They're literally charging money for a level increase and rare weapons

#41RaptorkittyPosted 3/24/2013 8:06:13 PM
N7Spectre707 posted...
Raptorkitty posted...
N7Spectre707 posted...
Raptorkitty posted...
Can someone explain to me the EXACT problem with EA's business model?

They charge too much for too little content.

And then they send a rep to your house who holds a gun to your head and forces you to support them with your money.

Could you give me some examples? I'm still not understanding.

For instance, did you get dead space 3?

If you did, then surely you remember upon starting the game you heard a knock at the door. It was probably a sharp looking guy in a suit, dark sunglasses, didn't talk much, had a bright EA badge? Then he just calmly walks into your house, directs you how to find the micro transactions, and then puts a gun to your head and forces you to buy them.

I have not picked it up yet but would like to. I thought their micros for that were skins and extra resources and the like though?
---
GT: KittyKitty13 Playing: Borderlands 2
Official Dual GSoA on the Dark Souls board
#42N7Spectre707Posted 3/24/2013 8:11:36 PM(edited)
Raptorkitty posted...
N7Spectre707 posted...
Raptorkitty posted...
N7Spectre707 posted...
Raptorkitty posted...
Can someone explain to me the EXACT problem with EA's business model?

They charge too much for too little content.

And then they send a rep to your house who holds a gun to your head and forces you to support them with your money.

Could you give me some examples? I'm still not understanding.

For instance, did you get dead space 3?

If you did, then surely you remember upon starting the game you heard a knock at the door. It was probably a sharp looking guy in a suit, dark sunglasses, didn't talk much, had a bright EA badge? Then he just calmly walks into your house, directs you how to find the micro transactions, and then puts a gun to your head and forces you to buy them.

I have not picked it up yet but would like to. I thought their micros for that were skins and extra resources and the like though?

Yeah, and the only LOGICAL reason people would complain about those is if EA actually forced you to buy them. Which they did. By force.
---
"I saw GAMEFAQs with faqs being spelled like faqs instead of facts I figured poor grammar to be welcomed"
-MiKe345675
#43RaptorkittyPosted 3/24/2013 8:16:21 PM
N7Spectre707 posted...

Yeah, and the only LOGICAL reason people would complain about those is if EA actually forced you to buy them. Which they did. By force.

So the main reason I don't understand the issue is because there isn't a sensible one?

Because I had no problem with the ones in ME3. I thought it was cool and, as such, they were able to release free MP DLC.
---
GT: KittyKitty13 Playing: Borderlands 2
Official Dual GSoA on the Dark Souls board
#44N7Spectre707Posted 3/24/2013 8:19:40 PM
Raptorkitty posted...
N7Spectre707 posted...

So the main reason I don't understand the issue is because there isn't a sensible one?

Because I had no problem with the ones in ME3. I thought it was cool and, as such, they were able to release free MP DLC.

Not sure if WHOOOOSH
---
"I saw GAMEFAQs with faqs being spelled like faqs instead of facts I figured poor grammar to be welcomed"
-MiKe345675
#45Master XPosted 3/24/2013 8:26:34 PM
It's $5. WHAT. THE. ****. IS. WRONG. WITH. YOU?!

Good lord... They make things, you buy things. It's how it works, is it that hard to understand? Bonus? Yes, it is a bonus...FOR SEASON PASS HOLDERS. It's not Gearbox's or our fault you didn't buy the season pass so don't receive it as a bonus.

Oh and it's $5.

$5.

You can read, right? 5 DOLLARS. I can only assume between the first post and the next 3 pages (that I didn't read) you've been outed as a troll, otherwise you're the poorest person on Earth and don't actually own the game because you couldn't afford it, so this shouldn't even concern you.
---
GAMERTAG: Casperstar X "For those of you wondering whether the above made sense, you've just answered your own question."
#46GuitarshredderzPosted 3/24/2013 8:46:09 PM
Ummm maybe because gearbox is a business??? They make games for us to enjoy, so they can make money. If they made everything free we wouldnt have borderlands in the first place would we. 5 bucks lol. Thats all that is. A meal at wendys. A dozen donuts at dunkin donuts. Hell go beg on the streets and im sure youll make 5 bucks in the first 10 mins ur out there. I think you should thank gearbox for the time they took from their lives to give u a lvl increase...oh wait thats what the 5 bucks are for
---
Gt: GuitarShredderz
#47demonwithinPosted 3/24/2013 8:51:51 PM
@RaptorKitty
EA has in the past has sold (for dollars) unlocks to cheat codes and even in game currency.
They are also looked at as the originator of "Project: $10". This is the practice of making the online features linked to a one use code. This was done to help discourage buying used copies of their sports franchises.
Another big thing that upsets a lot of people is when you buy DLC and the size of the file is less than 1MB. This means that the content is on the disc and you are paying more to unlock despite having already bought the disc and the content. This practice seems to be more associated with Capcom, but I'm fairly positive other companies have done this.

All this being said, I have less problems with Borderlands and even CoD DLC. A couple gig program doesn't just fall out of the sky. And Gearbox giving the level cap to all season pass owners was a simple thing to buy them some good will amongst the hardcore fans.

I think the real issue is that there would be the occasional dlc "freebie" that is happening less and less. Part of it might be Halo 4 giving away all the Spartan Ops stuff for free. It shows that it can be done, even though I surmise it is only possible because it is a flagship for 360 and is first party published and is waiving any bandwidth (or however they itemize it) fees on that content.
---
"You think I'm Vicious?! YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT VICIOUS IS!!!!!!!!" Spike Spiegel
#48Guillermo55Posted 3/24/2013 9:22:58 PM
It never ceases to amaze me how much **** people will happily put up with. This just seems scummy.
---
http://i.imgur.com/2JZtq.jpg http://i.imgur.com/cm8Fy.jpg http://i.imgur.com/kvK4g.jpg http://i.imgur.com/5vPpu.jpg
#49kinggoldfingerPosted 3/24/2013 9:40:51 PM
I get games as gifts, and then buy the DLC/ online content. So far, I haven't even spent the price of the actual game. And, I'm probably not going to get the new character... looks kinda stupid to me.
---
The Princess is in another Castle.
Punching trees gives me wood.
#50kylekillgannonPosted 3/24/2013 10:02:17 PM
It's a bit silly to charge for a level cap increase, as it's so easy to do that you can literally patch it in: As they have done before and Bethesda is currently doing.

So it's probably $5 for Atlas weapons or something.
---
History is written by those who have hanged heroes.