroughs of BL2 and so legendary drop rates have since taken precedence over story, enemy variety, settings, mission structure, etc etc, but I'm still in the middle of my first playthrough and it seems a no-brainer that the sequel is the better game of the two.
---
I love what I destroy and destroy the thing I love
GT: Althea N Hell
#6gunsndrosesPosted 3/17/2013 1:33:19 PM
KellyRipya posted...
Gunsnroses, is loot drops your only criteria for saying the original BL is the 'better' of the two?

I'm asking because I know a lot of people have long since finished multiple playthroughs of BL2 and so legendary drop rates have since taken precedence over story, enemy variety, settings, mission structure, etc etc, but I'm still in the middle of my first playthrough and it seems a no-brainer that the sequel is the better game of the two.

BL1 allowed for you to feasibly find legendaries in chests. BL2 made legendaries stupidly rare in chests, forcing players to farm bosses, and alienating most of the player base. You should know that most people who bought BL2 are not huge gamers like me or you- farming gets understandably boring and tedious for them.

BL1's characters were awesome. I'd take BL1's playable characters over BL2's any day. Roland was a beast, Lilith was overpowered as ****, Mordecai was my absolute favorite, and well.. Brick was lacking, but still good nonetheless.

BL1 has spectacular DLC- miles ahead of the quality of BL2's. Knoxx was the literal definition of "perfection" for a DLC.

That's not to deny BL1's shortcomings and BL2's strengths, though. BL1 had a terrible story. BL2 provided us with a pretty good story.

I'd also take BL1's legendaries and pearlescents over what BL2 has given us. The pearlescents, too. The Bessie and the Serpens were my two favorite guns, ever.

---

tl;dr
The loot system is a major reason of why I prefer BL1 over BL2, but there are many, many other reasons otherwise.
---
#7KellyRipyaPosted 3/17/2013 2:51:59 PM
Thanks for the reply, it sounds reasonable to me now. They definitely mucked up the drops from the first game, it's the only problem I have but it is a big problem.
---
I love what I destroy and destroy the thing I love
GT: Althea N Hell
#8Evil SquallPosted 3/17/2013 3:46:33 PM
BL1 has spectacular DLC- miles ahead of the quality of BL2's. Knoxx was the literal definition of "perfection" for a DLC.

**** Knoxx. The no fast travel absolutely ruined that DLC. I hated it almost as much as Underdome. The DLC's for Borderlands werent all that great, stop looking back with rose color glasses. The two better ones (Ned and Robot Revolution) are about on par with the second's DLC's. When comparing the two arena DLC's Torgue obviously blows Underdome out of the water.
---
Currently Playing: Borderlands 2 : Maya Lvl 50
It's not until you lose everything that you are free to do anything
#9Jambi_ManPosted 3/17/2013 4:14:32 PM
gunsndroses posted...
KellyRipya posted...

BL1 allowed for you to feasibly find legendaries in chests. BL2 made legendaries stupidly rare in chests, forcing players to farm bosses, and alienating most of the player base. You should know that most people who bought BL2 are not huge gamers like me or you- farming gets understandably boring and tedious for them.

BL1's characters were awesome. I'd take BL1's playable characters over BL2's any day. Roland was a beast, Lilith was overpowered as ****, Mordecai was my absolute favorite, and well.. Brick was lacking, but still good nonetheless.

That's not to deny BL1's shortcomings and BL2's strengths, though. BL1 had a terrible story. BL2 provided us with a pretty good story.

I'd also take BL1's legendaries and pearlescents over what BL2 has given us. The pearlescents, too. The Bessie and the Serpens were my two favorite guns, ever.

---

tl;dr
The loot system is a major reason of why I prefer BL1 over BL2, but there are many, many other reasons otherwise.

I respectfully disagree with everything you said. With the exceptions being that yes, I do agree that oranges were found in chests more in 1, and the story thing.
---
No son, never. The blood stays on the blade. One day you'll understand.
#10gunsndrosesPosted 3/18/2013 3:44:40 AM
@Jambi-

You're seriously trying to tell me that BL2's DLC was better than BL1's?
---