I'm getting bored of using melee with Zer0.

#1The_Hungry_OnePosted 3/21/2013 9:16:44 AM
So I'm thinking about going back to the original build I had before, where I went down to B0re on the Sniper tree and down to Death Bl0ss0m on the Cunning tree. However, I like my Legendary Hunter COM, and I feel that the Cunning/Sniper hybrid doesn't really benefit from this COM as much as Cunning/Bloodshed.

Despite this, I'm still bored of using melee and want to put out a higher consistent DPS and still put out impressive burst damage that Zer0 is known for. To date, the highest damage I've dealt is a nifty 10972K using Captain Blade's Rapier and a 30% strength relic. With me melee build though, my DPS isn't that good, and despite massive damage like this happening from time to time, it doesn't make up for the low DPS, I feel.

Also, my current melee build is mostly useful when the target has <25% health remaining and that's when the big numbers come in, but despite that, I want a change. I remember having alot of fun using B0re and a fast firing Hyperion shotgun against Terramorphous and especially BNK-3R where B0re tends to annihilate BNK-3R in a matter of moments. My main issue is finding a good COM. I'm not too bothered about not using my Legendary Hunter COM, but the build is going to be about killing the standard foes and bosses (including the harder "raid" bosses), and putting out consistently high DPS with even higher burst damage thanks to Decepti0n.

I'm asking for advice on COMs and opinions on what skills to take. Thanks for reading this stupidly long post.. I seem to be making a habit of this..
---
Long days and pleasant nights.
#2MoeLester518Posted 3/21/2013 10:02:11 AM
Honestly I find the legendary hunter com to be bad for melee zer0. I personally use a ninja mod since backstab to me is the real damage dealer.

If you want good DPS I like specing into cunning/sniper with 5 points in one shot one kil and using the infinity pistol since every shot will get a 60% bonus. OSOK, two fang, and a decent sherrifs badge destroys people. I use a legendary class mod with this class since i like the regen effect of it.
---
GT: Myneegrows518
PSN: moelester518
#3The_Hungry_One(Topic Creator)Posted 3/21/2013 10:48:33 AM
OSOK is a good skill, and not just for Infinity, but I don't want a build focused on using the Infinity in order to get my damage. However, I do intend to farm for the Skullmasher and once I obtain that rifle, it will be a mainstay in my quickslots, and I'd imagine that it would be a good gun to pull out in Decepti0n for the last moment shot for insane damage. I could be wrong though.

I'm torn on how to build this class. I don't really want Tw0 Fang, but I don't see anywhere else I can put those points. Perhaps I could dump them into Fearless once I get Rough Rider if I go for it.
---
#4JimiMorrison187Posted 3/21/2013 11:00:36 AM
Been playing Sal this time and am thinking about going back to my Maya and Zer0 files where they both were dumped after PT 1. I beat PT 1 with Zer0 at LEvel 26...lol
---
http://dudelol.com/DO-NOT-HOTLINK-IMAGES/my-favorite-day-man.jpg
#5MoeLester518Posted 3/21/2013 11:20:01 AM
The_Hungry_One posted...
OSOK is a good skill, and not just for Infinity, but I don't want a build focused on using the Infinity in order to get my damage. However, I do intend to farm for the Skullmasher and once I obtain that rifle, it will be a mainstay in my quickslots, and I'd imagine that it would be a good gun to pull out in Decepti0n for the last moment shot for insane damage. I could be wrong though.

I'm torn on how to build this class. I don't really want Tw0 Fang, but I don't see anywhere else I can put those points. Perhaps I could dump them into Fearless once I get Rough Rider if I go for it.

I had an all Jacobs build before I got the infinity so I would definitely sat ho for the skullmasher. But when someone traded me an infinity and nor fleet for c0al train I had to build around it. The novelty of the infinity hasn't worn off on me yet. Now I'm running an all pistol build. I recommend it.

I agree on two fang but what else can you put it in?
---
GT: Myneegrows518
PSN: moelester518
#6The_Hungry_One(Topic Creator)Posted 3/21/2013 11:47:43 AM
I quite like the idea of an all-Jakobs build, and I have a good start with a straight shooting Maggie but the Skullmasher is certainly a needed for me. I remember having it in Borderlands 1, and shooting a Runner with it was hilarious.

Anyway, a Skullmasher is needed, so what other guns could you recommend? I don't mind what type of gun it would be.

Tw0 Fang wouldn't be so bad if for a couple of reasons;

1: it did not consume ammo.

