Zero the Assassin

#1PsyborgasmPosted 3/19/2013 11:52:42 PM
Hey folks,

Just got this game as a birthday present. I immediately chose Zero as my character. So far I'm specing all-out Sniper. Is this a good way to go? I'm noticing the class special ability seems like it would be better for close range. Though, it's very possible I'm just doing it all wrong as I am a newb.

Also, I've been having bad luck finding a sniper rifle that isn't really awful. Is there a vendor that has decent rifles?
#2PryorbeastPosted 3/20/2013 12:10:10 AM
I generally play as a sniper with Zer0. Patience is a must and is very low with most players in this game. If u join online games randomly u well likely find urself more of a tag along.

As far as his build, sniper can do some big damage without ever getting close enough to get hit back. Learn enemy critical points and burn them into ur scope. First playthrough is pretty sniper friendly.

In ur second playthrough...ur prob gonna need to party and/or go with the cunning build for more rounded damage. U may get a couple sniper shots off but ur going to find urself closer to enemies than u ever wanna be.

I personally stayed sniper all 50 levels. Find some reliable ppl to play with, perhaps here as gamefaqs friends are generally very helpful, and hang a few steps behind the crowd. Take potshots at everything u can. Use Decepti0n as a decoy so u can put some distance between u and the enemies...or to give u enough time to receive others uninterrupted.
---
XBL: Pryor Beast
Kik/Line Mobile Apps: Pryorbeast
#3The_Hungry_OnePosted 3/20/2013 12:49:45 AM
Zer0 is my most used character with over 9 days of play time, and whilst I don't particularly enjoy the Sniper tree, I do enjoy using sniper rifles in general, so a few skills from that tree can be rather helpful such as: Headsh0t, Vel0city and B0re. Of course, others may disagree and at the end of the day, it boils down to you on what you like.

Pryorbeast is correct about your second run through the game after killing the final boss, and you will more than likely find yourself relying on closer range weapons like SMGs and shotguns. Not always the case, but still, it is quite likely. Many players, including myself, who like using Zer0 will recommend going down the Cunning tree in order to get yourself the Death Mark skill and Death Bl0ss0m skill. Death Mark tags the target when you melee them, and increases all damage by 20% for 8 seconds. Death Bl0ss0m applies this affect via Kunai you can throw whilst in Decepti0n without breaking out of Decepti0n.

Whether it is a glitch or not, but Death Mark via Death Bl0ss0m can stack up to 4 times, and if you have 4 players playing as Zer0 and you all use Death Bl0ss0m at the same time on the same target, it could potentially stack up to 320% extra damage for 8 seconds. Cunning is a very useful skill tree for damage, and is almost necessary whether you want to focus on long or close range combat when playing as Zer0.
---
Long days and pleasant nights.
#4Argyle_GargoylePosted 3/20/2013 5:11:08 AM
i use a cunning/b0re build. very fun. great damage good for sniping as well as other weapon choices. this is the build is use. switch the points in OSOK and velocity of you dont have an infinity pistol

http://talent.87bazillion.com/2/assassin.php?505051300051505103510000000000
---
Crazy? Crazy with low prices on Wind Brahmin. You buy one!!
#5Psyborgasm(Topic Creator)Posted 3/20/2013 7:11:51 AM
Thanks guys! I think i will keep the sniper build for now, and switch it up second time going through the game. The cunning tree does look really cool.
#6Wallcrawler8878Posted 3/20/2013 9:58:35 AM
Ravager Shotgun to the face FTW.

Love that shotgun on my melee zero. Anything that didnt get killed during many must fall, usually a super badass or something, gets a big shot in the face with that gun. Its quite satisfying.
#7gunsndrosesPosted 3/20/2013 12:06:40 PM
Don't hop on the bandwagon.. Death Blossom is just stupid, IMO. Ita stupidly powerful, and it doesn't fit into a gun game like this.

Critical Ascension is awesome, especially if you will be doing little more than sniping.
---
My name is Ozymandias, king of kings.
#8The_Hungry_OnePosted 3/20/2013 12:21:32 PM
gunsndroses posted...
Don't hop on the bandwagon.. Death Blossom is just stupid, IMO. Ita stupidly powerful, and it doesn't fit into a gun game like this.

Critical Ascension is awesome, especially if you will be doing little more than sniping.

Critical Ascensi0n would be slightly more worthwhile (not to say it has any worth) than it does if your stack didn't deplete within seconds of not making a critical hit. Death Bl0ss0m is just awesome and fits perfectly well with the character, which has a perfect fit within the game. It's powerful, yes, but it's damage is based entirely on your strength, and that stat isn't that high. A melee build requires certain equipment to make it viable, and whilst I love Many Must Fall, it's just not powerful enough to deal with those Super Badasses.

Most skills in the Sniper tree are utter s***, with the exception of B0re and OSOK (even when used on a regular sniper rifle or shotgun, it is fairly good) and I feel that's part of the reason why so many Zer0 players, myself included, mainly go Cunning. Zer0 isn't a character designed for consistently high DPS; instead I feel he is more designed toward doing absolutely massive spike damage.
---
#9gunsndrosesPosted 3/20/2013 12:25:24 PM
Critical Ascension decays like it is supposed to. You aren't supposed to have stacks of it present at all times. That would be absurd.

Instead, look at what it is meant to be- a boss ravaging skill that will make mincemeat of almost any boss. You aren't supposed to have the stacks all the time, the decay is fine. Idk why people don't understand this..
---
My name is Ozymandias, king of kings.
#10The_Hungry_OnePosted 3/20/2013 12:29:04 PM
gunsndroses posted...
Critical Ascension decays like it is supposed to. You aren't supposed to have stacks of it present at all times. That would be absurd.

Instead, look at what it is meant to be- a boss ravaging skill that will make mincemeat of almost any boss. You aren't supposed to have the stacks all the time, the decay is fine. Idk why people don't understand this..

It is able to stack to 999. What is the point of a ludicrously high number if you will NEVER reach it? The interval before it starts to deplete is too short, and the rate it actually depletes is too fast.
---