2: it fired simultaneously with the first bullet that triggered the skill so as to reduce the likelihood it did not fire at the peak of the initial bullet's recoil.

I don't see where else I could spend those points. C0unter Strike would be useless in this build, so that's a no go. Fearless is a possibility, more so if I had Rough Rider. Unf0reseen is a possibility, but I imagine it would cause more inconvenience than boon. Really, these are my only options if I do not want to take Tw0 Fang.

As for the Sniper tree, I'm more or less okay with that. Max out Headsh0t, Precisi0n, B0re and OSOK. I've no interest in kill skills, which is why I won't put any points in Killer, although it would be handy during groups of fodder, but kill skills sway the build more towards mobs than bosses, and I want a healthy balance of both.

Then it's the COMs. I have a couple in my inventory at the moment, but any advice which ones to go for (that isn't Slayer or Legendary) that would be appreciated too.
---
#7terabientPosted 3/21/2013 1:25:39 PM
If you're going for a gunner Zer0 I'd suggest picking up a class mod that adds +6 to Rising Shot, since that's the most consistent way of upping gun damage. Disturbed Stalker is the usual suggestion because it adds to Pistol firerate and magazine size, but the other two skills it mods are Counter Strike and Followthrough which may not appeal to you. A Disturbed Survivor mod with +6 in Rising Shot and +5 in Ambush might be a better fit.

As for Two Fang vs other options...well, I'm a pretty big fan of Fearless, and I usually pick it over Two Fang, but it depends on what shields/guns you're using. In my experience Two Fang is pretty great on pistols, difficult to manage with sniper rifles, and...hard to notice on SMGs and shotguns. Fearless is great if you're using a shield with a 5 second or longer recharge delay and when you're in FFYL, but if you plan on having your shield up most of the time it's best to skip it. Unforeseen is okay at crowd control, but not really worth the points you'd be putting into it; I personally don't see much of a difference between Unforeseen at level 1 and Unforeseen at level 5.
---
What everyone needs to do is calm down, take a deep breath, and prepare their bodies for the Thunderdome.
GT: janejana
#8Wallcrawler8878Posted 3/21/2013 1:41:44 PM
Maybe Im missing something, but the Skullmasher seems kinda junky to me.

I have the Chikamin variant, something like 9300 or so X5, but then they smack you with that lovely -66% damage stat, and what was once a pretty awesome damage stat becomes pretty average.

Over longer distances, which is naturally what a sniper rifle should be, it gets worse still because the pellets spread out, and not all of them hit your target.

I found myself running out of ammo a lot with this rifle, and not getting a lot of kills.

Id be happy to trade it to you if you get tired of farming SoM, and Pete for it, as it pretty much just sits in my bank as more of a trophy than an actual tool.
#9Kpt_KapowskiPosted 3/21/2013 2:23:17 PM
Wallcrawler8878 posted...
Maybe Im missing something, but the Skullmasher seems kinda junky to me.

I have the Chikamin variant, something like 9300 or so X5, but then they smack you with that lovely -66% damage stat, and what was once a pretty awesome damage stat becomes pretty average.

Over longer distances, which is naturally what a sniper rifle should be, it gets worse still because the pellets spread out, and not all of them hit your target.

I found myself running out of ammo a lot with this rifle, and not getting a lot of kills.

Id be happy to trade it to you if you get tired of farming SoM, and Pete for it, as it pretty much just sits in my bank as more of a trophy than an actual tool.

the -66% damage is already factored in.

As for Jakobs only, its waaaayyy fun. a relic helps alot with recoil and accuracy recovery, or mag size if you prefer that. I used a Skookum Muckamuck, a Two Fer or Trick Shot Maggie, a Docs or Rustlers Striker, and a Hammer Buster. Good times were had. I suppose you could substitute a good Coach Gun, Quad, or Twister for the Striker, and the Skully you want for the Muckamuck.

When I rolled this build, I just stuck with my Deadly Sniper com.
---
Borderlands 2 BAR: 79138
#10The_Hungry_One(Topic Creator)Posted 3/22/2013 1:36:01 AM
I'm liking the thought of an all-Jakobs build. I have a Straight Shootin' Maggie, but I think the Two Fer is definitely worth getting. I want the Skullmasher, but damn is SoM annoying. Gearbox screwed us over when it comes to the WEP; running to SoM (even from the Annex) is annoying, only to find that his loot flies out of bounds when you kill him.

What's so good about the Striker, and where would I get one from, and what about the Hammer Buster? Are there any other worthwhile guns from Jakobs? It doesn't necessarily need to be a Legendary.
---